Devialet Chat
Any Roon Nucleus users? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Any Roon Nucleus users? (/Thread-Any-Roon-Nucleus-users)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Any Roon Nucleus users? - flohmann - 03-Apr-2019

I'm getting tired of having to manage my headless Mac mini (my Roon core) and am curious about the Roon Nucleus as a replacement. But I'd love to know if any here have had experience with one feeding a Devialet Expert. What's your preferred connection? Does it do Air-Ethernet (which I think sounds better than the new RAAT option)?

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - ssfas - 03-Apr-2019

I chose the Innuos Zen Mk3 over the Nucleus as a Roon Core and server, it has better features and a better spec and is cheaper, but is essentially doing the same job. It does Air-Ethernet and Roon Ready extremely well (and has an ultra-low noise usb output as well, that also sounds superb). If you want to run 8 endpoints with multiple filters at the same time then you will need a Nucleus+, bu most people don't, so the Innuos has a less powerful but more efficient processor. The RAM is similarly partitioned.

Some people have had streaming issues from Roon to Devialet, I did very briefly, but it all works very well.

My current setup is here:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Roon-RAAT-and-An-audio-file-is-loading-slowly?pid=83402#pid83402
You have to use what Devialet told me is called a star topology.

I would hope it works with a Nucleus.

That said, with Magico M3, I doubt the price difference would make any difference, so you you might consider the Innuos Statement, that has 8 separate linear power supplies in a separate box, so just about every component and part of the processor has its own power.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - David A - 04-Apr-2019

I'm got a Nucleus+ on order to replace my current Antipodes DS so I can't personally comment on how well the Nucleus will work with a Devialet but there are several Nucleus users here and all are happy with it but some are having streaming issues with RAAT, apparently related to streaming high res files over ethernet.

Roon recommend ethernet connections and that's what I prefer with my Antipodes DS. USB sounds very good, just not as good to me but there are people who prefer USB to ethernet. I've also tried AIR and RAAT and I prefer RAAT but I think that's largely a personal preference. There are people who prefer AIR. There is definitely a difference in my view but it's subtle,. They're close in my view and I was very happy with AIR before the Roon Ready update. I just have a preference for RAAT. Whatever you run Roon on, you will have the choice of AIR or RAAT since you've got a Devialet with the CI board. You've got the choice on your Mac mini and you'll have it on the Nucleus. @ssfas has it on his Innuos, I've got it on my Antipodes. The choice isn't dependent on the hardware platform, it's part of the Roon software.

I intend using ethernet with my Nucleus+ when it arrives but I suspect I'll get around to trying USB as well, and while I intend starting with RAAT I'll also get around to trying AIR again. You've got the options so try them and pick the ones which sound best to you. It's not going to cost you anything to swap from one option to another so try them and pick the one you prefer. Your preferences may change with whatever server you get.

Some servers offer features that the Nucleus line lacks, like a ROM drive and software for ripping CDs, and their own backup software and functionality. Those features may or may not be important to you but it's worth looking at them.

The other thing to consider is processing power. Take a look at what Roon say the Nucleus and Nucleus+ can do and the processing chips they use and consider how those capabilities fit in with what you want to do. Make sure you choose a server with enough processing power for your needs, regardless of whether it comes from Roon or someone else. A bit extra processing power is never a problem because new software versions always seem to want a bit more power. Not having enough processing power to do what you want to do is always a problem.

Whatever you get I think you will find it an improvement on your Mac mini. I was running Roon on my desktop Mac Mini before I bought my Antipodes and it didn't take me long to decide that moving from the Mac mini to a dedicated music server was a very good idea. The Mac was good but there is a difference between good and better.

Any Roon Nucleus users? - PeppaPig - 04-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 01:01)David A Wrote: I'm got a Nucleus+ on order to replace my current Antipodes DS so I can't personally comment on how well the Nucleus will work with a Devialet but there are several Nucleus users here and all are happy with it but some are having streaming issues with RAAT, apparently related to streaming high res files over ethernet.

