Devialet Chat
Any Roon Nucleus users? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Any Roon Nucleus users? (/Thread-Any-Roon-Nucleus-users)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - David A - 04-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 11:54)PeppaPig Wrote: Roon customer support told me whatever the Roon Server run on, it should not affect sound quality. Technically it just a music server, I surprised it makes a difference. The Nucleus is just the intel NPC with a different case, motherboard is exactly same, nothing is Optimized for audio...

Interesting. It is an Intel NUC in a finless case but "nothing is Optimized for audio..."?

Roon have a white paper document on the Nucleus which you can find at  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pUj-yFsAHPgTuV1TbcESA4va1_mxv1M_VQPJV___nuQ/edit   

It says:

"By tightly integrating high-performance hardware with an optimized operating system and purpose-built software, they provide a simple way to get the richest possible Roon experience."

That would suggest that there is some degree of optimisation. Later in the document they say:

"The operating system is assembled using a proprietary build system developed at Roon Labs. Each package that makes up Roon OS was selected and configured by hand, carefully considering how it will be used and making significant effort to keep the operating system as trim as possible, both while the system is running and at update time.

This custom approach is what enables Roon OS’s compartmentalized storage model, fast and atomic update system, quick boot, extremely small size, and runtime efficiency. It also means that our engineers fully understand the components that make up Roon OS end to end, and that we are in a position to keep things up to date or fix problems in any area of the system."

As to not affecting sound quality, I guess that's probably true at one level but if, for example, you want to use Roon's DSP functions to do some tasks like processing DSD files which can require more processing power than some other DSP tasks and you have a server which doesn't have sufficient power for that sort of processing then you would probably be justified in saying that it can affect sound quality. I also just read Kal Rubinson's comment on the Nucleus in Stereophile and the Nucleus can play multichannel music as well as 2 channel music. Some servers can't do that. For some people that may count as better sound quality if they prefer the sound of multichannel music to stereo. Being able to deliver bit perfect 2 channel music at it's original resolution with no signal processing whatsoever isn't the be all and end all test of sound quality for lots of people and not all servers handle signal processing or multichannel music equally well so I'd say that you can find differences in sound quality depending on how you're going to use the server.

BTW, it's not a "finless case". It's a fanless case and it has lots of fins  :-)

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - audio_engr - 04-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 13:34)David A Wrote: Interesting. It is an Intel NUC in a finless case but "nothing is Optimized for audio..."?

Roon have a white paper document on the Nucleus which you can find at  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pUj-yFsAHPgTuV1TbcESA4va1_mxv1M_VQPJV___nuQ/edit   

It says:

"By tightly integrating high-performance hardware with an optimized operating system and purpose-built software, they provide a simple way to get the richest possible Roon experience."

That would suggest that there is some degree of optimisation. Later in the document they say:

"The operating system is assembled using a proprietary build system developed at Roon Labs. Each package that makes up Roon OS was selected and configured by hand, carefully considering how it will be used and making significant effort to keep the operating system as trim as possible, both while the system is running and at update time.

This custom approach is what enables Roon OS’s compartmentalized storage model, fast and atomic update system, quick boot, extremely small size, and runtime efficiency. It also means that our engineers fully understand the components that make up Roon OS end to end, and that we are in a position to keep things up to date or fix problems in any area of the system."

As to not affecting sound quality, I guess that's probably true at one level but if, for example, you want to use Roon's DSP functions to do some tasks like processing DSD files which can require more processing power than some other DSP tasks and you have a server which doesn't have sufficient power for that sort of processing then you would probably be justified in saying that it can affect sound quality. I also just read Kal Rubinson's comment on the Nucleus in Stereophile and the Nucleus can play multichannel music as well as 2 channel music. Some servers can't do that. For some people that may count as better sound quality if they prefer the sound of multichannel music to stereo. Being able to deliver bit perfect 2 channel music at it's original resolution with no signal processing whatsoever isn't the be all and end all test of sound quality for lots of people and not all servers handle signal processing or multichannel music equally well so I'd say that you can find differences in sound quality depending on how you're going to use the server.

