Devialet Chat
Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note (/Thread-Firmware-13-2-0-DOS-2-2-6-for-Expert-Pro-Release-note)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Dan - 08-Oct-2020

I would be curious if anyone out there has tried the sweet room DSP and can compare the SQ to measuring your room and generating filters in REW and adding them in ROON? Is the sound quality better if the DSP is done in the Devialet? It certainly is easier to generate several sets of filters in REW put them in ROON and then you can quickly A/B them.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - BoyScout - 08-Oct-2020

(08-Oct-2020, 17:01)AlexS Wrote: I found a good article explaining how to configure Equalization with Sweet Room:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58a9f8d603596ede2f143871/t/5f7d9a9c0a39600f1d8a81ce/1602067102218/Sweet+Room.pdf

I was lost as to the meaning of Q-factor, until I stumbled on this article:
https://howtoeq.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/q-factor-and-bandwidth-in-eq-what-it-all-means/#:~:text=Q%20factor%20controls%20the%20bandwidth,more%20frequencies%20will%20be%20affected).

I guess it allows you to narrow down the gain frequency range? The higher the number, the narrower the affected range?

But, where is the file to alter the EQ values? Isn´t for sure one of the firmware...

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Music or sound - 09-Oct-2020

I don't get why EQ is advertised as room correction. In the best case it can correct speaker frequency response. A one dimensional solution for a 3d problem of the room acoustics.
SAM is within its limitation to low frequency much more sophisticated considering the loudspeaker physical limitations and phase.
So In my opinion the EQ feature is a stick to through to us (not even a bone) to make us think Devialet gave us some new feature!
Otherwise I am quite happy with the firmware upgrade!
PS. I am using REW and FuzzMeasure and have 2 measuring microphones

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - ada - 09-Oct-2020

(09-Oct-2020, 04:59)Music or sound Wrote: I don't get why EQ is advertised as room correction. In the best case it can correct speaker frequency response. A one dimensional solution for a 3d problem of the room acoustics.
SAM is within its limitation to low frequency much more sophisticated considering the loudspeaker physical limitations and phase.
So In my opinion the EQ feature is a stick to through to us (not even a bone) to make us think Devialet gave us some new feature!
Otherwise I am quite happy with the firmware upgrade!
PS. I am using REW and FuzzMeasure and have 2 measuring microphones

Sometimes I feel so lonely and I question myself about if I am a bad person that critisize this product just for sake of criticism. Thank you, someone that sees how it looks like from my window.

We should understand why Devialet promote is as 9 bands EQ and Sweet Room because it is not a digital room correction solution. Anyway, you made my day, thanks again.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Out of Gum - 09-Oct-2020

Could someone explain me in layman terms what the difference is between what dirac is doing en what is possible with sweet room? What i understand is that they both adjust the response curve by smoothening the peaks and valleys of that curve.

On a side note, i believe that in another thread a while ago someone said you could send devialet a response curve of your room and they would send you a custom profile for that. It appears that the functionality of sweet room was already available although only on request and with support from devialet

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - thumb5 - 09-Oct-2020

Dirac has a more sophisticated signal processing algorithm that can correct more than uneven frequency response, the peaks and valleys you mentioned. For example, it can correct time domain behaviour such as "smearing" of the loudspeakers' impulse response (how they respond to a sharp transient) - that's not possible with Sweet Room.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - ogs - 09-Oct-2020

SAM and EQ are quite different things. SAM is working on known parameters, the interaction between a given loudspeaker and the amplifier. The amplitude response of a speaker in a room is unknown to the amplifier, but needs correction. In the bass range in particular, below the so called Schroeder frequency of the room. The new EQ feature of Expert amps is a very nice addition. Of course SAM is much more advanced as it also deals with (electrical) phase, but it doesn't change the room/speaker interaction.

When I had a 250 Pro I used SAM, parametric EQ (in Roon) and a RC filter with time correction made in Audiolense XO (loaded in convolution in Roon). I'd prefer to run both convolution and EQ in the amp if it was available, to offload my Roon core. Now EQ is an option in the amplifier and I think many can benefit from it.
So the EQ function in the new firmware is not room correction as @Music or sound says. To be room correction it would need to correct both in frequency and time (acoustic phase) domain at the same time. Dirac does this. Audiolense XO, Acourate, Trinnov and others too.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Out of Gum - 09-Oct-2020

Thanks! SAM is already doing some phase correction so in combination with EQ the result should already be quite nice right? Maybe not as nice as with Dirac in theory but still good

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - ogs - 09-Oct-2020

(09-Oct-2020, 12:21)Out of Gum Wrote: Thanks! SAM is already doing some phase correction so in combination with EQ the result should already be quite nice right? Maybe not as nice as with Dirac in theory but still good

Absolutely! And your vinyl playing will definitely be even better with EQ correction in the bass range. Minimizing unevenness in bass frequency response is quite important. Keep in mind that it may take some trials to get right....

I guess i will be ordering a UMIK then.