Devialet Chat
phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? (/Thread-phono-ground-for-Expert-pro-220)

Pages: 1 2

phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - pvanosta - 16-Jul-2020

I bought my expert pro 220 used, a while back. Now I want to add a turntable and I see that the contact point for the phono ground is only a threaded shaft. Am I correct that there should be something screwed onto that thread and if so, does anyone know:
- size / thread?
- where I can get a replacement?

Thanks

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - Confused - 16-Jul-2020

Second picture is a 220 Pro ...

So it looks like the above.  I have no idea where you could get something similar.  Hopefully someone else can suggest something.

Maybe ask Devialet?  It should not be an expensive item.

Or visit a dealer that cheated you in the past, ask for a demo of a Devialet Expert, and slip it off when nobody is looking..... Angel

EDIT: Theft is a crime, and the above post is not intended to encourage or glamorise theft in anyway. The above post should not be interpreted as anything other than light hearted humor, see post #10 for explanation.

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - pvanosta - 16-Jul-2020

(16-Jul-2020, 18:05)Confused Wrote: Second picture is a 220 Pro ...

It looks like this.  I have no idea where you could get something similar.  Hopefully someone else can suggest something.

Maybe ask Devialet?  It should not be an expensive item.

Or visit a dealer that cheated you in the past, ask for a demo of a Devialet Expert, and slip it off when nobody is looking..... Angel
thanks, that nut/bolt part is definitely missing. I emailed Devialet. Not hopeful...

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - Confused - 16-Jul-2020

Or ….

You might be able to find something that happens to fit? As an example, I have one that is very similar on the back of an old Ethernet switch. Be very careful trying something "borrowed" from another product though, in case the thread types are slightly different. You do not want to damage thread on the stud on the Devialet.

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - thumb5 - 16-Jul-2020

I'd guess it's a standard metric thread (M2 or something like that?) so maybe you could use an ordinary nut or a wing nut available from a hardware store. It wouldn't be as pretty but should do the job.

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - pvanosta - 16-Jul-2020

I'm hoping Devialet support can at least give me the proper spec on the thread and I can try to figure it out from there...

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - Axel - 17-Jul-2020

(16-Jul-2020, 19:13)thumb5 Wrote: I'd guess it's a standard metric thread (M2 or something like that?) so maybe you could use an ordinary nut or a wing nut available from a hardware store.  It wouldn't be as pretty but should do the job.
Good idea, but I think a wing nut would foul the connectors. An ordinary nut would probably fit though.

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - Greg - 17-Jul-2020

(16-Jul-2020, 18:05)Confused Wrote: Second picture is a 220 Pro ...

Hmmm, so it is ok to thieve from a dealer that previously ripped you off?

Bad advise IMHO, ( I appreciate that maybe you weren’t intentionally being serious) not to mention your encouragement to others to act unlawfully. Simple theft is punishable up to a sentence of up to 10 years in prison. As most Devialet users are likely to be at a society level where one would not expect a member to steal, the likelihood is a custodial sentence is far more likely than a fine or some sort of community order. Yep, it won’t be ten years, but for sure it could be several months and even a community order could lead to job loss, marriage break up, loss of residence and much more. What an unintended and unexpected waste!

Yes, I realise the victim (dealer) is unlikely to pursue a charge, but the control will be with them. Are you sure you could trust them not to legally chase you? In the unlikelihood that they would, how confident are you that you would escape any court process or remain completely unscathed?

So much ignorance on the actual topic. This is a standard threaded shaft. Loads of fixings will match it whether bought from B&Q or eBay or elsewhere that will perform the task the OP wants. One could probably find the exact same fixing on the web and buy it for peanuts just to acquire the bit that the OP is missing. There are loads of Hi-Fi DIY component companies out there. For a couple of quid, absolutely no need to steal anything.

Of course, I recognise the recommendation I am commenting on is increasingly considered acceptable in our day and age. I see such recommendations on the wider web regularly. It’s just an extension of the acceptability of knocking off a pen from a colleagues desk which always was the thin end of the wedge. Shame that the thin end appears to have been blunted, so the wedge degenerates. Surely we need to recover some quality aesthetics for the continuation of a civilised society. Sadly, that probably includes the performance of our current (UK) government.

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - pvanosta - 18-Jul-2020

@Greg
I appreciate the advice. I am just trying to find out the dimensions of the threaded shaft so I can go and buy something that fits, since Devialet has not responded to my email request.
I just want to know the exact spec of the threaded shaft (or of the nut that will fit on it) so I can search for a replacement. I wouldn't know a 2M from a 2BA if it bit me, so any help here is appreciated.

RE: phono ground for Expert pro 220 ? - Confused - 18-Jul-2020

@pvanosta - I have a bit more time now as it is the weekend.  I removed one of the knurled earth connector nuts from one of my 250Pro's, see photo's above.

The pictures are not great, but it should give you a good idea of what the original Devialet supplied item looks like.  I am presuming that the 220Pro has the same item as the 250Pro, there is no conceivable reason why they should be different.  (plus it looks like my patio table needs varnishing!)

Space is tight on the Devialet, so it does need to be this type of design, or very similar.  (see picture)

You (or anyone else) can judge from the pictures, but it looks like an M4 thread, 6mm overall diameter, with 12mm overall length.  I have had a look on the 'net, I can find many similar items, but nothing identical.  (many similar looking items are shorter than the 12mm long item used by Devialet)

Some links below, but as full dimensions are not shown it is not clear that any of these are 100% correct, as I mentioned, space is tight at the back of a Devialet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832154190.html

https://www.lazada.sg/products/20pcs10pcs-knurled-thumb-nut-m4-m5-m6-m8-m10-m12-stainless-steel-extend-long-knurled-hand-tighten-coupling-nut-connecting-nut-i699862182.html

So as a weekend challenge to the community, can anyone find a link to something that matches the photographs above?

To be honest, I am sure Devialet must have a bucket load of these somewhere at their factory, and if it was me I would like to have the right item.  It would be nice if they responded to your correspondence and helped you out.  

@Greg - My earlier post was intended as a bit of light hearted humor.  Maybe this could be misinterpreted, so I would like to absolutely clear that I do not wish to encourage theft from hifi dealers, or anyone else. I would delete this part of my post, but it now needs to remain to keep the context of your post that responds to it. I have edited my earlier post to clarify that in no way do I wish to encourage theft at any level.

Maybe I need to explain the humor?  It was to encourage the image of something like a "revenge movie", somewhere there is a disgruntled audiophile so mentally tormented by an early life event at a hifi dealer that he comes up with a cunning and elaborate heist to liberate the offending dealer of a knurled earthing nut and hence gain the satisfaction and glory of retribution.  Of course, if you factor in the time involved, transport costs, parking etc., it would probably not really have been worth it for a $5 nut.  Hence I thought this was moderately amusing.  That said, I have to agree that petty theft is the "thin end of the wedge" and should not be encouraged in any way.  So I apologise unreservedly for my earlier careless comment.