BTW, it's not a "finless case". It's a fanless case and it has lots of fins  :-)

+1 ... well said & documented .. { Their whitepaper actually sold me their Nucleus and I have no regrets }

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - Damon - 04-Apr-2019

I actually have a Roon Nucleus, BNIB, sitting on a chair in my dining room. I'm trying to decide if I want to use it or sell it on. I don't have a Tidal subscription, we can't get Qobuz, and the last time I looked, Roon had terrible internet radio facility. We don't have many ripped discs on the computer, so I'm not sure there is much logic in the Nucleus for me.

It came to me though a long and convoluted process, so I don't have much (current) investment in it. I had the two week Roon trial, and I liked it somewhat, but without using Tidal or Qobuz, I'm not certain of its utility. My wife does find the metadata and album info, reviews, articles that Roon does, an appealing feature, and I do as well. Now, must get to trying those Orea footers, also sitting in their cute little boxes.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - mdconnelly - 04-Apr-2019

Having spent way too much money on audio throughout my life, I have no qualms about the price of a Nucleus (well, the Nucleus+ is pricey). But, I've looked into it enough to believe that a properly speced Intel NUC will serve just as well at a much more attractive price point. Perhaps if it wasn't going to be tucked away, I'd be more concerned about looks and keeping it fanless, but that's not a concern for me.

But I am holding out a bit until the issues with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet are fully resolved.

Any Roon Nucleus users? - PeppaPig - 05-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 18:18)mdconnelly Wrote: Having spent way too much money on audio throughout my life, I have no qualms about the price of a Nucleus (well, the Nucleus+ is pricey). But, I've looked into it enough to believe that a properly speced Intel NUC will serve just as well at a much more attractive price point. Perhaps if it wasn't going to be tucked away, I'd be more concerned about looks and keeping it fanless, but that's not a concern for me.

But I am holding out a bit until the issues with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet are fully resolved.

Agreed. The Roon nucleus is just an Intel NPC, not much Optimized, the software optimisation is just simply turned off unused services in the OS, and even you leaving them on they has no harm to your device as music server. It just a marketing words... that nucleus is just a intel NPC with pretty casing that cost a lot more money... well if you like the case it’s worth, I think the nucleus looks nice too, just way overpriced when I looked at its internal motherboard....very average built, and same as intel NPC, they even don’t remove the front ports on the motherboard which is not being used for nucleus.

Does Devialet has issue with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet? I see people are using it in this way...

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - Pim - 05-Apr-2019

(05-Apr-2019, 00:14)PeppaPig Wrote:  It just a marketing words... 
The Roon crew are actually quite open about the fact that this is nothing more than a NUC for people who don't want to be bothered building their own. They sell through dealers so naturally the price more than doubles. I out a NUC together with a mate of mine and it's not hard to do so if I were in the market I'd probably build my own but if I weren't handy myself I would gladly fork out the money for this turnkey solution.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - David A - 05-Apr-2019

(05-Apr-2019, 00:14)PeppaPig Wrote: …The Roon nucleus is just an Intel NPC, not much Optimized, the software optimisation is just simply turned off unused services in the OS, and even you leaving them on they has no harm to your device as music server. It just a marketing words...

First you said that it wasn't optimised for audio. Now you say "not much optimised" and "just simply turned off unused services in the OS". What's your evidence for those claims? You've changed from your first statement because that wasn't right so why should I think you've got it right this time? I'm not saying you're wrong this time but you were wrong last time so why aren't you also wrong this time?

It's fine to make statements backed up by evidence. Without that backup it's starting to look like you're simply saying "not much optimisation" because you can no longer claim "no optimisation" but you gave no support for your claim of "no optimisation" and that was easily dismissed and you haven't provided any support for your modified claim of "not much optimisation". As I said, you may be right but I do think we have a right to know whether that's just what you think or whether you've really got information about what Roon actually did to optimise the OS. Without some sort of decent supporting evidence there's no reason to believe your modified claim is any more correct than your original claim and you've now conceded that there is at least some optimisation which is more than none. How do we know there isn't still more optimisation than "just simply turned off unused services in the OS".

