Devialet Chat
Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro (/Thread-Connect-TV-and-Sonos-Port-to-Devialet-Expert-Pro)

Pages: 1 2

Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - dlange - 20-Feb-2021

Hi, I'm considering buying an Expert Pro. Two things that I would like to get your advice on to ensure my partner is happy with the set-up for every-day use as well;

#1 I would like to plug in my TV to the amp in a way that enables me to control the volume using my TV remote:
- How do you recommend to connect my TV to the amp in a way that enables me to control the volume using my TV remote? The TV has two audio-out options (optical digital audio, and HDMI ARC).
- Will the Expert Pro be able to wake up automatically if the TV starts to emit music?

#2 I would also want to embed the Expert Pro into our Sonos system by plugging in a Sonos Port  Here I have two questions;
- Is it possible to volume control from the Sonos Port? If yes, how should I connect?
- Will the Expert Pro be able to wake up automatically if the Sonos Port starts to emit music?

Thanks!

Best,
Daniel

Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - disarmamant - 20-Feb-2021

Deleted

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - Damon - 21-Feb-2021

Hi @dlange Daniel,

Welcome! I think I can give you some solid answers to some of your questions. I'm just moving away from a modified Sonos:CONNECT as the front end of my system with a Devialet amp. I do not use my stereo with the TV, but others do and I'm sure that you will get some excellent guidance. Note that there is a start up sequence with the Devialet that takes about 20 seconds or so, and there is no sound in that time.

If everything is grouped together, I'd almost suggest connecting the TV to the Sonos Port, rather than to the Devialet.

For your question group #2, I can help. The Connect is similar to the Port, but also has a coax output as well as the optical out. When I had a stock Connect I used the optical out from the Sonos into the Devialet. When I replaced the stock Connect with the Wyred4Sound modified Connect, I used the Coax out from the Connect into the Devialet.

Assuming the Port has similar functionality to the Connect, I set the optical / Coax output, as assigned to 'Living Room' to a fixed level output. The Connect was also connected to a Sonos Amp which powered the in-wall speakers in our kitchen.

For general listening in the kitchen, we used the Sonos app and played music in the kitchen. If we wanted to do more serious listening or have more sound, I would manually turn the Devialet on, and because the Sonos output to the Dev was set to a fixed volume, we used the Devialet remote to control the volume in the living room. This was our preference, to have the two systems controlled separately for volume, and it worked perfectly.

I don't think the Connect had a trigger out, but I'm not certain. The Devialet has a trigger port, which should work to wake it up, if it detects a signal and the trigger function is turned on in the Configurator. Others will step in here; I have not used the trigger function.

Since the Port only has an optical out, that will be your only 'pure' digital signal out option from the Port.

I'm selling my W4S Connect and it's in the box, so I'm going on recent memory, but I am confident the Port will satisfy domestic demands for getting the full range of streaming services and radio to the Devialet. I had that exact same demand here.

I'm not sure if I've answered your questions adequately or clearly. If not, let me know and I'll clarify or expand as requested.

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - dlange - 21-Feb-2021

Thank you @Damon This was a super helpful reply!

The Port actually has a trigger port, so waking up will likely not be an issue. But yes, volume control I assume will have to happen from the Devialet remote in that case.

You mention the Dev has a up to 20s start-up sequence. Is that the case also when it is in stand-by (assuming there is a stand-by mode)?

As for the TV, unfortunatley the Port only has analog inputs, and my TV only has digital outputs. So routing it through the Port will not work as far as I can see Sad Otherwise that would have been a great set-up indeed!

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - Damon - 21-Feb-2021

The 'start up' is about the same from totally off or from standby. Maybe 5 seconds longer from off. From Stand By, the amp 'wakes up' then does a self check, then is functional. You can set the default start up input (last used input or a specific input regardless of what was last used) and a start up volume. I think the Sonos has a similar start up volume behaviour.

The Port has an optical in; does your TV have an optical out capacity? Or would a small in-line DAC allow you to connect the TV to the Port? I'm totally guessing here.

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - thumb5 - 21-Feb-2021

Hello dlange.  To follow up Damon's suggestion and make it concrete: in the past I've used a small, inexpensive FiiO D03K DAC to take digital output from my TV and present it to my Devialet via analog inputs (or if you're short of inputs on the Devialet you could route it via the Port's analog inputs).  The D03K can often be powered by a USB Type A connector on the TV, which is quite handy.

One thing to bear in mind is that the digital audio output from the TV will need to be set to linear PCM rather than have any processing applied to it.  Also it is often fixed-volume, that's to say it won't be affected by the TV's volume control.

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - dlange - 21-Feb-2021

Excellent, yes that would do the trick! Thanks a lot!

One last question I have, this time solely about the Devialet Expert Pro; does it support automatically switching input sources when it detects input? I.e. if the Devialet Expert Pro was set to Vinyl/Phono In since before, and now I start playing TV sound from the Sonos Port, will it switch input sources? Or do I have to manually switch using the remote?

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - Damon - 22-Feb-2021

@dlange
I'll have to check again, as we switch sources so rarely. But basically, the answer is 'no'. You have to manually change sources, either using the remote, which requires you get up and go look at the display, or else use the app on your phone; you can change sources with that, assuming your Dev is connected to wifi (mine currently is reluctant to say connected to wifi).

That said, it may automatically recognize Devialet AIR, or Airplay, or Spotify Connect. Again, I'll have to check but I don't think it has an auto-recongnize feature.

But whatever @thumb5 says is reliable. Ian knows a lot about these things, and I don't. I usually just shout', Dear, turn the music on!' Seems to work most of the time.

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - dlange - 23-Feb-2021

Went to the local reseller yesterday and bought my very own Expert Pro 220 Smile

Regarding TV we went for the following setup now:
- TV is connected using optical
- BUT for most parts we simply use AirPlay. We mainly watch using Apple TV and hence this was a perfect solution for both volume control, easy connectivity, auto-switching of sources etc

Once I get my Sonos Port, I’m gonna try to connect it using the trigger port and have it as the default input. That should hopefully automate the integration of it into our Sonos room setup Smile

RE: Connect TV and Sonos Port to Devialet Expert Pro - Axel - 23-Feb-2021

(23-Feb-2021, 08:29)dlange Wrote: Went to the local reseller yesterday and bought my very own Expert Pro 220 Smile

Regarding TV we went for the following setup now:
- TV is connected using optical
- BUT for most parts we simply use AirPlay. We mainly watch using Apple TV and hence this was a perfect solution for both volume control, easy connectivity, auto-switching of sources etc

Once I get my Sonos Port, I’m gonna try to connect it using the trigger port and have it as the default input. That should hopefully automate the integration of it into our Sonos room setup Smile

Welcome to the club!  Hope you get many hours of joy from your new setup.