Devialet Chat
Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer (/Thread-Dual-mono-with-REL-Subwoofer)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - marcor - 13-Jun-2019

(13-Jun-2019, 16:26)audio_engr Wrote:
(12-Jun-2019, 19:11)JohnnySix Wrote: I have read that Devialets behave like classic amps with regard to Ground vs -15v issue. I once had a Rotel Class D that frightened the life out of me when I connected a Rel High Level!

On the subject of Hum, I’ve found that the 2nd hand T7i I got from Nintronics has a mild hum, but my original T7i has none.

PHASE: Having spent weeks measuring the effect of Devialet delay values on sub integration using wavelet spectrograms, I’d beware the suggestion to turn on high pass filter for the mains. It can introduce a significant phase shift that could upset a professional's installation. 
But provided you can measure and compensate for it, it CAN reduce over-thick bass in the crossover region.

Thanks for your response & recommendations. 

Anyway, so long possible, I'd go with High-Level setup of the RELs. REL G1 MK II designer John Hunter tells me its much more dynamic and much superior integration with the Main speakers than using Low-level. I am only concerned that it seems the Black (ground) wire also needs to be connected in this case with Devialets. Just hope it doesn't mess up the Amps or my main speakers ...

Well it hasn’t mess up mine for the past 2 years...

Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - PeppaPig - 18-Jun-2019

(06-Jun-2019, 23:57)audio_engr Wrote:
(17-May-2019, 17:17)Laura Wrote: It’s been a few weeks since I posted on this thread and said that I would report back after the REL open day I attended. 

The open day was at Nintronics in Welwyn Garden City with Rob from REL present to do the demonstrations. They had two REL No.25 subwoofers paired with Focal Maestro Utopia Evo III speakers for the Hifi demo and not surprisingly it sounded great. Even with these £45K speakers the subs added detail to the music across the whole frequency range plus the expected low end extension. The effect was subtle but instantly noticeable with sub on / off listening.

With special trade in deals to be had on the day it was easy to get carried away. I went there with the intention of possibly buying one sub but after hearing them in action I wanted the stereo pair. The No.25 is massive and I’d struggle to fit one beside my speakers let alone two, not to mention the fact that they cost £6.5K each so after a lot of procrastination I opted for two of the reference line G1 Mk2 which I reckoned I could just about fit in. So I traded in an old pair of Castle speakers and the deal was done. Over the next few days I started to have purchase regret and asked myself what the hell I was doing? But I decided to hold on and see if these would make much difference to my my system. 

About a week later Danny from Nintronics and Rob from REL turned up at my house to do the install. Rob recommended using the pre-outs on the back of the Devialets so I did the configuration for this but at first we couldn’t get it working. After a bit of head scratching it turned out that if you program the Tone button on the Devialet remote control for Sub On/Off it doesn’t work properly and we were getting odd results like one sub would work and the other would not. After changing this setting to Pre On/Off instead the second sub burst into life. I found this a bit odd and was also surprised at how little ‘help’ information in the configurator and on the Devialet website there seems to be for setting up subs, particularly if you are configuring a dual setup. Once we had solved this technical issue I left it up to the REL expert to position the subs for me and set the phase, crossovers, and levels. I was surprised how little adjustment was needed in the positioning to make a huge difference to the sound in the listening position. A couple of centimetres at a time made all the difference. As my system is now dual purpose Hifi and Home Theatre we tested the configuration in both modes and it seems that Rob got it just right. The installation was supposed to take about an hour but in reality it took more like 4 until Rob was happy with the setup and I was too. 

That evening I decided to give them the proper Hifi test to see if it had all been worth the expense and hassle and what I experienced was very surprising. The whole musical experience was transformed throughout the entire frequency range, the soundstage was increased massively around the whole room with much better imaging. Instruments and voices were all much more lifelike, warmer, and there was detail on the recordings that I had never heard before! It is hard to put into words how much better these subs make the entire experience and can only say of all the Hifi gear I’ve bought over the last 20 years nothing has had such a profound effect on my system as adding these 2 subwoofers. Needless to say the purchase regret has vanished. I have no idea how these can affect mid and high end sounds but they do and my system now sounds amazing and puts a big grin on my face every time I listen to it!

