Devialet Chat
Devialet and USB cables - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: Devialet and USB cables (/Thread-Devialet-and-USB-cables)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Devialet and USB cables - moreno1973 - 27-May-2014

Hello guys

What are Your opinions about USB cables and Devialet? Did You tried any expensive models?

I have a simple no name USB cable that I received as a package when I bought some DAC three years ago. This cable works very well with my Devialet nad laptop. I tried very expensive model of Transparent Premium USB and I preferred my stock USB cable because of sound openess.
But today I tried Audioquest Diamond and this is first cable that made me thinking;-)
Do You have any experiences with Diamond? Any opinions?

RE: Devialet and USB cables - GuillaumeB - 28-May-2014

(27-May-2014, 23:53)moreno1973 Wrote: Hello guys

What are Your opinions about USB cables and Devialet? Did You tried any expensive models?

I have a simple no name USB cable that I received as a package when I bought some DAC three years ago. This cable works very well with my Devialet nad laptop. I tried very expensive model of Transparent Premium USB and I preferred my stock USB cable because of sound openess.
But today I tried Audioquest Diamond and this is first cable that made me thinking;-)
Do You have any experiences with Diamond? Any opinions?

My only experience with USB was using a Transparent Performance cable which isn't an expensive model compared to some! It sounded pretty good to me, I think at the time I thought it was pretty close to streaming via my UPnP setup (Moon MiND 180 connected to NAS via ethernet network).

In the latest issue of Hifi News (July) there's a group test of USB cables from £10-£999. Interestingly the Audioquest Forest USB which costs £35/1.5M scores the same (80) as the new Light Harmonic Lightspeed USB (80) which costs £999/1.6M. The winners are Nordost Blue Heaven USB 2.0 which scores 83 and costs £265/2M and Chord's Signature Tuned Aray which scores 85 and costs £400/1M.

Regarding the Audioquest Diamond with DBS I can well believe it! More on this later! Wink

Guillaume

RE: Devialet and USB cables - Antoine - 28-May-2014

Haven't tested yet myself but am also very curious as to what everyone is using/has tested. I myself have my eyes on the Audioquest and Nordost USB cables (they've recently released the Heimdall 2 USB cable BTW). Also interesting to me are the iFi Audio Micro iUSBPower product (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/) as it can isolate grounds and provide clean USB power and their Gemini 'two headed' USB cable which splits power and signal (http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-gemini/).

Does anyone yet if the Devialet's USB input needs the power pins connected?

(PS: I checked USB2.0 cannot yet be galvanically isolated in full there are simply no devices/chipsets etc. available for that purpose. The ethernet input of the Devialet is isolated by the TDK chip on the board)

RE: Devialet and USB cables - Bill - 28-May-2014

Chord silver screen for me. If you read that Hifi News review they actually concede that they prefer it anyway. It is fairly cheap too!

RE: Devialet and USB cables - Hermanh - 13-Jun-2014

I'm using the audioquest diamond.
I'm very happy with it. Added detail, soundstage and clearer sound.
It's clearly better than a standard cable.

RE: Devialet and USB cables - Antoine - 21-Jun-2014

(28-May-2014, 15:49)Antoine Wrote: <cut>

Does anyone yet if the Devialet's USB input needs the power pins connected?

<cut>

I can answer my own question since I've tested it using my new motherboard for which you can configure to cut the power in USB. The Devialet needs the USB ground active. It can do without an active +5V power from the source.

RE: Devialet and USB cables - AaronG - 16-Feb-2015

Wow, just got my Totaldac USB cable. Surprised by how immediate and noticeable the difference was. Will blind test it with some friends, but at first listen it seemed to cut out a lot of glare/high frequency hardness and to make individual musical lines much more prominent. Listening to the astonishing new version of Nozze by Currentzis with great delight. Then on to Coltrane Live at the VV.

RE: Devialet and USB cables - Rufus McDufus - 16-Feb-2015

Nice. I've been seriously tempted by the Totaldac USB cable but I'm still umming and aahing over a source so not sure what to go with, and already have a very nice SPDIF cable which I ought to use somehow!

RE: Devialet and USB cables - AaronG - 16-Feb-2015

I'm a cable skeptic mostly, especially speaker cables which I think are often a bizarre impedance matching racket. But I do think there's reasons to think that jitter effects sound, and my ears seem to agree! But yeah definitely hold off if you aren't sure about USB!

RE: Devialet and USB cables - Tatomek - 18-Feb-2015

I've checked Tellurium Black Diamond, JCat, Synergestic Research Active, Audioquest Diamond, Entreq Konstantin with Minimus and Silver Ertha, which was very similar to Totaldac, which is my choice. AQ is good, but Totaldac is better. SR is also worth to try, it is fast, bright cable with great sounstage. Totaldac connects Auralic Aries with Devialet.