Devialet Chat
Antipodes DXe (DV) - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Antipodes DXe (DV) (/Thread-Antipodes-DXe-DV)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Antipodes DXe (DV) - samsoum - 04-Oct-2017

Thks David A, AaronG, both of you seem happy with antipode servers, and what i understand is there s slightly better sound either from usb out or Roon/Air of the antipodes.
More over , the convenience of take out of the chain the mac .
In my case im not "so" bothered by having the macbook open, and sound quality is really good.
I m from a group of audiophiles who will spend a lot for a big difference.( fed up from upgrading to get slight improvement).
I m following all forums discussions about antipodes, ultrarendu, sms 200 ultra, dcs nb,....... none of them really stated a big nice difference in sound comparing to roo/air.
The only huge step up in sound is from mutec +usb + ref10 clock.
I m not fan of many boxes , so i will wait and see.
Thks. A lot for the honnest feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Antipodes DXe (DV) - AaronG - 04-Oct-2017

I actually did find a huge step up in sound from the Mac. Really huge. But, the Mutec is a lot cheaper and might accomplish the same goal.

(04-Oct-2017, 08:20)samsoum Wrote: Thks David A, AaronG, both of you seem happy with antipode servers, and what i understand is there s slightly better sound either from usb out or Roon/Air of the antipodes.
More over , the convenience of take out of the chain the mac .
In my case im not "so" bothered by having the macbook open, and sound quality is really good.
I m from a group of audiophiles who will spend a lot for a big difference.( fed up from upgrading to get slight improvement).
I m following all forums discussions about antipodes, ultrarendu, sms 200 ultra, dcs nb,....... none of them really stated a big nice difference in sound comparing to roo/air.
The only huge step up in sound is from mutec +usb + ref10 clock.
I m not fan of many boxes , so i will wait and see.
Thks. A lot for the honnest feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Antipodes DXe (DV) - Confused - 04-Oct-2017

(03-Oct-2017, 21:26)David A Wrote: Then I got the Antipodes. I tried both roon/air and the Antipodes roon ready USB connections from the Antipodes and feel that roon ready/USB sounds slightly better than roon/air over ethernet. Both sound very good but I think that USB is slightly better than what I get using roon/air over ethernet and that agrees with comments I've seen from Antipodes themselves. I haven't tried any tweaks on the USB connection and I wasn't using any high end USB cables with roon/air, just ordinary computer Cat 6 and 6A cabling. I don't know if I could have tweaked the ethernet connection to do better than the USB connection.

Have you tried the Antipodes via S/PDIF versus USB?

RE: Antipodes DXe (DV) - David A - 04-Oct-2017

(04-Oct-2017, 13:29)Confused Wrote:
(03-Oct-2017, 21:26)David A Wrote: Then I got the Antipodes. I tried both roon/air and the Antipodes roon ready USB connections from the Antipodes and feel that roon ready/USB sounds slightly better than roon/air over ethernet. Both sound very good but I think that USB is slightly better than what I get using roon/air over ethernet and that agrees with comments I've seen from Antipodes themselves. I haven't tried any tweaks on the USB connection and I wasn't using any high end USB cables with roon/air, just ordinary computer Cat 6 and 6A cabling. I don't know if I could have tweaked the ethernet connection to do better than the USB connection.

No.

RE: Antipodes DXe (DV) - AaronG - 04-Oct-2017

Not to the Devialet. I have run it via S/PDIF to the Grimm -- which is also uses a USB-preferred digital amplifier. It sounded very good, but no better as far as I could tell.

RE: Antipodes DXe (DV) - Confused - 05-Oct-2017

(04-Oct-2017, 22:38)AaronG Wrote: Not to the Devialet. I have run it via S/PDIF to the Grimm -- which is also uses a USB-preferred digital amplifier. It sounded very good, but no better as far as I could tell.

The Grimm might be a 'USB Preferred' amplifier, but I am not sure the Devialet is?  Although to be clear, USB and S/PDIF do work differently so the comparison will be very product / system specific.  With asynchronous USB the Devialet's clock governs, with S/PDIF the Devialet will extract the clock from the Antipodes.  So if the S/PDIF clock in the Antipodes is a good one, this may produce the best result, as well as avoiding the 'leakage loop' and isolation type issues that USB can suffer from.  If the S/PDIF clock in the Antipodes is mediocre, then USB could be much better.  This is a bit of a generalisation, I guess I am just saying that it might be worth giving S/PDIF a try.