Devialet Chat
Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note (/Thread-Firmware-13-2-0-DOS-2-2-6-for-Expert-Pro-Release-note)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - Axel - 27-Oct-2020

(26-Oct-2020, 10:10)David A Wrote: @Axel

To respond to your question first, yes the Devialet does have 2 way USB functionality but the incoming signal it is currently capable of dealing with is music playback so it would seem that the input goes to the DAC. I'm not certain whether it would take software additional to the room correction software in order to enable a mic input to be passed to room correction software for analysis and input into the correction calculation process.

And that in a way is the difficulty in relation to your first question. We don't know what the capabilities, and more importantly, the limitations are for the processor and storage in the current Expert Pros. My understanding is that the limit for the SD card slot and reader is 8 GB which isn't all that much these days and we also don't know what the read speed capability is. Using the card the way it is currently used, for access to relatively small text files for configurations and also relatively small files for the OS and FW (a total of 62.3 MB for the current OS/FW) isn't going to require much in the way of access speed. A  lot may depend on what you use the SD card for and we don't know what Devialet would need to do to the FW and OS if they were going to change the usage of the SD card in the way you suggest.

I'm also a little cautious about using the SD card for something more critical than config files under normal circumstances because I had a problem with my SD card slot last year when my 140 Pro stopped reading cards and needed to go back to France for repair. I could have continued to use it with the factory config but the real problem was that I was no longer capable of installing updates. I'm not certain the SD card is a good storage option for "mission critical" functions.

I'm also not certain how confident I would be about adopting a Devialet room correction software function given that they had a serious bug with Roon Ready capability and some seem to think that it still is not completely solved, and given that Sweet Room doesn't work properly if you're running SAM and given that SAM is a major point in Devialet's technology claims, the fact that they released Sweet Room in a state unable to function properly with SAM and seemed unaware of the problem doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I think the big priority for Devialet right now is making sure the current OS and FW software is actually bug free and fully functional for all advertised functions. If they can't manage that, then they probably can't manage a significant OS and FW rewrite to accommodate some pretty intensive new software functionality without introducing new problems and I think it's time they actually managed to give us a software version without problems before they try doing anything else.
But on second thoughts...
With a firmware update it may be possible to use the USB input for mic. measurement.
I’m not certain that the all sing all dancing CI board wouldn’t be capable of using the SD card as extra memory and that a FW update wouldn’t be capable of raising the 8GB limit.
I’ve never had a problem with my SD card slot and assuming that Ethernet/wireless configuration were possible, and that Devialet could configure the SD card to be used as extra memory, the SD card would only need to be inserted once. Fit and forget.
I’ve never had a problem with an SD card in any of my cameras where multiple read/write operations have been performed, so I see no reason that it shouldn’t be up to the task of simple memory extension. I also don’t see a problem with read/write speeds as the DSP information would only have to be read once at boot up.
Devialet could and probably will address the SAM/dual mono bug and as for the Roon Ready bug I have to say that I don’t have any problems in that area. I think that Devialet rely on us as beta testers for buggy software; we just don’t know it!  Wink
I actually think that Devialet are capable of great things. They’ve already delivered a groundbreaking series of amplifiers and technologies and if only they’d pull their digits out of their fundaments on the soft/firmware front and apply themselves to the issues at hand , I see no reason that most if not all of what I’ve suggested could be achieved.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - markush - 27-Oct-2020

Either way, the Devialet / OS platform is very capable and if they are using the web-service component more or any other upcoming solutions it's great to have a flexible platform they can adapt. I know that Dirac is in exchange with Devialet - so exciting to hear what they might be up to.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - David A - 27-Oct-2020

@Axel ,

You said "With a firmware update it may be possible to use the USB input for mic. measurement.
I’m not certain that the all sing all dancing CI board wouldn’t be capable of using the SD card as extra memory and that a FW update wouldn’t be capable of raising the 8GB limit."

You're right, those things MAY be possible. My point was that we don't know what is possible because the capabilities of the board, the processor, and the amount of storage available aren't public knowledge. If there are no hardware limitations preventing what you're suggesting, then if they'd "pull their digits out of their fundaments" as you put it they should be able to deliver what you suggest. On the other hand, if their are hardware limitations preventing what you're suggesting then quite possibly none of what you've suggested could be achieved. As I said, we don't know what the hardware capabilities and limitations are and that means we have no way of knowing what can be achieved.

