Devialet Chat
DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Phantom I (103 DB, 108 DB, Premier Classic, Silver & Gold) (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Phantom-I-103-DB-108-DB-Premier-Classic-Silver-Gold)
+--- Thread: DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) (/Thread-DAC-for-Gold-Phantom-Stereo)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - ogs - 03-Jan-2021

(03-Jan-2021, 17:25)Hrithik0015 Wrote: I got Audirvana and using Upnp to stream music to speakers. Works better than optical

Ah! Of course - Audirvana can play straight to Phantoms via network. Good solution! Better than Toslink...

DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - borisy - 04-Jan-2021

(03-Jan-2021, 09:24)ogs Wrote: Does the 2i unfold MQA when Tidal connect is used?

yes. MQA files from tidal connect can be recognized by 2i[Image: e71be06abc7f9fa96e5ff7dd03aa5643.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - ogs - 04-Jan-2021

But only via it's DAC, not on Toslink I assume?

(04-Jan-2021, 09:27)ogs Wrote: But only via it's DAC, not on Toslink I assume?

supposingly, 2i should decode the MQA before passing to Phantom. The signal path can be seen in ROON if local MQA file / TIDAL master is played inside ROON.

I see, so you are doing the first unfold in Roon for local files. Then the Toslink of the 2i will output this to Phantom. If Tidal connect on 2i outputs a digital full MQA decode on Toslink I think it may be a violation of the MQA license...

(04-Jan-2021, 12:40)ogs Wrote: I see, so you are doing the first unfold in Roon for local files. Then the Toslink of the 2i will output this to Phantom. If Tidal connect on 2i outputs a digital full MQA decode on Toslink I think it may be a violation of the MQA license...

[Image: d52562a484084f0b3c058f11a62a6b10.jpg]

I am not sure whether MQA license is violated or not

RE: DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - Confused - 04-Jan-2021

Reading this thread makes me think that it worth a quick reminder that the "second unfold" for MQA does not actually provide any additional data from the music file, or indeed anything of use for a Devialet Phantom. The second unfold is upsampling (which a Phantom does anyway for inputs below 24/192) and the imposition of a minimum phase filter.

The first unfold does matter, and this can be done in some music playing software, such as Roon, Tidal and others.

I wrote about this last year in a post regarding MQA for the Expert range, but in principle it applies equally for the Phantom.

See link:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Decoder-or-render-setting-phantom-in-audirvana-and-roon?pid=90205#pid90205

The simple answer is to make sure that you have software that will perform the first unfold, and then don't worry about the second unfold, it cannot benefit a Phantom. In fact arguably the second unfold is of little use even to an MQA DAC, other than being able to offer a nice looking file bitrate on the DAC's display and a blue light. The actual file bitrate shown for the second unfold is bogus, it would be no different to a Phantom displaying 24/192 when playing a 16/44.1 file, just because the Phantom has upsampled the input.

(04-Jan-2021, 12:48)borisy Wrote: I am not sure whether MQA license is violated or not

Nor am I. Analog out is normal for MQA Full Decoder. Your signal path also says Digital Outputs. I do not know Bluesound's agreement with MQA, but in general a Fully Decoded MQA is normally not allowed on digital outputs. What happens if you play MQA that is 192kHz? Does Toslink output a 192kHz stream?

RE: DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - njaiswal - 05-Jan-2021

I have node2i streamers in my house and I can confirm that the node2i recognizes tidal MQA. You must set the optical output to fixed volume in order for the node 2i to send the unfolded data through the optical out. I hear a noticeable difference when playing HIFI vs Masters tracks.

DAC for Gold Phantom (Stereo) - borisy - 07-Jan-2021

(04-Jan-2021, 21:25)ogs Wrote:
(04-Jan-2021, 12:48)borisy Wrote: I am not sure whether MQA license is violated or not

Nor am I. Analog out is normal for MQA Full Decoder. Your signal path also says Digital Outputs. I do not know Bluesound's agreement with MQA, but in general a Fully Decoded MQA is normally not allowed on digital outputs. What happens if you play MQA that is 192kHz? Does Toslink output a 192kHz stream?

[Image: f59b5eb2a1c312dfca7e1f8ebec8e527.jpg]