Today, I was at the REL dealer for over 5 hours. At first, I heard the No.25 followed by the S-series 212/SE and finally the G1 MK II. The No. 25 is outstanding but waaayy too big for my very difficult 'square 18-Ft x 18-Ft dedicated room'. And, I wasn't impressed with the 212/SE but the G1 MKII completely floored me. It was devastatingly good and was mated to Wilson Sasha DAWs that I auditioned. 

I heard classical, organ, opera, smooth jazz, 60's, 70's & 80's rock and was awestruck at what a pair of G1 MKIIs were doing to the overall sonic experience. They sell in the US for $ 5,500 each, meaning $ 11,000 + taxes for a pair. It is indeed a lot of money but I also realise that this would be the single 'massive upgrade' I can do to my existing system and can also sell off the 2nd 440-Pro set and revert to bi-wiring from bi-amping. Hmm! I will have to start saving up of this now ... a pair of G1 MKII when setup right using the High Level input of the Devialet is soooo addictive !!   Smile

Hi may I ask which part that 212/SE disappointed you? the 212/SE has extreme good review everywhere... can you pls share some details?

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - audio_engr - 19-Jun-2019

(18-Jun-2019, 05:22)PeppaPig Wrote:
(06-Jun-2019, 23:57)audio_engr Wrote:
(17-May-2019, 17:17)Laura Wrote: It’s been a few weeks since I posted on this thread and said that I would report back after the REL open day I attended. 

The open day was at Nintronics in Welwyn Garden City with Rob from REL present to do the demonstrations. They had two REL No.25 subwoofers paired with Focal Maestro Utopia Evo III speakers for the Hifi demo and not surprisingly it sounded great. Even with these £45K speakers the subs added detail to the music across the whole frequency range plus the expected low end extension. The effect was subtle but instantly noticeable with sub on / off listening.

With special trade in deals to be had on the day it was easy to get carried away. I went there with the intention of possibly buying one sub but after hearing them in action I wanted the stereo pair. The No.25 is massive and I’d struggle to fit one beside my speakers let alone two, not to mention the fact that they cost £6.5K each so after a lot of procrastination I opted for two of the reference line G1 Mk2 which I reckoned I could just about fit in. So I traded in an old pair of Castle speakers and the deal was done. Over the next few days I started to have purchase regret and asked myself what the hell I was doing? But I decided to hold on and see if these would make much difference to my my system. 

About a week later Danny from Nintronics and Rob from REL turned up at my house to do the install. Rob recommended using the pre-outs on the back of the Devialets so I did the configuration for this but at first we couldn’t get it working. After a bit of head scratching it turned out that if you program the Tone button on the Devialet remote control for Sub On/Off it doesn’t work properly and we were getting odd results like one sub would work and the other would not. After changing this setting to Pre On/Off instead the second sub burst into life. I found this a bit odd and was also surprised at how little ‘help’ information in the configurator and on the Devialet website there seems to be for setting up subs, particularly if you are configuring a dual setup. Once we had solved this technical issue I left it up to the REL expert to position the subs for me and set the phase, crossovers, and levels. I was surprised how little adjustment was needed in the positioning to make a huge difference to the sound in the listening position. A couple of centimetres at a time made all the difference. As my system is now dual purpose Hifi and Home Theatre we tested the configuration in both modes and it seems that Rob got it just right. The installation was supposed to take about an hour but in reality it took more like 4 until Rob was happy with the setup and I was too. 

That evening I decided to give them the proper Hifi test to see if it had all been worth the expense and hassle and what I experienced was very surprising. The whole musical experience was transformed throughout the entire frequency range, the soundstage was increased massively around the whole room with much better imaging. Instruments and voices were all much more lifelike, warmer, and there was detail on the recordings that I had never heard before! It is hard to put into words how much better these subs make the entire experience and can only say of all the Hifi gear I’ve bought over the last 20 years nothing has had such a profound effect on my system as adding these 2 subwoofers. Needless to say the purchase regret has vanished. I have no idea how these can affect mid and high end sounds but they do and my system now sounds amazing and puts a big grin on my face every time I listen to it!

