Devialet Chat
My Phantom voyage - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Systems (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Systems)
+--- Thread: My Phantom voyage (/Thread-My-Phantom-voyage)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 19-Oct-2021

Déjà vu

RE: My Phantom voyage - Jean-Marie - 19-Oct-2021

I’m holding my breath!

o(* ̄o ̄)o

Jean-Marie

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 20-Oct-2021

The hifi season is definitely on!

@Jean-Marie
Please don't hold your breath, this could definitely take some time.

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 21-Oct-2021

Not exactly hifi, but this is extraordinary!

Heia Glimt!

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 24-Oct-2021

I found some more info about the demo mode in DOS1. 
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Direct-Optical-mode-How-to?pid=78743#pid78743

Seems like it gets way too hot for comfort in demo mode. 
I think I'll try to get hold of an old iPhone to try out the optical direct mode, could be a nice dumb Frankenphantom if I don't get hold of a Dialog with DOS1 installed. Kind of regret selling my spare, unupgraded Dialog a couple of months ago.

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 27-Oct-2021

So, pre dementia is hitting me hard. I've been looking for a Dialog on DOS1 for a few days now and received a good offer from a fellow member on DC. Then I remembered having a spare Dialog which I thought I had updated to DOS2. Well, I hadn't. I must have sold off the updated one a couple of months ago. The Frankenphantom project has grown quite a lot in size, update is coming. The rubber sealing is going to be the easy part. Until next time, enjoy a picture of the forgotten Dialog in action. 

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 27-Oct-2021

Here's what @Jean-Marie hopefully didn't hold his breath for. 

Yep, really exciting! A brown cardboard box. 

Inside a lot of bubble wrap and a bit too much space emerged. 
    Under the bubble wrap you might see what's coming.

A beaten up Phantom Gold! Who would have guessed? 
    I really like the power cord arrangement. I might make it permanent. 

The most important thing when shipping an item is to fill all voids and extra space so the item isn't thrown around inside the box and getting the full force of abusive/normal parcel handling. That's especially important when you send a really heavy and brittle high tech egg half around the globe without the original packaging. If you fail to do so the customer might get this

when he actually ordered this.

The customer could even get a bit cross when the professional packaging is rubbish and next day shipping turns out to be next week shipping. 

So, there you are. In fairness to the seller I did get a partial refund but it did not cover the potential cost of the damage. 

Why did I buy another beaten up Phantom? I presume you've already guessed it, but the plan is not only to gut it for internals and put them in the Frankenphantom, making a working Phantom Gold. I would like to put some more elbow grease into it and see what's actually mendable with a couple of bricks, a spanner and some swearing. I even might buy a dent remover thingy too. The goal is to not make it worse, and that should be achievable when both voice coils for the woofers are hitting the magnets, or is it called motors in English?, and the tweeter is ported DIY style.

Wish me luck, I'm bound to succeed in reaching my goal and fail mending the speaker.

RE: My Phantom voyage - Jean-Marie - 27-Oct-2021

I’m glad I can breathe again!
😮‍💨

But now I get a new reason to hold it again…

I wish you all the possible luck!

Jean-Marie

RE: My Phantom voyage - streamy - 27-Oct-2021

I also wish you good luck! Your new hobby might make you ‘the!’ Phantom doctor! Devialet might to hire you to fix the xxxx Phantoms returned with the evelate program. Maybe as consultantSmile Great entertainment you do for us, as Phantoms are not repairable, environment thanks. You have all my respect!

RE: My Phantom voyage - ragwo - 28-Oct-2021

@streamy and @Jean-Marie Thanks a lot!
An update is in place, and I started with the easy part, the gutting of the banged up Phantom. Using the original packaging makes the opening process a lot easier. 

There are some noticeable differences between the Phantom Gold and first generation Silver, even for a guy like me who finds it hard to tell the difference between a capacitor and transistor. The metal cover is matte and perforated in the Silver and polished without perforation in the Gold. It seems like Devialet considered another metal cover in the first version but skipped it.

The Sliver has four transistors? Gold has six. 

I should have compared the wireless network cards while at it, but I forgot at the time. Maybe next time the PCBs are out in the open.