Roon recommend ethernet connections and that's what I prefer with my Antipodes DS. USB sounds very good, just not as good to me but there are people who prefer USB to ethernet. I've also tried AIR and RAAT and I prefer RAAT but I think that's largely a personal preference. There are people who prefer AIR. There is definitely a difference in my view but it's subtle,. They're close in my view and I was very happy with AIR before the Roon Ready update. I just have a preference for RAAT. Whatever you run Roon on, you will have the choice of AIR or RAAT since you've got a Devialet with the CI board. You've got the choice on your Mac mini and you'll have it on the Nucleus. @ssfas has it on his Innuos, I've got it on my Antipodes. The choice isn't dependent on the hardware platform, it's part of the Roon software.

I intend using ethernet with my Nucleus+ when it arrives but I suspect I'll get around to trying USB as well, and while I intend starting with RAAT I'll also get around to trying AIR again. You've got the options so try them and pick the ones which sound best to you. It's not going to cost you anything to swap from one option to another so try them and pick the one you prefer. Your preferences may change with whatever server you get.

Some servers offer features that the Nucleus line lacks, like a ROM drive and software for ripping CDs, and their own backup software and functionality. Those features may or may not be important to you but it's worth looking at them.

The other thing to consider is processing power. Take a look at what Roon say the Nucleus and Nucleus+ can do and the processing chips they use and consider how those capabilities fit in with what you want to do. Make sure you choose a server with enough processing power for your needs, regardless of whether it comes from Roon or someone else. A bit extra processing power is never a problem because new software versions always seem to want a bit more power. Not having enough processing power to do what you want to do is always a problem.

Whatever you get I think you will find it an improvement on your Mac mini. I was running Roon on my desktop Mac Mini before I bought my Antipodes and it didn't take me long to decide that moving from the Mac mini to a dedicated music server was a very good idea. The Mac was good but there is a difference between good and better.

You heard definitely better sound from a dedicated music server when compare to a Mac mini?

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - David A - 04-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 03:37)PeppaPig Wrote: You heard definitely better sound from a dedicated music server when compare to a Mac mini?

Yes. I've seen others also say they noticed an improvement moving from a Mac mini. I can't remember anyone saying they didn't notice a difference or that things got worse.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - audio_engr - 04-Apr-2019

Am a satisfied owner of a Nucleus having moved from a Macbook Air. I did a self DIY Linear PSU for the Nucleus using choke filtration and the Nucleus is fed from my PS Audio Regenerator P12.The Nucleus feeds to the 440-Pro CI directly using AudioQuest Diamond RJ/E and the Nucleus's access to the internet is via an Apple USB-to-Ethernet Adapter connected to one of the Nucleus's USB ports. 

So far no issues ...  Smile

I much prefer RAAT over AIR hence am staying with that for now.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - ssfas - 04-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 04:51)audio_engr Wrote: Am a satisfied owner of a Nucleus having moved from a Macbook Air. I did a self DIY Linear PSU for the Nucleus using choke filtration and the Nucleus is fed from my PS Audio Regenerator P12.The Nucleus feeds to the 440-Pro CI directly using AudioQuest Diamond RJ/E and the Nucleus's access to the internet is via an Apple USB-to-Ethernet Adapter connected to one of the Nucleus's USB ports. 

So far no issues ...  Smile

I much prefer RAAT over AIR hence am staying with that for now.

The Innuos has ethernet input and a direct ethernet streaming output. Does the Nucleus have that?

Devialet told me not to use it, but to use a switch, which I do, but the direct ethernet seemed to work well.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - monitor - 04-Apr-2019

I've been using the direct ethernet output from my Innuos to the Devialet without any issues. The USB output is feeding a Sennheiser headphone amp.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - Petter - 04-Apr-2019

just asking....why did Devialet told you not to use ethernet streaming output ??

Any Roon Nucleus users? - PeppaPig - 04-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 04:14)David A Wrote:
(04-Apr-2019, 03:37)PeppaPig Wrote: You heard definitely better sound from a dedicated music server when compare to a Mac mini?

Yes. I've seen others also say they noticed an improvement moving from a Mac mini. I can't remember anyone saying they didn't notice a difference or that things got worse.

Roon customer support told me whatever the Roon Server run on, it should not affect sound quality. Technically it just a music server, I surprised it makes a difference. The Nucleus is just the intel NPC with a different case, motherboard is exactly same, nothing is Optimized for audio...