Devialet Chat
Sweet Room - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: Sweet Room (/Thread-Sweet-Room)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sweet Room - PeppaPig - 26-Oct-2020

(25-Oct-2020, 23:43)alandbush Wrote:
(25-Oct-2020, 22:45)PeppaPig Wrote:
(25-Oct-2020, 12:58)alandbush Wrote: I am not an expert, especially with regard to subwoofers, but reviewing your measurements suggests that your crossover would be better placed at 80hz. This may allow the sub to 'fill' the 'hole' in the 40-80hz range as well as removing the main speaker output below 40hz.  Of course, that all depends on the subs room placement and it's volume.

At least with REW, you can measure and see the effect that altering the crossover can have together with the effect of altering the volume of the sub.

Good luck.

At the moment the cross over is set the minimum 30Hz, it use REL high level input. If I set it to 80Hz , isn’t the sub bass section will bump up higher?

Again, I am not an expert, nor do I have a sub.

Perhaps the following image best describes what you want to achieve.

180hz crossover frequency example

The sub (blue plot) provides the low frequencies upto around 180hz, before rolling off and the main speakers (purple plot) roll in to provide the rest of the frequency range.

In your case, setting the crossover to around 75hz should cause the sub to provide the frequencies upto 75hz and the main speakers providing the rest of the frequency range.
Importantly, the crossover prevents the main speaker output around 20-40hz doubling up with the output of the sub.

Hi Alan, I used the REL high level input so the main speaker and subwoofer are both generating the bass at the same time. Anyone use high level input will face the same problem then?

RE: Sweet Room - alandbush - 27-Oct-2020

(26-Oct-2020, 23:19)PeppaPig Wrote:
(25-Oct-2020, 23:43)alandbush Wrote:
(25-Oct-2020, 22:45)PeppaPig Wrote: At the moment the cross over is set the minimum 30Hz, it use REL high level input. If I set it to 80Hz , isn’t the sub bass section will bump up higher?

Again, I am not an expert, nor do I have a sub.

Perhaps the following image best describes what you want to achieve.

180hz crossover frequency example

The sub (blue plot) provides the low frequencies upto around 180hz, before rolling off and the main speakers (purple plot) roll in to provide the rest of the frequency range.

In your case, setting the crossover to around 75hz should cause the sub to provide the frequencies upto 75hz and the main speakers providing the rest of the frequency range.
Importantly, the crossover prevents the main speaker output around 20-40hz doubling up with the output of the sub.

Hi Alan, I used the REL high level input so the main speaker and subwoofer are both generating the bass at the same time. Anyone use high level input will face the same problem then?

Ah, my apologies as you did mention the use of the high level signal.  Presumably using the REL crossover.
My suggestion is that you change to using the Devialet subwoofer pre out with the Devialet crossover set to 75hz.
I don't have a Devialet, so I expect to be corrected, but I presume the main speakers receive the high frequencies and the sub pre out outputs the low frequencies.  If so, the REL crossover will need to be 75hz or greater.

Otherwise, remove the sub and reposition the main speakers, or seating position, to produce a more even low frequency range.

That's the limit of my knowledge having neither a Devialet amp or subwoofer.

Ps - there must be another thread(s) on DevialetChat discussing the setup of a sub with the Devialet, if not on Devialets own website.

RE: Sweet Room - thumb5 - 27-Oct-2020

A quick link here to an interesting video I found today that's quite relevant to this topic: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Frequency-response-what-s-normal-for-an-untreated-room.

Sweet Room - PeppaPig - 28-Oct-2020

(27-Oct-2020, 20:25)thumb5 Wrote: A quick link here to an interesting video I found today that's quite relevant to this topic: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Frequency-response-what-s-normal-for-an-untreated-room.

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

RE: Sweet Room - tategoi - 04-Dec-2020

I had some time earlier this week and decided to have some fun with my newly acquired Umik-1. Downloaded the REW and watched a few video to learn ho to use it.

