Devialet Chat
My Phantom voyage - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Systems (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Systems)
+--- Thread: My Phantom voyage (/Thread-My-Phantom-voyage)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 22-Dec-2021

Oh, the irony!
This is what I found in the mail under an hour after I wrote about the shortcut Phantom.

Yep, it's the dent puller. Maybe I'll try to pull some dents between night shifts during the holidays. I'll bet the commander and chief will be delighted if I do. The good thing is that I now have two projects waiting!

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 22-Dec-2021

(22-Dec-2021, 22:40)streamy Wrote:
(22-Dec-2021, 22:25)ragwo Wrote: @Jean-Marie
Thanks a lot and a merry Christmas and a happy New year to you too!

Merry Christmas ragwo! Your thread here is so entertaining! And insightful!!
Thanks for this!
Cheers
Streamy

Thanks a million, happy holidays to you too!

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 27-Jan-2022

I've connected my Parks Audio Puffin to a Dialog and suddenly I can listen to records in the den. The only drawback is; the turntable is in the opposite end of the house, making it impossible to listen to the first 30 seconds of every record. Changing sides takes quite a lot of time too. It's good exercise though.

I'm currently switching between a modified SME 309 with silver wiring going straight to the pickup and a SME V with faulty anti skate mechanism that I'm in the process of fixing, waiting for my Technics EPA 100mk2 to return from service. 

RE: My Phantom voyage - Jean-Marie - 27-Jan-2022

Nice!

Maybe with the new firmware where you can tune de latency you can tune it up to 30+ seconds so you have time to rush to you den?

Just kidding Big Grin

Jean-Marie

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 27-Jan-2022

@Jean-Marie
Hahaha!
Actually that's not a bad idea!

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 19-Feb-2022

Still waiting for the EPA-100mk2.

The SME 309 is doing a good job as a temporary tonearm.

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 27-Mar-2022

Huge changes are coming to the den. Two out of three Phantom I 108 dB are sold, the last one is for sale. The reason why; they're almost never used. Maybe every other week at tops. That's a ridiculous amount of wattage and money just sitting there. Three RME ADI-2 AD/DAs and two Onkyo PR-SC5507 preamplifiers are going out the door as well.

I listen to music in the living room and the chief and commander thinks the surround hack is to bothersome to use, so she uses the TV speakers. I'll keep the Phantom Silvers for TV sound and music. After the speakers where Roon RAAT certified, convolution is a splendid way to taylor the sound as I want it when I listen to music in the den, maybe once a month.

That's the good/bad news, over to the fun part. I still have the guts of the Frankenphantom and a donor Silver chassis laying around. Inspired by my spring clean I decided to finish it up and keep it as ragwo's portable(ish) party pack/neighbourhood terrorist.

Getting ready for gluing the dust cap. Still a bit of old glue to remove. 

One side done, one left. 

I didn't make any big effort to remove the dents in the dust caps, as I will keep the speaker, and the resell value is next to nothing as it isn't upgradable to DOS2. As long as they were air tight it was all right.

Of course, I made an half ported vintage Silver, as usual. The quick fix was a bit of Tec7 around the edges of the dust cap. First masking. 

Ready to dry for a day or two. 

So, did the quick and dirty Tec7 trick work? 

Fortunately it did. A 20 hz sine tone and Billie Eilish ridiculously loud confirmed that it's air tight. I even managed to dig out an old moisturizer jar from the attic. Good times!

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 30-Mar-2022

Two out of three Phantom 108 dB's are gone. A bit sad to be honest, even if they did get minimal use. 

The surround Silver's are moved to the the front and a Dialog is connected to the optical output of the TV, making an ugly and very visible optical cable to the right speaker obsolete.
What to do do with the stands for the surround channels? 

Reuse them as two tall and really unpractical coat hangers?

My Phantom voyage - struts - 30-Mar-2022

So are you in the market for a Dione? :-D

Was interested to see you are using a Puffin, I’d be interested in your impressions. Since parting company with my Expert I need a phono stage (and in retrospect I realise how good the Expert phono stage is). This is primarily for use with the bigrig, not the Phantoms which are in a different room and mostly used for background listening.

I’m attracted to the idea of a high quality digital phono (like the one in the Expert), but there aren’t that many options. The M2tech Joplin III caught my eye but there’s nowhere around here I can audition one. Then I started noticing more and more mentions of the Puffin. I thought it looked a bit too cheap to be taken seriously but maybe it’s a giant killer? Did you compare with anything else when you bought it. Happy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 30-Mar-2022

No Dione for me at the moment. The pair of Silvers should be sufficient for watching Despicable Me with the kids in the weekends. As I have an open space to the left of the TV, I wouldn't benefit from the left back channel either, as the reflection point is several meters away.

Regarding the Parks Audio Puffin I chose it over a Gold Note PH-10 with a PSU-10 external power supply. I haven't regretted selling it for a second, even if it costs about six times as much as the Puffin here in Norway. The Puffin's sound quality is excellent in my opinion and the convenience of the fantazillion settings is outstanding. The digital output is a big plus too. As you say, it's quite cheap so it wouldn't be a big financial hit if it doesn't suit you. The second hand value is good, so you won't lose much if you decide to sell it.