Devialet Chat
Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? (/Thread-Have-I-made-the-wrong-choice-with-Devialet)

Pages: 1 2

Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Dev_Steve - 07-Nov-2018

I decided to upgrade my sound system a month ago, so I bought an Expert Pro 250, Wilson Sabrinas and a LP12 with Windfeld Ti cartridge. I use the system to listen to vinyl, stream some music (vinyl is my preference) and to hook the system up to my TV and game consoles for video streaming with AppleTV and gaming with a PS4 Pro, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch. 

I am considering buying another 250 so that I can go dual-mono, but I keep thinking to myself that perhaps there are better solutions. I was shocked and disappointed about how noisy the phono stage is on the 250 with a low output cartridge. And the only way to fix that was to spend another $1700 on an Ortofon SUT to match the Windfeld (a solution which was provided by this community and not Devialet). I was also surprised by the amount of negativity focused on Devialet, especially with regard to their customer service and their failure to deliver on the promise of Core Infinity. This then got me to wondering how much of that purchase price on the Expert Pro is going to operating Devialet's fancy stores in New York City, their sales staff, etc. etc., essentially, how much money am I spending on overhead that is specific to Devialet (with only the likes of Bose having similar costs) and how much is actually going to the cost of the product itself?

So before I spend a grand total of almost $40,000 to power my speakers, I was wondering what your experience has been with the 1000. I'm guessing that the 1000 isn't your first system. Are you satisfied with it? Do you feel you are getting a system which is comparable to what you would get if you spent the same amount on separate components with manufacturers who don't have similar costs to Devialet? Given how I use the 250, do you think there are better alternatives given the total cost of 1000? 

Would love to hear everyone's experiences and input. And thank you so much. Even though there may be dissatisfaction with the company, this community is extraordinarily helpful and positive.

-Steve

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Drifter - 07-Nov-2018

Can't help you with your 1000 PRO upgrade question or the Phono one for that matter.
What I can say is that going from a 220 to 440 was a significant upgrade. It added more power (obviously) but that broadened the soundstage, increased resolution and detail at lower volumes and simply resulted in my speakers sounding more effortless. I'm sure the move from 250 to 1000 will yield the same type of results.
I'm often astounded at the negativity towards the Devialet. Yes their streaming solution took some time to mature and yes it only gathered speed after lots of people moaned. After many battles with streaming two things sorted my issues out, the CI upgrade and throwing out my Apple Airport Extreme. My system is now rock solid, not a single stutter, no "device in use" issues, nothing but pure audio.
When I look at the amount of issues people have with expensive German vehicles, with operating system software from the largest software houses in the world etc etc, the issues that people had with Devialet is definitely not unique to them. Just today I had the opportunity to listen to a set of Vivid Audio G1 driven by an mono set of D-Premiers and my goodness, the combo sounded magical. I compare that to a set of B&W 800D driven by a Synthesis valve amp or a set of Sonus Faber Amati Futura driven by Naim (both that I listened to recently) and my choice would be the "ancient" set of D-premiers every time.
Anycase those are my thoughts

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Dev_Steve - 07-Nov-2018

(07-Nov-2018, 19:05)Drifter Wrote: Can't help you with your 1000 PRO upgrade question or the Phono one for that matter.
What I can say is that going from a 220 to 440 was a significant upgrade. It added more power (obviously) but that broadened the soundstage, increased resolution and detail at lower volumes and simply resulted in my speakers sounding more effortless. I'm sure the move from 250 to 1000 will yield the same type of results.
I'm often astounded at the negativity towards the Devialet. Yes their streaming solution took some time to mature and yes it only gathered speed after lots of people moaned. After many battles with streaming two things sorted my issues out, the CI upgrade and throwing out my Apple Airport Extreme. My system is now rock solid, not a single stutter, no "device in use" issues, nothing but pure audio.
When I look at the amount of issues people have with expensive German vehicles, with operating system software from the largest software houses in the world etc etc, the issues that people had with Devialet is definitely not unique to them. Just today I had the opportunity to listen to a set of Vivid Audio G1 driven by an mono set of D-Premiers and my goodness, the combo sounded magical. I compare that to a set of B&W 800D driven by a Synthesis valve amp or a set of Sonus Faber Amati Futura driven by Naim (both that I listened to recently) and my choice would be the "ancient" set of D-premiers every time.
Anycase those are my thoughts
That's great feedback! Really appreciate your input.

