Devialet Chat
A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? (/Thread-A-lot-of-hot-AIR-from-Devialet)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - f1eng - 24-Mar-2015

(23-Mar-2015, 05:57)colonel66 Wrote:
(23-Mar-2015, 00:47)IanG-UK Wrote:
(23-Mar-2015, 00:19)Damon Wrote: Thanks IanG-UK,
I really appreciate that you did not take my post as diminishing the problem or the experiences of the users in any way. It is interesting that you note the problem occurs even with 16/ 44.1 files. One of the points I made in my post was to mention my file size, as it seemed that the noise seemed to be a factor on higher res. files. So, good clarification on that point.

On the Expert line vs Phantom / Dialogue / Spark distinction, I was thinking that the issues with the Phantoms may be specific to the new equipment, and possibly new software. A flaw in the AIR system, whether hardware or software, should not be shelved while they fuss with the new toys.

Finally, I would add that one of the reasons I abandoned Naim was the relentless fallibility of the app and UPnP streaming... (well, the sound quality difference made the change inevitable). I can't tell you how pleased I am with the stability I've experienced with the D120. After the Naim streaming grief, I do have genuine sympathy for the issues you are experiencing. Gawd, the swearing was incredible.....

I quite agree with you on the Expert v Phantom shortcomings. They have got neither right, and I am surprised they launched a flawed product without managing an existing one.

As I said in my original post, it's rather like BMW failing to fix an expensive 7 series fault for 8 months and then deciding it is more important to fix a newly launched cheap Mini fault when the wheels fall off.

Unrelated, but your Naim experience may have some vague connection with recent posts here on the new Melco products. Apparently Alan Ainslee has helped develop the new and highly rated Melco products (see a long thread on this started by Guillaume, who has tried many of the leading products)  and was with Naim, probably before their streaming development stalled. Maybe Devialet should recruit him!

Hi Ian

Strangely when i updated to Yosemite and then latest Devialet firmware etc last year,  i started to experience problems with AIR over Ethernet - i had just sold my last squeezebox - which at the time i regretted. I am still not sure what the exact definition of white noise is but my experience is that the track momentarily becomes garbled/static type of sound for a second and then resumes. this could happen multiple times per album

I logged a report and got the typical "we are working on it  reply". Followed up with support a few times and got the same response

This calendar year we have a concept called "load shedding" in SA - basically the power utility can't produce enough to supply electricity to all at times so the cut off supply to predetermined areas for a couple of hours or so. When the power comes back there is a big risk of a power surge -so i now unplug my devialet's and other hi fi equipment  from the wall socket when not in use

strangely enough, i have now found AIR/Ethernet to be remarkbly stable - i listen to mostly 44.1 but have a smattering of higher res. - 

i would not say it is entirely gone - now and again it will raise its head but this is perhaps one out of ten albums and only once per album then. 

clearly it is not practical to unplug like i have to and possibly its coincidental but bring on your survey and i am will respond

ps thanks for all the hard work and frustration in the background of devialet's engineering dept

Interesting that you get fewer problems and unplug your amps. As a matter of course I switch everything in the house off at the mains every night, and don't switch on until I am going to listen. I have not had white noise ever and few dropouts.

The white noise problem was first reported by Windows users and it was a considerable time before a Mac user reported it. I thought it must have been due to an Apple software change at the time. 
Because of previous experience with software updates needing early debugging has not been favourable I don't update immediately, and in the case of my music iMac I am still on Mavericks.

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - PhilP - 24-Mar-2015

(24-Mar-2015, 15:30)f1eng Wrote: Interesting that you get fewer problems and unplug your amps. As a matter of course I switch everything in the house off at the mains every night, and don't switch on until I am going to listen. I have not had white noise ever and few dropouts.

The white noise problem was first reported by Windows users and it was a considerable time before a Mac user reported it. I thought it must have been due to an Apple software change at the time. 
Because of previous experience with software updates needing early debugging has not been favourable I don't update immediately, and in the case of my music iMac I am still on Mavericks.

Interestingly, I also switch off my amp regularly (almost daily) and have no problems with AIR.  Huh

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - Womaz - 24-Mar-2015

I switch my amp off every time I am not using it and do have the problem........I dont think there is a pattern to the AIR issues. Its across a broad range of users by all accounts

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - IanG-UK - 24-Mar-2015

(24-Mar-2015, 16:12)PhilP Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 15:30)f1eng Wrote: Interesting that you get fewer problems and unplug your amps. As a matter of course I switch everything in the house off at the mains every night, and don't switch on until I am going to listen. I have not had white noise ever and few dropouts.

Interestingly, I also switch off my amp regularly (almost daily) and have no problems with AIR.  Huh

This is almost certainly a contributory factor but not prime. My amps were off (at the mains) for days, and before repowering I took the PS Adio PPPs out. Result: No white noise for just about the whole day. So much so that I thought the PPPs had been the cause (rather illogical I admit).