1. I normally had the SAM set at 25%. Anything higher the room nodes are more audible. A few measurement on REW confirmed my observation. There was a boost of approximately 5 dB at frequencies up to 50 Hz. Decided to set it at 0 as my reference measurement.
  2. Calibrated the Umik-1 by uploading the calibration file to REW. 
  3. Bought a long USB cable to connect the my iMac (just behind the listening position) to the O'dA.
  4. Set the reference calibration level to 75 dB with pink noise. 
  5. Start the measurement. Took a few with the Umik-1 set a few inches to the right, left, front and back from my usual ear position at the sweet spot. 
  6. Average all the readings and apply VAR smoothing to the curves.
  7. Uploaded Harman's house curve to REW.
  8. When performing EQ I chose rePhase as recommended in this forum.
  9. Only performed EQ on frequencies up to 200 Hz. 
  10. Only taming the frequencies, no boosting as recommended in this forum.
  11. Translated REW filter settings to Devialet EQ.txt template in the Alternate section while setting the Main as null (no room correction) for A/B testing 
    .txt   eq.txt (Size: 1.98 KB / Downloads: 14)

12. Copy to SD card with and reset the O'dA.

MAIN: no correction. ALTERNATE: Sweet room. 

The effect is the bass is softer but less muddy and better defined. And if I want more oomph at low end I will turn up SAM.

I read that the Q value should not be more than 10. My Q goes as high as 35. I have yet to figure out if there is a way to limit the Q value when performing the EQ in REW. If anyone knows please advise.

RE: Sweet Room - Delija - 04-Dec-2020

That's a pretty nasty wide and deep dip in 30-60 Hz range - and there is a lot of music in this range.
Have you tried to "play" a little with speaker and/or listener positioning?

RE: Sweet Room - alandbush - 04-Dec-2020

(04-Dec-2020, 16:16)tategoi Wrote: I read that the Q value should not be more than 10. My Q goes as high as 35. I have yet to figure out if there is a way to limit the Q value when performing the EQ in REW. If anyone knows please advise.

Try the REW equaliser help page, specifically the 'Filter tasks' section.

Disabling 'Allow narrow filters below 200Hz' sets Q to a maximum of 5.

However, check the accompanying description as to the effect it has on filter generation.

Ps - I would like to view your measurement. Would you be prepared to attach the .mdat measurement file?

Pops - I note that filters 5 and 6 are ignored. I presume that's the known bug resulting from the conflict of SAM with Sweet Room.

RE: Sweet Room - tategoi - 05-Dec-2020

(04-Dec-2020, 16:35)Delija Wrote: That's a pretty nasty wide and deep dip in 30-60 Hz range - and there is a lot of music in this range.
Have you tried to "play" a little with speaker and/or listener positioning?

Positioning is probably the next step I need to take in order to boost the trough, now that I have the Umik-1 and REW. 

However, they don't look that bad with psychoacoustic smoothing.

No correction | Sweet Room

RE: Sweet Room - tategoi - 05-Dec-2020

(04-Dec-2020, 18:28)alandbush Wrote:
(04-Dec-2020, 16:16)tategoi Wrote: I read that the Q value should not be more than 10. My Q goes as high as 35. I have yet to figure out if there is a way to limit the Q value when performing the EQ in REW. If anyone knows please advise.

Try the REW equaliser help page, specifically the 'Filter tasks' section.

Disabling 'Allow narrow filters below 200Hz' sets Q to a maximum of 5.

However, check the accompanying description as to the effect it has on filter generation.

Ps - I would like to view your measurement.  Would you be prepared to attach the .mdat measurement file?

Pops - I note that filters 5 and 6 are ignored. I presume that's the known bug resulting from the conflict of SAM with Sweet Room.

Thanks for the tips and link to the help page, I will refer to it when I do the next EQ.

I read that filters after 5 are ignored, but from the charts it look like only filters 1-4 are applied as there is no correction on frequencies above 100 Hz. 

I cannot attach the .mdat file here. Perhaps I will send you separately.

RE: Sweet Room - Delija - 05-Dec-2020

@tategoi
It could look even better / flatter if you scale your graph to 0-200 dB range, but that's not the point Smile

The dip is 30 Hz wide and 15 dB deep and that's pretty significant. If positioning doesn't help - subwoofers would. Devialet provides all needed for perfect suwoofer(s) integration.