Devialet Chat
Devialet 200 DAC guidance - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet D-Premier, Expert 120/200/250, Expert 140/220/250 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-D-Premier-Expert-120-200-250-Expert-140-220-250-Pro)
+--- Thread: Devialet 200 DAC guidance (/Thread-Devialet-200-DAC-guidance)

Devialet 200 DAC guidance - Womaz - 18-Nov-2021

Hi Guys it is good to see this forum is still ticking over. I often come back on here to have a look at some of the posts, although I so not really contribute any more. I still have my original Expert 200. I did not upgrade to the Pro as I sort of spat my dummy out with Devialet and did not want to give them any more of my cash, but I still love my amp.

So after a recent change to my headphone set up it sort of got me wondering , how good is the DAC in the 200?

How many of you have a separate DAC that you use with your Devialet, and if you do did you notice significant improvements? I am considering this as in my headphone system going to a separate DAC has yielded big improvements.

Any guidance as always greatly appreciated.

RE: Devialet 200 DAC guidance - ogs - 18-Nov-2021

Hi @Womaz
you must keep in mind that the DAC in Devialet amps can't be bypassed and is part of ADH, the heart of the design. All input to the amp goes via ADH and an analog signal will pass through an AD converter in addition. I'm not saying you may not like/prefer the sound from a separate DAC connected to line in on your amp, but the signal will have an extra AD-DA conversion.

RE: Devialet 200 DAC guidance - Womaz - 18-Nov-2021

(18-Nov-2021, 11:29)ogs Wrote: Hi @Womaz
you must keep in mind that the DAC in Devialet amps can't be bypassed and is part of ADH, the heart of the design. All input to the amp goes via ADH and an analog signal will pass through an AD converter in addition. I'm not saying you may not like/prefer the sound from a separate DAC connected to line in on your amp, but the signal will have an extra AD-DA conversion.

I get you , I think I understand. So a different DAC may have less impact than it could have in a non Devialet set up.

RE: Devialet 200 DAC guidance - ogs - 18-Nov-2021

(18-Nov-2021, 13:24)Womaz Wrote: So a different DAC may have less impact than it could have in a non Devialet set up.

True, the DAC in the Devialet is still part of the sound. Using line in will re-digitize the signal too. The AD-DA chain in the Devialet is quite neutral and transparent, but it will of course affect the sound. How much? You'll have to try it to find out..

(18-Nov-2021, 14:15)ogs Wrote:
(18-Nov-2021, 13:24)Womaz Wrote: So a different DAC may have less impact than it could have in a non Devialet set up.

True, the DAC in the Devialet is still part of the sound. Using line in will re-digitize the signal too. The AD-DA chain in the Devialet is quite neutral and transparent, but it will of course affect the sound. How much? You'll have to try it to find out..

I might not even bother now as I doubt I will hear that much of a differnce.
In my Headphone set up it is really improving things but that could be because my HP Amp has a relatively poor DAC. I can imagine the Devialet DAC is good as the amp itself sounds excellent to me. Thanks for your input.

RE: Devialet 200 DAC guidance - Pim - 18-Nov-2021

It looks like you have a DAC already so why not just try and let your ears decide? Technically it can’t get ‘better’ but that doesn’t mean you won’t like the sound more.

(18-Nov-2021, 21:15)Pim Wrote: It looks like you have a DAC already so why not just try and let your ears decide? Technically it can’t get ‘better’ but that doesn’t mean you won’t like the sound more.

I may do this but it’s in a different room so a bit of hassle ………maybe if I am intrigued enough I will