Devialet Chat
MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Phantom I (103 DB, 108 DB, Premier Classic, Silver & Gold) (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Phantom-I-103-DB-108-DB-Premier-Classic-Silver-Gold)
+--- Thread: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! (/Thread-MacMini-%E2%80%93-Audirvana-3-5-%E2%80%93-Sonarworks-%E2%80%93-UpnP-%E2%80%93-Golds-DOS2-BLISS)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - KarlMarx - 15-Nov-2019

I was a bit frustrated with DOS2 incapacity to stream 24/192 and I have been wanting to integrate Room Correction software, this migration seemed like the perfect call to explore possibilities. After some research and tests, I can happily say that my Golds play 24/192, use Room Correction and are now sounding unbelievably good, it seems like I upgraded the whole setup, even my kids asked if I had changed something. Everything now is hyper-balanced, spatially correct, with incredible depth, accurate imaging, clarity and resolution. I am blown away by the dramatic improvement in sound.

Here is a bit more detail on my system:

MacMini 2018 running Audirvana 3.5 as the main media player, Audirvana syncs perfectly with my iTunes Lossless Music Library which is in an external SSD raid configuration, I have always used iTunes (now Apple Music) to organize and manage my library's metadata, plus, since I pay for an Apple Music subscription, I can access all my personal library (3TB) on the move. For those not using iTunes, Audirvana can also sync directly to a NAS or external drive, but it doesn't organize or manage metadata, it just syncs to whatever is there. 

Audirvana can use AudioUnits/VST plugins, this made it possible for me to test SonarWorks Reference 4 room correction software. This software was highly recommended by few friends that work in production studios, it is very robust while being very simple to use. After microphone/room calibration and 38 measurements, SonarWorks produced an AudioUnits plugin that I could use in Audirvana. Once loaded in Audirvana, you can control/adjust the SonarWorks plugin from within, its very simple and straightforward.

Audirvana uses UpnP and sees the Phantoms without issue (I had to restart them first), it recognizes them as 24/192 devices.

My Phantoms are connected via ethernet and everything runs super smooth, as I said before, I am mind blown by the sound improvement. Also, did I mention that Audirvana has a mobile app remote? So far, it works great from my iPad and iPhone.

This is the happiest I have been with the Phantoms and feel completely satisfied with their value and sound. Cheers!

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - Snoopy8 - 15-Nov-2019

Good to read that another person is using UPnP & room correction with their Golds. I did my room correction the manual way with REW & rePhase to generate convolution files for MinimServer. The results were worth the effort.

Curious what was your setup previously? Were you using UPnP?

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - Memarkiam - 15-Nov-2019

Hi - I"m very interested to read this.

Do you know at all if I'm able to achieve something similar with Roon running on a Windows machine?

My library is a mix of my own ripped CD's at various qualities up to lossless (and some hi-res files), and Tidal/Qobuz subscription from CD up to Hi-Res.

Currently roon lowers hi-res files to CD/Lossless for Airplay compatibility with my Phantom Gold. Bit annoying and disappointing that. 

How can I get around this limitation?

Thanks!
Mark

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - DesertEagleAZ - 15-Nov-2019

AFAIK Roon doesn't do uPNP so it seems your stuck with Airplay going that route, for now.

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - Snoopy8 - 15-Nov-2019

(15-Nov-2019, 11:01)Memarkiam Wrote: Hi - I"m very interested to read this.

Do you know at all if I'm able to achieve something similar with Roon running on a Windows machine?

My library is a mix of my own ripped CD's at various qualities up to lossless (and some hi-res files), and Tidal/Qobuz subscription from CD up to Hi-Res.

Currently roon lowers hi-res files to CD/Lossless for Airplay compatibility with my Phantom Gold. Bit annoying and disappointing that. 

How can I get around this limitation?
The other way is to get a streamer with optical output and use it as a Roon Endpoint to feed the Phantom. Roon will never support UPnP.

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - alandbush - 15-Nov-2019

(15-Nov-2019, 05:44)KarlMarx Wrote: Audirvana uses UpnP and sees the Phantoms without issue (I had to restart them first), it recognizes them as 24/192 devices.

Does Audirvana ‘see’ each individual Phantom or the ‘room’ grouping as defined in the Devialet app?

Assuming it is the former, do you then assign each Phantom to an audio channel, I.e. left, right, etc.?
If so, will it extend to multi channel?

Assuming the latter, can you group ‘rooms’ together to form a multi channel setup, as opposed to a multi room setup?

I would normally try this myself but I am tied to Direct optical mode to ensure an in-sync multi channel setup.  This mode is mutually exclusive to UPNP.

Thank you in anticipation.

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - KarlMarx - 15-Nov-2019

(15-Nov-2019, 10:54)Snoopy8 Wrote: Good to read that another person is using UPnP & room correction  with their Golds. I did my room correction the manual way with REW & rePhase to generate convolution files for MinimServer. The results were worth the effort.

Curious what was your setup previously?  Were you using UPnP?

I was using dialogue, ethernet connected phantoms and SPARK, I really hated SPARK.... When I was not doing focused listening sessions, I just used ROON for practicality and ease. I still prefer ROON's interface over Audirvana, but until the phantoms support RAAT, Im more than happy with it.

(15-Nov-2019, 12:19)alandbush Wrote:
(15-Nov-2019, 05:44)KarlMarx Wrote: Audirvana uses UpnP and sees the Phantoms without issue (I had to restart them first), it recognizes them as 24/192 devices.

Does Audirvana ‘see’ each individual Phantom or the ‘room’ grouping as defined in the Devialet app?

Assuming it is the former, do you then assign each Phantom to an audio channel, I.e. left, right, etc.?
If so, will it extend to multi channel?

Assuming the latter, can you group ‘rooms’ together to form a multi channel setup, as opposed to a multi room setup?

I would normally try this myself but I am tied to Direct optical mode to ensure an in-sync multi channel setup.  This mode is mutually exclusive to UPNP.

Thank you in anticipation.

It sees a room grouping. It takes the L R assigned in the app. Here are some screenshots of the audio audio interface and settings available for the Phantoms:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-8-59-56-AM.png] [Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-00-17-AM.png] [Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-01-10-AM.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-01-47-AM.png] [Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-02-20-AM.png] [Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-02-46-AM.png]

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - alandbush - 15-Nov-2019

(15-Nov-2019, 15:05)KarlMarx Wrote: It sees a room grouping. It takes the L R assigned in the app. Here are some screenshots of the audio audio interface and settings available for the Phantoms:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-01-47-AM.png] [Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-02-20-AM.png] [Image: Screen-Shot-2019-11-15-at-9-02-46-AM.png]

Thanks for the update. Very useful to see the screen shots.

(15-Nov-2019, 15:05)KarlMarx Wrote: I was using dialogue, ethernet connected phantoms and SPARK, I really hated SPARK.... When I was not doing focused listening sessions, I just used ROON for practicality and ease. I still prefer ROON's interface over Audirvana, but until the phantoms support RAAT, Im more than happy with it.
I found that using UPnP itself had a better soundstage than Spark. And adding room correction made it even better.

RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - daibaron - 16-Nov-2019

I think this has to do with DOS2 and changes in the audio processing.
Upnp is just a protocol that carries information to the decoder not very sure it really change the way the music sounds.
Audio Nirvana looks great. Music Bee on PC is also a great software and free.