Today, I was at the REL dealer for over 5 hours. At first, I heard the No.25 followed by the S-series 212/SE and finally the G1 MK II. The No. 25 is outstanding but waaayy too big for my very difficult 'square 18-Ft x 18-Ft dedicated room'. And, I wasn't impressed with the 212/SE but the G1 MKII completely floored me. It was devastatingly good and was mated to Wilson Sasha DAWs that I auditioned. 

I heard classical, organ, opera, smooth jazz, 60's, 70's & 80's rock and was awestruck at what a pair of G1 MKIIs were doing to the overall sonic experience. They sell in the US for $ 5,500 each, meaning $ 11,000 + taxes for a pair. It is indeed a lot of money but I also realise that this would be the single 'massive upgrade' I can do to my existing system and can also sell off the 2nd 440-Pro set and revert to bi-wiring from bi-amping. Hmm! I will have to start saving up of this now ... a pair of G1 MKII when setup right using the High Level input of the Devialet is soooo addictive !!   Smile

Hi may I ask which part that 212/SE disappointed you? the 212/SE has extreme good review everywhere... can you pls share some details?

The quality of the low freq from 212/SE is nowhere similar to the G1 MK-II or No.25. I was just speaking to John Hunter (Chief Designer & Owner of REL Acoustics) and these were his words when I put forth your question to him, "the 212/SE is very good with a huge capacity when it comes to quantity of bass .. meaning it can goes really very loud but for music, it cannot compete with the G1 MK-II or the No.25 as the filters are very different between those Reference series models & the 212/SE. 

Go and hear it yourself, (forget the reviews).

Also, from my chat with John, I am told the speed of low freq, the very fast filters, 70% lighter drive unit weight of the Carbon drivers in the Reference series all work in tandem towards a very seamless integration.

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - PeppaPig - 20-Jun-2019

(19-Jun-2019, 04:34)audio_engr Wrote:
(18-Jun-2019, 05:22)PeppaPig Wrote:
(06-Jun-2019, 23:57)audio_engr Wrote: Today, I was at the REL dealer for over 5 hours. At first, I heard the No.25 followed by the S-series 212/SE and finally the G1 MK II. The No. 25 is outstanding but waaayy too big for my very difficult 'square 18-Ft x 18-Ft dedicated room'. And, I wasn't impressed with the 212/SE but the G1 MKII completely floored me. It was devastatingly good and was mated to Wilson Sasha DAWs that I auditioned. 

The quality of the low freq from 212/SE is nowhere similar to the G1 MK-II or No.25. I was just speaking to John Hunter (Chief Designer & Owner of REL Acoustics) and these were his words when I put forth your question to him, "the 212/SE is very good with a huge capacity when it comes to quantity of bass .. meaning it can goes really very loud but for music, it cannot compete with the G1 MK-II or the No.25 as the filters are very different between those Reference series models & the 212/SE. 

Go and hear it yourself, (forget the reviews).

Also, from my chat with John, I am told the speed of low freq, the very fast filters, 70% lighter drive unit weight of the Carbon drivers in the Reference series all work in tandem towards a very seamless integration.

Hi I had a chat with John Hunter as well, what he told me is 212/SE probably is the end of REL journey for most of the people. He also said G1 and No 25 is designed to be stack of 3 each side. He told me subs that sits low will never sound good, the height factor of 212/SE contributes a lot. Which means if you go for G1 or No 25, it is designed to be stacked, you need to get at least 2 or 3 each side.

The G1 MK2 used class AB amp, 212SE used a Class D 1000Watt amp like the No 25 has, I heard other users compared G1 and 212SE and they found 212SE is much faster than the G1 MK2 due to the Class D amp.

I haven't heard the G1 or No25, but I heard the S5 Carbon, S5 SHO and 212SE. the S5 Carbon used same driver as G1, it does sounds better than S5 SHO, more output, but its no where as good as the 212/SE, can I say that carbon driver doesn't help that much as we expected?