You also said "… if only they’d pull their digits out of their fundaments on the soft/firmware front and apply themselves to the issues at hand , I see no reason that most if not all of what I’ve suggested could be achieved." Being able to achieve most of what you've suggested might be no better than being able to deliver none of it. It doesn't matter whether the SD card can or can't be used for extra storage. What counts is whether the amp with it's current hardware can do everything that is required to deliver a given functionality. If it can, then we may see that functionality. If it can't, then it doesn't matter whether it can do most of what's required to deliver the functionality or only a fraction of what's required, it simply can't deliver the functionality if it can't do everything required for deliver.

@markush

Devialet may be in discussion with Dirac but that doesn't mean that we may see Dirac in the Expert Pro range. Perhaps they're in planning for the next model in the amplifier series and what they're talking about will never be implemented on the Expert Pro range, just like there are things implemented in the Expert Pro range which aren't available on the Expert range. Let's say they can do something with Dirac for the Expert Pro range. They did something with Roon and RAAT, didn't get it quite right, and took 20 months to deliver a bug fix which some people are saying hasn't fixed that problem. Their own room correction feature, Sweet Room, doesn't play well with SAM and you can only use 5 filters per channel with SAM rather than their stated 9 filters per channel. How long is it going to take to fix that, and to fix the RAAT ethernet problem if they still haven't got that right? Talking to Dirac is fine but delivering something people can use, and use without problems, is another thing entirely.

There's an old saying about not counting your chickens before they're hatched. It seems to me that people are already counting the chickens Devialet are going to deliver and Devialet hasn't told any of us how many eggs are in their nest.

If the RAAT problem and the Sweet Room problem tell us anything, it's that rolling a firmware release out the door and saying it can do something is most definitely not the same thing as rolling a firmware release out the door that can actually do what Devialet says it will do. Given that, we're getting way ahead of ourselves if we want to think that we're having a serious discussion about what Devialet may deliver in the future when they've said nothing publicly about their plans.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - jvoki - 27-Oct-2020

(26-Oct-2020, 10:10)David A Wrote: @Axel

I'm also a little cautious about using the SD card for something more critical than config files under normal circumstances because I had a problem with my SD card slot last year when my 140 Pro stop reading cards and needed to go back to France for repair. I could have continued to use it with the factory config but the real problem was that I was no longer capable of installing updates. I'm not certain the SD card is a good storage option for "mission critical" functions.
+1

And more:
SD card on companion is out for online acces. Comunication Master Slave is out of network protocol. Is not possibility mount Slave SD card and write online. Forgot functions like online Dual mono web configurator, online Sweet room.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - ogs - 28-Oct-2020

(27-Oct-2020, 14:21)David A Wrote: Devialet may be in discussion with Dirac but that doesn't mean that we may see Dirac in the Expert Pro range.

For Expert Pro, Devialet is still using the 'old' entry into ADH. I.e. there is actually only one digital input path within the the amplifier(Mathieu Pernot told me this). Input switching (AES, coax, USB, output from CI etc.) sits in front of this single input. I think the CI board has much of it's capacity unused and it is only used for RAAT today, maybe AIR.

Dirac and indeed ordinary convolution would have to run on the CI board. Input switching would have to send output to the CI board which then routes it's output to the aforementioned input. Questions are(as you have discussed in your post): Is it possible? Does the CI have necessary capacity? Will Devialet do this? If yes, when?

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - markush - 28-Oct-2020

Maybe Mathiez can elaborate this more. He’s responding in the Sweet Room Thread Wink

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - ogs - 28-Oct-2020

(28-Oct-2020, 17:08)markush Wrote: Maybe Mathiez can elaborate this more. He’s responding in the Sweet Room Thread Wink

Here on DC? Are you sure?

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - bernardl - 29-Oct-2020

The good news here is that in order to integrate Dirac Devialet needed first to have an easy interface to take into account Dirac's output and use it to control the corrections right?

So they have half of the job done. What remains is the user experience to control Dirac.

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - David A - 29-Oct-2020

(29-Oct-2020, 06:15)bernardl Wrote: The good news here is that in order to integrate Dirac Devialet needed first to have an easy interface to take into account Dirac's output and use it to control the corrections right?

So they have half of the job done. What remains is the user experience to control Dirac.

What interface do Devialet have that you are referring to?

RE: Firmware 13.2.0 - DOS 2.2.6 for Expert Pro - Release note - markush - 29-Oct-2020

(28-Oct-2020, 20:09)ogs Wrote:
(28-Oct-2020, 17:08)markush Wrote: Maybe Mathiez can elaborate this more. He’s responding in the Sweet Room Thread Wink

Here on DC? Are you sure?

Not at https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016719679-Introduction-to-Expert-Pro-Sweet-Room