Devialet Chat
Routers for AIR Ethernet - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Routers for AIR Ethernet (/Thread-Routers-for-AIR-Ethernet)

Routers for AIR Ethernet - Confused - 07-Feb-2015

My router has just packed up.  It is nothing more than the standard item that comes with Virgin broadband.  I use AIR Ethernet, and it strikes me that it might be an idea to buy a better quality router?  I have had one or two issues both with AIR and wifi, and then the router, which is only three months old, has packed up completely.  Hence I'm thinking something a bit better quality might be a good idea.  Any suggestions?  Needs to be 5G and cable compatible.

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - GuillaumeB - 07-Feb-2015

(07-Feb-2015, 15:49)Confused Wrote: My router has just packed up.  It is nothing more than the standard item that comes with Virgin broadband.  I use AIR Ethernet, and it strikes me that it might be an idea to buy a better quality router?  I have had one or two issues both with AIR and wifi, and then the router, which is only three months old, has packed up completely.  Hence I'm thinking something a bit better quality might be a good idea.  Any suggestions?  Needs to be 5G and cable compatible.

I recommend a Draytek Vigor2860, I think it comes in a number of versions giving you 2.4 and 5 GHz.

As far as I understand it's one of the best out there and works really well with UPnP for instance.

I run my wired ethernet network through it - so from NAS to Draytek to switch to totaldac. It sits in my study which is adjacent to my listening room. I previously had the standard BT Hub thing which was very flaky and actually after putting the Draytek in I noticed an improvement in SQ.

Guillaume

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - Jwg1749 - 07-Feb-2015

I've also just switched from the standard BT to a Draytek Vigor (the 2760). They have a very good reputation in the trade. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's improved the sound of my system though ... 
Angel
Matt

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - GuillaumeB - 07-Feb-2015

(07-Feb-2015, 16:47)Jwg1749 Wrote: I've also just switched from the standard BT to a Draytek Vigor (the 2760). They have a very good reputation in the trade. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's improved the sound of my system though ... 
Angel
Matt

Right... (Matt to self: they're blooming bonkers that lot!)

Guillaume

Routers for AIR Ethernet - amabrok - 07-Feb-2015

I use the Linksys AC1900 and it works perfectly well with Air WiFi and offers plethora of other functions / features including 2.4 and 5 GHz and acting as a UPnP and media server

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - Confused - 07-Feb-2015

Am I correct thinking that I'll still need to use the Virgin Media supplied router as a modem for the cable internet feed?

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - Rufus McDufus - 07-Feb-2015

Confused - yes you would. Most modem/routers will have the capability to hook into a separate modem such as Virgin Media's. I got a TP-Link modem/router to do exactly this because the Virgin-supplied cable modem/router didn't have very good wi-fi and the capabilities weren't very sophisticated.

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - Axel - 08-Feb-2015

I also have Virgin broadband with their Superhub configured to use an external router which is an Apple AirPort Extreme which works at 5 and 2.4 GHz and sounds nice to my ears.

RE: Routers for AIR Ethernet - Jwg1749 - 08-Feb-2015

(07-Feb-2015, 16:50)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Feb-2015, 16:47)Jwg1749 Wrote: I've also just switched from the standard BT to a Draytek Vigor (the 2760). They have a very good reputation in the trade. I wouldn't go so far as to claim it's improved the sound of my system though ... 
Angel
Matt

Right... (Matt to self: they're blooming bonkers that lot!)

Guillaume

Sir, you have a wonderful way with words.
Cool