Devialet Chat
EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience (/Thread-EtherRegen-saved-my-Devialet-experience)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - PeppaPig - 17-Jul-2020

(16-Jul-2020, 12:16)ICUDoc Wrote:
(14-Jul-2020, 13:04)David A Wrote:
(14-Jul-2020, 11:28)PeppaPig Wrote:

Additionally, the EtherRegen runs very very hot, especially summer I feel unsafe to leave it on 24 hours 7 days. It might be safe but it just make me worry. It’s so much hotter than my 1000watt Expert 1000 Pro after 2 hour of loud play.

Where do you live? I live in sub-tropical Australia and got my ETHERRegen in January, the height of our summer. It was a hot summer, you may remember we had all of those bushfires down the east coast of Australia. Here in Brisbane we regularly hit temperatures in the mid-30s Celsius. Yes, the case gets quite warm but I've been running it 24/7 since January including through two of the hottest months of a hot summer without problems. Uptone Audio say that yes, the case gets warm but it is running at temperatures within the operating specs of its components.

I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Hi I am in Victoria.

It might not be an issue. But it just shouldn’t be that warm, for no reason a switch should be that warm. I guess It’s the hottest device in my entire system, I think it indicates something is not done properly.

Like many thing it won’t be a problem but it just not right, it should not. Otherwise there is something not done in a proper way. But this is my personal view.

I took it out and using WiFi. For a period of time I use AirPort Express converting WiFi into Ethernet, very stable.

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - Antoine - 17-Jul-2020

It has many linear power regulators inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode regulators (which are noisier and less accurate). It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

I’d just stop worrying about it. Also check the manual, it describes the ‘running hot’.

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - Johnnydev - 17-Jul-2020

(17-Jul-2020, 11:32)Antoine Wrote: It has many linear power converters inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode converters. It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

I’d just stop worrying about it. Also check the manual, it describes the ‘running hot’.

+1

No problem at all

EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - PeppaPig - 18-Jul-2020

(17-Jul-2020, 11:32)Antoine Wrote: It has many linear power regulators inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode regulators (which are noisier and less accurate). It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

oh ok, I didn’t know it has linear power regulator. Thanks for sharing.

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - BoyScout - 18-Jul-2020

I´m a bit indecisive about testing one here at home.
I have a Zen mini as a source and I don't think it's guaranteed to improve the sound.
There´s someone with a similar system with results to share?

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - Snoopy8 - 18-Jul-2020

(18-Jul-2020, 12:23)BoyScout Wrote: I´m a bit indecisive about testing one here at home.
I have a Zen mini as a source and I don't think it's guaranteed to improve the sound.
There´s someone with a similar system with results to share?
Here are some Innuos Zenith users who own the EtherRegen
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=1033319
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=1023722
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=1003724

Do not know of any who have Innuos + Devialet combintation, who have tried the EtherRegen.  As for testing one, it comes witha 30 day money back guarantee. 

To answer your question in other thread, this is typical setup:  EtherRegen -> Streamer -> DAC.  Or if the DAC has an Ethernet port then EtherRegen -> DAC.

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - Antoine - 18-Jul-2020

(18-Jul-2020, 11:58)PeppaPig Wrote:
(17-Jul-2020, 11:32)Antoine Wrote: It has many linear power regulators inside and it’s a tiny box so it’ll logically become hotter than any ‘regular switch’ which will use more power efficient switch mode regulators (which are noisier and less accurate). It’s a bit like the comparison of class A vs. class D amplifiers. The latter will run much cooler and be more power efficient.

oh ok, I didn’t know it has linear power regulator. Thanks for sharing.

Had to look it up but there’s 12 of them, more than I remembered! I incorrectly wrote power regulators BTW but of course they’re ‘voltage regulators’.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/etherregen
Quote:
  • To support its performance, the power networks of the EtherREGEN are as sophisticated and costly as the rest of the design. We use 12 of the world’s lowest-noise, lowest-impedance integrated voltage regulators—the famous Linear Technology LT3045 and LT3042. Supporting both the voltage regulators and the data chips are 195 low-inductance, X7R and X5R capacitors sized and selected by their derating curves.

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - BoyScout - 18-Jul-2020

(18-Jul-2020, 12:48)Snoopy8 Wrote: Do not know of any who have Innuos + Devialet combintation, who have tried the EtherRegen.  As for testing one, it comes witha 30 day money back guarantee. 

To answer your question in other thread, this is typical setup:  EtherRegen -> Streamer -> DAC.  Or if the DAC has an Ethernet port then EtherRegen -> DAC.
Thanks for the support.
It´s a good help.

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - BoyScout - 24-Jul-2020

(18-Jul-2020, 18:49)BoyScout Wrote:
(18-Jul-2020, 12:48)Snoopy8 Wrote: Do not know of any who have Innuos + Devialet combintation, who have tried the EtherRegen.  As for testing one, it comes witha 30 day money back guarantee. 

Thanks for the support.
It´s a good help.

Hi Snoopy8,

After a long talk with my dealer, and he knows my system very well, i realize that maybe my problem came from the weakest point in the chain: the Zen mini. Of course there are other details to improve later, but this server, which provisionally bought just to release my laptop, it may be "braking" a bit the rest of the system.

So, i´m considering the changing. Because Innuos has a good price/quality ratio and a ripper (very important for me), i´m trying to find wich one between Zen MK3 and Zenith MK3 because, at first sight there aren´t a lot differences, just in price.
I´m searching reviews, tech details, comparisons, etc.
Have you a tip?

RE: EtherRegen saved my Devialet experience - Snoopy8 - 25-Jul-2020

(24-Jul-2020, 19:31)BoyScout Wrote: After a long talk with my dealer, and he knows my system very well, i realize that maybe my problem came from the weakest point in the chain: the Zen mini. Of course there are other details to improve later, but this server, which provisionally bought just to release my laptop, it may be "braking" a bit the rest of the system.

So, i´m considering the changing. Because Innuos has a good price/quality ratio and a ripper (very important for me), i´m trying to find wich one between Zen MK3 and Zenith MK3 because, at first sight there aren´t a lot differences, just in price.
I´m searching reviews, tech details, comparisons, etc.
Have you a tip?
I read that the Innuos streamers are good but have not used one. Are you using a linear power supply (LPSU)?  As a general statement, most streamers can be improved with a good LPSU.

If you have the money, upgrade the Innuos, get the EtherREGEN and buy LPSUs for both. If you have a limited budget, get LPSU for existing streamer or get EtherREGEN by itself.