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - audio_engr - 20-Jun-2019

(20-Jun-2019, 01:57)PeppaPig Wrote: He also said G1 and No 25 is designed to be stack of 3 each side.

He told me subs that sits low will never sound good, the height factor of 212/SE contributes a lot. Which means if you go for G1 or No 25, it is designed to be stacked, you need to get at least 2 or 3 each side.

The G1 MK2 used class AB amp, 212SE used a Class D 1000Watt amp like the No 25 has, I heard other users compared G1 and 212SE and they found 212SE is much faster than the G1 MK2 due to the Class D amp.

I haven't heard the G1 or No25, but I heard the S5 Carbon, S5 SHO and 212SE. the S5 Carbon used same driver as G1, it does sounds better than S5 SHO, more output, but its no where as good as the 212/SE, can I say that carbon driver doesn't help that much as we expected?

Stacking is for large rooms. My 18 x 18 Ft room cannot handle that. And neither can my pocket ..  Blush

I do not agree that Subs that sit low will never sound good. And also that a sub with Class A/AB amp does not sound good vs. a sub with a Class D amp. 

You need to hear the G1 MK-II or the No.25 first. 

However, I am all 'guns for a Pair of G1 MK-II' and will be implementing this soon. And regarding the method of connecting the RELs, I will use High-Level with the Black wire affixed to the GROUND Terminal under the Phono RCAs on the Devialet. 

Once again, please try and hear the G1 or the #25 paired with high-end loudspeakers at a dealer ... you may change your opinion on them.    Big Grin

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - PeppaPig - 21-Jun-2019

(20-Jun-2019, 06:46)audio_engr Wrote:
(20-Jun-2019, 01:57)PeppaPig Wrote: He also said G1 and No 25 is designed to be stack of 3 each side.

He told me subs that sits low will never sound good, the height factor of 212/SE contributes a lot. Which means if you go for G1 or No 25, it is designed to be stacked, you need to get at least 2 or 3 each side.

Stacking is for large rooms. My 18 x 18 Ft room cannot handle that. And neither can my pocket ..  Blush

I do not agree that Subs that sit low will never sound good. And also that a sub with Class A/AB amp does not sound good vs. a sub with a Class D amp. 

You need to hear the G1 MK-II or the No.25 first. 

However, I am all 'guns for a Pair of G1 MK-II' and will be implementing this soon. And regarding the method of connecting the RELs, I will use High-Level with the Black wire affixed to the GROUND Terminal under the Phono RCAs on the Devialet. 

Once again, please try and hear the G1 or the #25 paired with high-end loudspeakers at a dealer ... you may change your opinion on them.    Big Grin

Hi I have never heard G1 and #25, and there are no way to get a demo in my town...

The G1 is huge for me, especially its depth, I don't have that much space behind speaker, and I don't like sub too close front wall as I found it sound boomy.

Its the owner of REL told me that subs sit low and lock down to the floor will never achieve perfect LF performance.

I have heard the S5 Carbon, it used the same driver as G1, and adjusted the filters, might be its close to how G1 will sound?

The 212SE is very musical and integrated with my main speaker very well, it actually recommended by REL for my system.

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - Dan - 27-Jun-2019

Question.

I have a small room - 10.5 feet x 13.5 feet (although there are three 3 1/2 foot openings into the room from other rooms).

Amp - 1000pro
Speakers - Magico S3

Am considering a sub(s). But I have very limited places to put it (them).

Am thinking about two Rel T9i, two Rel S3, or one Rel G1 mk ll.

Thoughts?

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - David A - 28-Jun-2019

(27-Jun-2019, 23:11)Dan Wrote: Question.

I have a small room - 10.5 feet x 13.5 feet (although there are three 3 1/2 foot openings into the room from other rooms).

Amp - 1000pro
Speakers - Magico S3

Thoughts?

Question: Why are you thinking of a sub or subs? What do you think you might get that  you aren't getting with your speakers?

