Devialet Chat
Old beginner - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Old beginner (/Thread-Old-beginner)

Pages: 1 2

Old beginner - kw1373 - 08-Feb-2020

Hi all,

I have an 800 expert pro connected to a Naim UnitiServe. 

I have been idle for a few years (or even longer) in terms of upgrades and updates. Life moves on and sometimes hobbies take a back seat.  I love my music and am no less compelled by quality sound than before.  I would like to get back into “the game” and am prompted somewhat by the apparent death of my Naim server. 

If you were me, and you had ample budget (but within reason), what would you do to take this set-up to current cutting edge?

Pls note, as context, that I’m far behind (needing helping hand) when it comes to:

1. Next upgrade for Expert Pro. I see a plethora of options on Devialet site and have some difficulty grasping a clear path forward. 

2. A substitute for Naim UnitiServe (I should get it fixed too but perhaps it broke at an opportune time). 

3. Streaming options like Tidal and the associated gears to optimise it. Can Tidal option come close to a server option now?  Has technology progressed in the past several years?

4. Cabling for each source option. 

Any other suggestions - all welcome. 

I would be grateful for and look forward to your thoughts.

Old beginner - Elztalbiker - 08-Feb-2020

Hello,

I would stay by your 800 and would add an server with ripper, Tidal, Quboz and hiresaudio. Example xo-one from xodos or acs10 from aurender.

The files from the server sounds more accurate to streaming services IMO

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

RE: Old beginner - Jean-Marie - 08-Feb-2020

I guess it depends on how you want to listen to your music.

You can go the route of a dedicated server/streamer and therefore spend a part of your budget there, or you can go the route of using your computer as your source, in which case the only other thing you need is your amp and your speakers. Following this later route (which is the one I’m using) I would envisage the upgrade of if D800 into a D1000 pro ci.

Choosing between the two routes also depends whether you can hear/perceive some differences depending on the source serving the files. Some are, others don’t, therefore that’s something to take into account in your choice.

Jean-Marie

RE: Old beginner - ssfas - 08-Feb-2020

(08-Feb-2020, 06:41)kw1373 Wrote: Hi all,

I have been idle for a few years (or even longer) in terms of upgrades and updates. Life moves on and sometimes hobbies take a back seat.  I love my music and am no less compelled by quality sound than before.  I would like to get back into “the game” and am prompted somewhat by the apparent death of my Naim server. 

If you were me, and you had ample budget (but within reason), what would you do to take this set-up to current cutting edge?

Pls note, as context, that I’m far behind (needing helping hand) when it comes to:

1. Next upgrade for Expert Pro. I see a plethora of options on Devialet site and have some difficulty grasping a clear path forward. 

2. A substitute for Naim UnitiServe (I should get it fixed too but perhaps it broke at an opportune time). 

3. Streaming options like Tidal and the associated gears to optimise it. Can Tidal option come close to a server option now?  Has technology progressed in the past several years?

The Naim Unitiserve used third party software that was also used in a device I had, and that died twice. The first time the third party developer (two guys in Wembley) fixed it remotely. Idon't think they are still in business and Naim have moved on.

What you do really depends on your budget and the rest of your system. The Pro CI upgrade is better all round, especially the streamer and it's general functionality. You could upgrade both, keep them both, or sell one and have a 250 Pro CI system.

I've gone from my UnitiServe type device (it was called an AVA Media Zara Premium, but used the same software and worked with n-Serve) to an Innuos Zen Mk3, that rips, stores, does Roon and streaming and best of all connects wired to Devialet Expert by ethernet rather than usb.

RE: Old beginner - BrianT - 08-Feb-2020

kw1373

If I was in your situation, which I am not. This is what I would do based on my upgrades.

1) Upgrade you 800 to 1000 PRO, on my upgrade from a 400 to 440 PRO I found a big improvement on the mids and low bass.
2) Purchase a streamer, Auralic G1, Aurender Etc. Install a SSD in the streamer.
3) Get a Tidal HiFi subscription, sound quality is very good. Rip any CD's on your computer and transfer them to the streamer
over your home network.
4) Connect the steamer to your 1000 PRO with a good AES/ESB cable, I only have 1 input selected on my 440 PRO

Control it all with an iPad, sit back and enjoy.

(at the moment I am using a great usb cable, my next upgrade will be an Audience AU24 AES/ESB cable)

Brian

Old beginner - no32 - 09-Feb-2020

(08-Feb-2020, 06:41)kw1373 Wrote: Hi all,

Keep the 800 and use one if the older FW

Upgrade the speakers ( not sure what’s your current set)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Old beginner - deviousalet - 09-Feb-2020

Yes, tell us about the rest of your system (speakers, cables, etc.) as those might affect our opinions.

RE: Old beginner - Cylob - 12-Feb-2020

Same advice as no32. First try an old firmware like 7.1.3.
You're 800 will sound golden. And it won't cost you anything.

RE: Old beginner - ochu2 - 29-Apr-2020

Hello all - I am new to Devialet ( recently bought an Expert Pro 220 ) and am looking for the 'my first Devialet' section of this forum - specifically, I need to learn about the configuration options.  Could anyone point me in the right direction please ?
Thanks.

RE: Old beginner - Pim - 29-Apr-2020

(29-Apr-2020, 08:25)ochu2 Wrote: Hello all - I am new to Devialet ( recently bought an Expert Pro 220 ) and am looking for the 'my first Devialet' section of this forum - specifically, I need to learn about the configuration options.  Could anyone point me in the right direction please ?
Thanks.

First  of all, welcome to the forum. There's a support section. Any questions posted there will be promptly  and proffesionally answered I'm sure.