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Confused - 07-Nov-2018

I wouldn't worry about the cost of Devialet's fancy stores in NY. (or London for that matter, we have them too) The only thing that really matters is sound quality verses the cash needed to buy. I think all "high end" hifi products have epically large mark ups. Of course, the manufactures need to spend lots of cash on R&D, marketing, advertising, shows, dealer mark-ups and all the rest of it. Plus, I think the Devialet stores are mainly there to push Phantom sales.

I would say that the 1000Pro is competitively priced with respect to the performance offered from their rivals, and I have listened to some far more expensive set-ups which were comparable, rather than obviously better. Subjective preference plays a part here of course, but I do not think you can get something definitively superior to the 1000Pro for the same money, although you might easily find something you prefer.

As for the constant moaning and dissatisfaction with Devialet, I have started to become rather fond of this aspect of Devialet ownership, I would miss it a little if Devialet do ever get their act together, plus it does not make the amp sound any different.

One thing I do wonder about is the benefit of moving to the 1000Pro. I have seen one or two comments on this forum stating that the margin between the 1000Pro and the 250Pro is fairly small. I think the difference might be dependent on how easy the speakers are to drive. I believe the Sabrina's are fairly "amplifier friendly". So no doubt the 1000Pro will be better than a 250Pro, the question is by what kind of a margin.

One question to yourself Steve - You are already running a 250Pro + Sabrinas, so basically if you move to the 1000Pro you will have a very slightly better version of what you have now, but it will sound pretty much the same. So issues with the phono hiss accepted, are you otherwise happy with the sound of your system?

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Dev_Steve - 07-Nov-2018

(07-Nov-2018, 19:42)Confused Wrote: I wouldn't worry about the cost of Devialet's fancy stores in NY.  (or London for that matter, we have them too)  The only thing that really matters is sound quality verses the cash needed to buy.  I think all "high end" hifi products have epically large mark ups.  Of course, the manufactures need to spend lots of cash on R&D, marketing, advertising, shows, dealer mark-ups and all the rest of it.  Plus, I think the Devialet stores are mainly there to push Phantom sales.

I would say that the 1000Pro is competitively priced with respect to the performance offered from their rivals, and I have listened to some far more expensive set-ups which were comparable, rather than obviously better.  Subjective preference plays a part here of course, but I do not think you can get something definitively superior to the 1000Pro for the same money, although you might easily find something you prefer.

As for the constant moaning and dissatisfaction with Devialet, I have started to become rather fond of this aspect of Devialet ownership, I would miss it a little if Devialet do ever get their act together, plus it does not make the amp sound any different.

One thing I do wonder about is the benefit of moving to the 1000Pro.  I have seen one or two comments on this forum stating that the margin between the 1000Pro and the 250Pro is fairly small.  I think the difference might be dependent on how easy the speakers are to drive.  I believe the Sabrina's are fairly "amplifier friendly".  So no doubt the 1000Pro will be better than a 250Pro, the question is by what kind of a margin.

One question to yourself Steve - You are already running a 250Pro + Sabrinas, so basically if you move to the 1000Pro you will have a very slightly better version of what you have now, but it will sound pretty much the same.  So issues with the phono hiss accepted, are you otherwise happy with the sound of your system?
That's a great question. Yes, I'm happy with the sound. In fact, I was just playing Air's "Moon Safari" and being amazed at how buttery-smooth it sounds. That said, there's always that nagging thought that we have with this hobby, which is "how much better can I make it?" So again, that question becomes do I take this additional money and double down on Devialet or do I search for another direction?

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - rwjr44 - 07-Nov-2018

(07-Nov-2018, 20:08)Dev_Steve Wrote:
(07-Nov-2018, 19:42)Confused Wrote: I wouldn't worry about the cost of Devialet's fancy stores in NY.  (or London for that matter, we have them too)  The only thing that really matters is sound quality verses the cash needed to buy.  I think all "high end" hifi products have epically large mark ups.  Of course, the manufactures need to spend lots of cash on R&D, marketing, advertising, shows, dealer mark-ups and all the rest of it.  Plus, I think the Devialet stores are mainly there to push Phantom sales.

