Devialet Chat
Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Systems (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Systems)
+--- Thread: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert (/Thread-Concrete-Beryllium-speakers-powered-by-Devialet-Expert)

Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Nickname - 08-May-2022

Hello there,

I am new in the forum but have been in the Devialet eco-system for a while now.
I have got the chance to work for a bit more than 5 years in the company and I want to share my sweet system here :

A pair of 2-way speakers, seald enclosure, powered by the DEVIALET Expert 200.
It is the result of an inside "weekends and nights" project driven by a team of friends working in accoustic, mechanical and design from the beginning of Devialet's story. One of the best features is having a dedicated SAM profile for them.

Drivers are SCANSPEAK Illuminator with Beyllium tweeters and also SCANSPEAK Illuminator midwoofers.
I have been enjoying this setup for about 5 years now Heart

What do you think of it ?

I hope pictures will load here. Let me know if you cannot see them.

RE: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Jean-Marie - 09-May-2022

As you can see from my own signature, I like two way designs for their simplicity and coherence.

Yours must sound very good, especially because of their sealed design and I the complete inertia of their concrete cabinet.
How much are they weighting?
Can you share more information about the cross over and the cutting frequency between the two drivers?

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

RE: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Axel - 09-May-2022

Strange. That looks like a 250 to me, but with a remote from the lower tiers. Are you driving the speakers in parallel mode?

RE: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Nickname - 09-May-2022

(09-May-2022, 08:05)Jean-Marie Wrote: As you can see from my own signature, I like two way designs for their simplicity and coherence.

Yours must sound very good, especially because of their sealed design and I the complete inertia of their concrete cabinet.
Can you share more information about the cross over and the cutting frequency between the two drivers?

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

Thanks for your interest Jean-Marie

Each speaker weigh about 20Kg, which is really stable Heart . I cannot measure weigh impact on sound quality but there is no perceptible resonnance even at a high level.

Crossover is centered on 350 Hz to keep bass very clean and profit the max of beryllium illuminator.
It was challenging to install filters in the cabinet, because the only left entry was threw the woofer hole, which is not so big.
So I ended arranging components in "stand up" mode Big Grin

RE: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Nickname - 09-May-2022

(09-May-2022, 08:26)Axel Wrote: Strange. That looks like a 250 to me, but with a remote from the lower tiers. Are you driving the speakers in parallel mode?

Axel, you are right Wink 250. I am using here the remote from my Expert 120. Remotes have a different design and mechanism but they are totally compatible. I like the flat remote.

I am just running a pair of speakers and the other pair have just been completed (after camping few years in my appartment). I might probably sell it.

RE: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Jean-Marie - 09-May-2022

(09-May-2022, 17:12)Nickname Wrote:
(09-May-2022, 08:05)Jean-Marie Wrote: As you can see from my own signature, I like two way designs for their simplicity and coherence.

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

Thanks for your interest Jean-Marie

Each speaker weigh about 20Kg, which is really stable Heart . I cannot measure weigh impact on sound quality but there is no perceptible resonnance even at a high level.

Crossover is centered on 350 Hz to keep bass very clean and profit the max of beryllium illuminator.
It was challenging to install filters in the cabinet, because the only left entry was threw the woofer hole, which is not so big.
So I ended arranging components in "stand up" mode Big Grin

Thanks for sharing all this. 

I’m definitely not a speaker designer, not even in DYI mode, therefore I’m probably speaking outside of my comfort zone and into my incompetence area. 

However, looking at the response curves you shared I cannot stop wondering about the reason why you selected to cross over so low in a region where the beryllium tweeter appears to be more than 7dB below its flat zone which seems to start around 800Hz while the woofer does not seem to exhibit any accident before 1000Hz?

Was it to avoid the transition to happen in the 300 to 3k Hz band where our hearing is the most sensitive, or was this because of other considerations not visible in a simple graph?

Thanks a lot,
Jean-Marie

RE: Concrete & Beryllium speakers powered by Devialet Expert - Nickname - 10-May-2022

[/quote]

However, looking at the response curves you shared I cannot stop wondering about the reason why you selected to cross over so low in a region where the beryllium tweeter appears to be more than 7dB below its flat zone which seems to start around 800Hz while the woofer does not seem to exhibit any accident before 1000Hz?

Was it to avoid the transition to happen in the 300 to 3k Hz band where our hearing is the most sensitive, or was this because of other considerations not visible in a simple graph?

Thanks a lot,
Jean-Marie
[/quote]

Good question Jean-Marie,

I did wonder also, replying here.
It is a long time theses speakers has been made. I should probably ask the accoustic engineers involved in the project to better understand this choice. I was quite new in the audio world at that moment and I did follow without getting everything.

Let me get back to you after some verification.