Devialet Chat
Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? (/Thread-Devialet-WiFi-Bit-Perfect)

Pages: 1 2 3

Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - Sailor4W - 19-Nov-2020

Hello All,

I hope someone can help me: I am running Roon on a SonicTransport i5 that is hard-wired to my router. I am using Roon's Air over WiFi on my Devialet Expert 120. Everything works perfectly fine, no dropouts or anything. Except one thing that I don't quite understand. Roon tells me that every album up to 96/24 is streamed bit-perfect into my Devialet, indicated by the white diamonds of the signal path. But as soon as a 192/24 file is streamed to the Devialet, the signal path indicates 'only' high quality signal path with a green dot located at the Devialet Air symbol (see attached screenshot).

Does that indicate that Devialet's WiFi downscales e 192/24 file to 96/24? Or in other words, is Devialet's WiFi unable to accept a 192/24 signal?

Thanks for any input!

RE: Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - petrik - 19-Nov-2020

Devialet AIR does not allow bit perfect streaming above 24/96 kHz when using Wifi. You need to use Ethernet if you want to have bit perfect 24/192 kHz streaming with Devialet AIR.

Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - ghosttipper - 19-Nov-2020

Air Wifi is Bit perfecr. If you use roon convertion, headroom and so on, then it couldn‘t be Bit perfect any more by WiFi or Ethernet

RE: Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - Chris Marshall - 20-Nov-2020

Hi

Above 24/96, the wifi changes it's mode to increase reliability I believe, I think it changes the clock control from the receiving device (the devialet) to the sending device the PC). It should still be bit perfect but the devialet is receiving a less accurately timed file (more jitter?). Whether this makes any difference depends how well the devialet deals with this, in practice I felt more comfortable with ethernet for DSD and 24/192 but it's probably more paranoia than reality. There are (or were) some pages buried somewhere in devialet's website that talk about this with a more correct technical explanation.

cheers

Chris

Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - Elztalbiker - 20-Nov-2020

Found something on Roon site

Seems do be a recommendation about the network stability

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

RE: Devialet WiFi Bit Perfect? - Sailor4W - 20-Nov-2020

(19-Nov-2020, 18:42)petrik Wrote: Devialet AIR does not allow bit perfect streaming above 24/96 kHz when using Wifi. You need to use Ethernet if you want to have bit perfect 24/192 kHz streaming with Devialet AIR.

Thanks, just realised it myself. I was just wondering if some settings in the Devialet configurator were not set correctly.

(19-Nov-2020, 19:20)ghosttipper Wrote: Air Wifi is Bit perfecr. If you use roon convertion, headroom and so on, then it couldn‘t be Bit perfect any more by WiFi or Ethernet

Thanks! I am aware of this. I turned off all Roon DSP parameters.

(20-Nov-2020, 09:54)Chris Marshall Wrote: Hi

Above 24/96, the wifi changes it's mode to increase reliability I believe, I think it changes the clock control from the receiving device (the devialet) to the sending device the PC).  It should still be bit perfect but the devialet is receiving a less accurately timed file (more jitter?).  Whether this makes any difference depends how well the devialet deals with this, in practice I felt more comfortable with ethernet for DSD and 24/192 but it's probably more paranoia than reality.  There are (or were) some pages buried somewhere in devialet's website that talk about this with a more correct technical explanation.

cheers

Chris

Wow, good to know!

I thought either Roon or Devialet would have some algorithm built in to automatically down-sample everything above 96 kHz files. But I do see the reason of increasing reliability of transmission. I switched to Ethernet in the meantime and all 196 kHz files are kept as such!

DSD? Does Devialet do some DS? Didn't know that. But I should finally read Devialet's manual!

(20-Nov-2020, 10:38)Elztalbiker Wrote: Found something on Roon site

Seems do be a recommendation about the network stability

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the link!!! Just as the Devialet manual, I do find Roon's manual sometimes truly nested and one needs to wade through all those pages and Roon community comments.

Great link, thanks!

In the meantime, I switched my Devialet to Ethernet, and voilà, bit-perfect up to 24/196!