I would say that the 1000Pro is competitively priced with respect to the performance offered from their rivals, and I have listened to some far more expensive set-ups which were comparable, rather than obviously better.  Subjective preference plays a part here of course, but I do not think you can get something definitively superior to the 1000Pro for the same money, although you might easily find something you prefer.

One thing I do wonder about is the benefit of moving to the 1000Pro.  I have seen one or two comments on this forum stating that the margin between the 1000Pro and the 250Pro is fairly small.  I think the difference might be dependent on how easy the speakers are to drive.  I believe the Sabrina's are fairly "amplifier friendly".  So no doubt the 1000Pro will be better than a 250Pro, the question is by what kind of a margin.

One question to yourself Steve - You are already running a 250Pro + Sabrinas, so basically if you move to the 1000Pro you will have a very slightly better version of what you have now, but it will sound pretty much the same.  So issues with the phono hiss accepted, are you otherwise happy with the sound of your system?
That's a great question. Yes, I'm happy with the sound. In fact, I was just playing Air's "Moon Safari" and being amazed at how buttery-smooth it sounds. That said, there's always that nagging thought that we have with this hobby, which is "how much better can I make it?" So again, that question becomes do I take this additional money and double down on Devialet or do I search for another direction?

Just enjoy the "buttery-smooth" sound and smile.  Smile

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - mdconnelly - 07-Nov-2018

I'm with @Drifter on the impact of going dual mono. For me, going from a single 220 Pro to the 440 Pro significantly improved the immersive experience. Tonally, it will still sound just like what you have, but transient response, dynamics, base impact, etc... all contribute to a more immersive, musically engaging experience. I really can't speak to whether it's worth the price of admission or if there is something better out there... but I'd be quite surprised if you weren't impressed by the improvement a 2nd 250 would bring. Then again, I'm certain your 250 is already making your Sabrinas sing.

And while Devialet certainly leaves many wanting in certain areas such as communication and pace of development, they do make astounding audio components and that's what it's all about.

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - kompressor - 08-Nov-2018

Why not change to a more suitable cartridge, less costly? Is the cartridge loaded correctly in the configurator? Should get a good trade in for your Ortofon or sell privately.

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Jim_Anderson - 08-Nov-2018

Steve

I'm also at the same point of considering a second 250. I've been fortunate to go from 130 -> 170 -> 200 -> 220ci -> 440ci -> 250ci.

The 220->440 had the most impact for my less than discerning ears. loved the extra immediacy and dynamics I told myself I was experiencing. Interestingly I feel I lost some of that with the move to the 250ci. I am actively seeking a second 250ci to take me to the 1000 and regain that which I possibly feel I lost on the latest change and hopefully cap off a rather excellent system (to my ear anyways).

hopefully you will have access to another 250CI to test the dual mono. Very interested in what you find.

Jim

RE: Have I made the wrong choice with Devialet? - Dannythered - 08-Nov-2018

(07-Nov-2018, 21:31)mdconnelly Wrote: I'm with @Drifter on the impact of going dual mono.   For me, going from a single 220 Pro to the 440 Pro significantly improved the immersive experience.   Tonally, it will still sound just like what you have, but transient response, dynamics, base impact, etc... all contribute to a more immersive, musically engaging experience.    I really can't speak to whether it's worth the price of admission or if there is something better out there... but I'd be quite surprised if you weren't impressed by the improvement a 2nd 250 would bring.   Then again, I'm certain your 250 is already making your Sabrinas sing.

And while Devialet certainly leaves many wanting in certain areas such as communication and pace of development, they do make astounding audio components and that's what it's all about.
I have to concur with @Drifter and @mdconnelly , last weekend I finally got around to moving my other 220 Pro into the living room and combining it with my other 220 Pro to drive my Focal Sopra 2s, I had been happy running with one 220 Pro but wow what an improvement, soundstage, immediacy, clarity all improved considerably, I’m now even happier. Leaves me with a problem however, I now have a pair of speakers that need an amp/streamer, so do I buy another Devialet, tempted to say the least
Oh and with regard to German cars, there are 2 safety recalls out on my expensive BMW