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - ssfas - 05-Apr-2019

(04-Apr-2019, 10:53)Petter Wrote: just asking....why did  Devialet told you  not to use ethernet streaming output ??

I seem to remember they did. 

Anyway, as it only involved switching two ethernet connections, I reverted to using the Innous streaming output and now have:

Asus router > $2 Cat7 > Cisco swicth > fiber optic > TPLink media converter > AQ Ethernet > Innuos > AQ  Ethernet > Devialet.

Roon gives me this:

The one called "Devialet Roon Ready" works through the "Roon Ready" input and the one called "Roon" works through "Air".

I'm streaming 24/192 no problems. 

I've disabled the "Air" route and just using the "Roon Ready" one, because if you have both active you can get a "Device in Use" error. So the Devialet is a single ethernet endpoint operating as Roon Ready:

So I don't know what Devialet were on about, I now seem to have about half a dozen configurations that all work perfectly and I'm not going to waste time seeing which sounds best. They all sound good.

UPDATE: "ROON READY" ROUTE USIONG INNUOS DIRECT ETHERNET JUST CRASHED AFTER 3 HOURS. HAVE TO RESTART DEVIALET TO GET IT BACK. MOVING OVER TO "AIR" ROUTE USING SAME WIRING.

RE: Any Roon Nucleus users? - petrik - 05-Apr-2019

(05-Apr-2019, 00:14)PeppaPig Wrote: Does Devialet has issue with Roon RAAT to an Expert Pro over gigabit ethernet? I see people are using it in this way...

Yep, Devialet has lots of issues with Roon RAAT streaming over a gigabit Ethernet network. Roon RAAT over Wifi works quite well, so I'm using Wifi until the problems with Ethernet have been solved.

Any Roon Nucleus users? - PeppaPig - 05-Apr-2019

(05-Apr-2019, 00:53)David A Wrote:
(05-Apr-2019, 00:14)PeppaPig Wrote: …The Roon nucleus is just an Intel NPC, not much Optimized, the software optimisation is just simply turned off unused services in the OS, and even you leaving them on they has no harm to your device as music server. It just a marketing words...

First you said that it wasn't optimised for audio. Now you say "not much optimised" and "just simply turned off unused services in the OS". What's your evidence for those claims? You've changed from your first statement because that wasn't right so why should I think you've got it right this time? I'm not saying you're wrong this time but you were wrong last time so why aren't you also wrong this time?

It's fine to make statements backed up by evidence. Without that backup it's starting to look like you're simply saying "not much optimisation" because you can no longer claim "no optimisation" but you gave no support for your claim of "no optimisation" and that was easily dismissed and you haven't provided any support for your modified claim of "not much optimisation". As I said, you may be right but I do think we have a right to know whether that's just what you think or whether you've really got information about what Roon actually did to optimise the OS. Without some sort of decent supporting evidence there's no reason to believe your modified claim is any more correct than your original claim and you've now conceded that there is at least some optimisation which is more than none. How do we know there isn't still more optimisation than "just simply turned off unused services in the OS".

Mate if you are picking every single word of mine, that’s your choice. I said it’s not optimised compare to standard NPC hardware. And when I said it’s not much optimized I mean they may turned off/removed some services that no need for audio in the OS, but even leaving them on it doesn’t do any harm to sound quality.

I had a discussion with roon support about sound quality on different hardware that Roon Server running, their answer is No difference.

I am sharing my information here and try to help ppl who want to save money... your choice to believe it or not, I don’t really mind if you trust what I say or not, no need to tell me you having difficulty to trust my statement as I really don’t care. If you have proven evidence to show a difference in sound quality, just focus on proving it, don’t waste time on questioning me. Thanks.