White noise re-emerged eventually. The contribution to minimal noise was the prolonged powering down, not the PPPs.

My analogy is a bath which fills up (faster with hi-res) and overflows ( = noise ). (And probably takes a long time to empty entirely.) Stop the music and start a minute later using 16/44.1 and there is no noise for quite a while. Start using hi-res and it is back quickly.

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - Womaz - 24-Mar-2015

(24-Mar-2015, 17:46)IanG-UK Wrote:

This is almost certainly a contributory factor but not prime. My amps were off (at the mains) for days, and before repowering I took the PS Adio PPPs out. Result: No white noise for just about the whole day. So much so that I thought the PPPs had been the cause (rather illogical I admit).

White noise re-emerged eventually. The contribution to minimal noise was the prolonged powering down, not the PPPs.

My analogy is a bath which fills up (faster with hi-res) and overflows ( = noise ). (And probably takes a long time to empty entirely.) Stop the music and start a minute later using 16/44.1 and there is no noise for quite a while. Start using hi-res and it is back quickly.

In my short period of use I have started to think maybe the heat off the 200 may contribute in some way as the longer it is on the hotter it gets, and the white noise is never immediate. Its always at least an hour or two into listening. Wondering if some feet to raise the Devialet a little more off the rack could help........or maybe I am clutching

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - Sobert - 24-Mar-2015

I'm using cabled ethernet. I do not get white noise often, but it happens playing 96 or 192 khz from time to time. Sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones, as some gets it all the time. Restarting the amp or restarting the application in windows solves it (can it be a out of sync problem between the amp and pc?). Thinking about it used to be more often a couple of months ago, and the only thing done is windows updates on the pc and one foobar2000 update to the latest version.

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - hk6230 - 25-Mar-2015

(24-Mar-2015, 17:56)Womaz Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 17:46)IanG-UK Wrote:

In my short period of use I have started to think maybe the heat off the 200 may contribute in some way as the longer it is on the hotter it gets, and the white noise is never immediate. Its always at least an hour or two into listening. Wondering if some feet to raise the Devialet a little more off the rack could help........or maybe I am clutching

I agreed with Ian. It's very likely to do with the buffering. I'm almost certain that white noises/dropouts appeared when I played 24-bits files, which required more data buffering. For 16/44.1 files, I will only experience dropout once in a while, but always recoverable. Yesterday, I had an experience where only one particular music file is causing white noises. From the same music app, playing all other songs, there is no issue, only that particular song.

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - IanG-UK - 25-Mar-2015

(25-Mar-2015, 02:25)hk6230 Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 17:46)IanG-UK Wrote: This is almost certainly a contributory factor but not prime. My amps were off (at the mains) for days, and before repowering I took the PS Adio PPPs out. Result: No white noise for just about the whole day. So much so that I thought the PPPs had been the cause (rather illogical I admit).

I agreed with Ian. It's very likely to do with the buffering. I'm almost certain that white noises/dropouts appeared when I played 24-bits files, which required more data buffering. For 16/44.1 files, I will only experience dropout once in a while, but always recoverable. Yesterday, I had an experience where only one particular music file is causing white noises. From the same music app, playing all other songs, there is no issue, only that particular song.

Thank you!

My regret is that Devialet has probably known this for many months and could have said so, thus saving lots of time for less well informed people like me and others, who have misguidedly been trying to help them.

Everyone makes mistakes and most people are understanding about that. Compounding that, by failing to communicate, simply removes that tolerance, especially when it goes on for months.

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - Womaz - 25-Mar-2015

Well the bath filled up very quickly for me today, 15 minutes into listening.
I have also noticed and again it may be a coincidence, but when you skip tracks it cits out quicker than if you stick a full album on.

RE: A lot of hot AIR from Devialet? - iamwappie - 25-Mar-2015

Just started using AIR since yesterday. All issues reported withhold me from trying it.
- Installed the software on my laptop (Windows 7)
- configured output to the Devialet soundcard in WinAMP
- dragged files from my NAS into the media library. When playing the files are retrieved over WiFi from my NAS and then send via WiFi to the Devialet
- Devialet connected via ethernet
- Configured 100ms buffer and 24/192 default setting in Devialet software

Streaming works fine even when also streaming a HD movie also stored on my NAS. Synology 412+ NAS and NetGear WNDR 3700 wifi routers.

I must be very lucky not to have any problems. And what a difference over the tweaked Squeezebox I used. Missing the squeezebox app interface though (iPeng). Had a quick look at JRiver but can't seem to find out how to control Qobuz from there. Must be possible right? Any tips? Is XBMC better for Qobuz?