More extension? Your speakers are rated down to 26 Hz according to Magico's web site. The lowest note on an acoustic or electric bass is 41 Ha, the lowest note on a piano is 29 Hz. There are instruments that can go lower, especially organ and synthesiser, but do you listen to a lot of music which uses those instruments? If not, then do you need lower bass? My speakers (Focal Sopra 2's) are  specified as -3 dB at 34 Hz and in my room (L-shaped, about twice the floor area of your room and with 2 open archway entrances each close to 5' wide), I get sufficient bass with piano music to satisfy me and I rarely listen to music with lower bass.

Smoother bass response? Small rooms are notorious for standing waves and uneven bass response but those openings in your room are going to reduce the severity of standing waves based on the room axes with the openings in them. Recommendations for smoothing bass response with subs usually recommend 2 and preferably 3 subs placed strategically to smooth the response. You say you have limited places to put them and if you can't put them in the best places then you're not going to get the full benefit they would provide in a sealed room. Whether you're chasing extension or smoother response, getting the sub placement right is important. A sub in the wrong place may not give you what you want.

That "punch in the chest" impact? It's going to be hard to get in a room with openings because you can't pressurise the room the way you can pressurise a sealed room because the room is leaking sound through the openings. You say you've got 3 openings each 3.5' wide. That's basically equivalent to a single opening 10.5' wide and that's the width of one of your walls but probably not full height. It's going to be hard to get that "punch in the chest" impact with openings that large. My 2 openings amount to a single opening around 9.6' wide and I couldn't get it in my room years ago when I tried using a REL Strata 3 sub. I might have been able to do better with a bigger sub or with 2 subs and better placement but any room with openings leaks sound pressure and that reduces that sort of impact.

You may be chasing something else but those openings in your room are going to make getting the maximum benefit from a sub or subs hard.

I'm not saying you won't get benefit from a sub but I am saying that your room is going to limit the benefit you will get because it's going to leak a lot of sound to the adjoining spaces. In addition the location of those openings may well reduce your ability to find a placement for one or two subs that delivers everything the sub is capable of delivering in a sealed room. You're probably going to have to do a bit of experimenting to find the best location and you've said you've got limited options.

Given the bass response your speakers have I'd be looking at a sub which is capable of delivering good response down to 20 Hz at least. I've got 2 of the original T9s in a separate HT setup and I'd be looking for a sub that goes lower to pair with speakers like yours. I've got them paired with a pair of Focal Aria 926s in an open plan space so it leaks sound pressure also. They complement the bass of the 926's quite well for movies but they don't deliver the kind of bass definition I get from my Sopras without a sub so I'd be looking higher up the REL range than the T9i if I were you and I'd be looking for a sub that delivers extension with good definition. Better subs cost more so I'd probably be thinking in terms of a single sub which will simplify the process of placement since you only have to find one good spot rather than 2.

My best advice: see if you can borrow a sub for a few days and see what you can do with it in your system. Experiment a bit with placement and settings, see what you can get out of it, and see if you feel it can give you enough benefit to justify the price because if you can't set it up well in your room you end up paying a lot for much less benefit than you want.

The alternative is to experiment with the placement of your speakers and listening position to see if you can get better bass than you're currently getting. That can take time but you may be surprised at what you can get with  better placement of your existing speakers. Finding the best location can take time and moving large speakers isn't easy but it may yield more benefit than you expect.

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - audio_engr - 28-Jun-2019

(27-Jun-2019, 23:11)Dan Wrote: Question.

Amp - 1000pro
Speakers - Magico S3

Thoughts?

ONE G1-MK II will be my ideal recommendation. Though its a large sub in your room, the filters are so fast and so different from the T-series or the S-series that you'll be easily able to dial-in the G1 effortlessly. Also, the sub will offer you soundstage expansion together with a lift in dynamics that will truly amaze you. Make sure you implement the Sub using High-Level connection method that REL stresses strongly. 

Just 1 sub strategically placed should give you astounding results. The G1 is also extremely flexible when its correctly dialed-in to the main speakers and the other RELs do not have many of the crossover features available on the G1 & their # 25. 

Hear the T9i, then the S-series and then the G1. Its a clear no-brainer who wins !

RE: Dual mono with REL Subwoofer - anan - 28-Jun-2019

Hi,
Has anyone got a view on the Rel G1 mk1 vs mk2?