Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet RS232 Control Utility
Information 
I have written a small experimental GUI application to control my Devialet 120, using VS2013 Express on a MacMini running 64-bit Win8.1 (trying to insert as attachment here...)

It seems there is little or no interest in RS232 control, which surprises me because unless Devialet reveal their TCP/IP Command format, it's the only avenue for automatically switching between Inputs when the amp is part of an A/V setup.

It also ends my frustration at not being able to see the amp's display from my sofa.

If anyone is interested in trying it, I'd appreciate advice on where to put the executable. I don't normally write Windows software, I'm an embedded software engineer by trade. Note that you'll have to make up a 3.5mm connector as indicated in Devialet's RS232 PDF instructions, and probably buy a USB-to-Serial adapter too.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(20-Aug-2014, 19:22)JohnnySix Wrote: I have written a small experimental GUI application to control my Devialet 120, using VS2013 Express on a MacMini running 64-bit Win8.1 (trying to insert as attachment here...)

It seems there is little or no interest in RS232 control, which surprises me because unless Devialet reveal their TCP/IP Command format, it's the only avenue for automatically switching between Inputs when the amp is part of an A/V setup.

It also ends my frustration at not being able to see the amp's display from my sofa.

If anyone is interested in trying it, I'd appreciate advice on where to put the executable. I don't normally write Windows software, I'm an embedded software engineer by trade. Note that you'll have to make up a 3.5mm connector as indicated in Devialet's RS232 PDF instructions, and probably buy a USB-to-Serial adapter too.

You Sir, deserve a medal. I actually wrote Devialet to ask for serial over IP.
Why don't you send Devialet a mail with a link to the software in Dropbox ?
Did you try to use Gobal Caché Tcp to serial please ?
I was not aware of the Global Cache products, they look really interesting for long distance remote control. I'm fortunate to have my MacMini sitting in my HiFi rack, next to the Devialet, connected to my main TV where I browse & play my music via JRiver Media Center.

So I don't need any TCP-to-RS232 converters as I can connect them directly via serial cable.

I take it then that I cannot just attach my Program to one of these posts, just like attaching a picture?
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Okay... I realise there won't be many takers, but here it is anyway.
To re-iterate, it's for those who have a Windows Media Center PC connected to their Devialet via RS232, and are able to have this Utility in a corner of their TV screen.
For me it's a magnified replacement for the Devialet display hidden in my rack, rather than a replacement for the remote control, as it will show changes you make via the RF remote.

Even if you can be bothered, there are some things to bear in mind because this early version is not User-configurable:
- Computer's serial port must be COM3
- Must have "Auto Change Notification" ticked under RS232 settings in Configurator
- Should run on Win7/8 32/64 bit machines, but may need .NET v4.0 as well.
- Tested with my (paltry) base model D120, so doesn't have all the higher features.

Updated Screenshot (better GUI):

Windows Executable:
On my OneDrive, here
(19-Dec-2014, 00:16)JohnnySix Wrote: Okay... I realise there won't be many takers, but here it is anyway.
To re-iterate, it's for those who have a Windows Media Center PC attached to their Devialet, and are able to have this Utility it in a corner of their TV screen... provided they have an RS232 connectoin between the Devialet and their computer(!)
For me it's primarily a replacement for the Devialet display hidden in my rack, rather than a replacement for the remote control, as it will show changes you make via the RF remote.

Even if you can be bothered, there are some things to bear in mind because this early version is not User-configurable:
- Computer's serial port must be COM3
- Must have "Auto Change Notification" ticked under RS232 settings in Configurator
- Should run on Win7/8 32/64 bit machines, but may need .NET v4.0 as well.
- Tested with my (paltry) base model D120, so doesn't have all the higher features.

Screenshot:

Windows Executable:
On my OneDrive, here

(haven't done such File sharing before on a Forum... may need more than one attempt to get it right!)

Well... I am in no need for this at this point in time, but there is no doubt that this is a job well done!!!

thanks for sharing, and i am sure some members here will find a utility for your coding efforts. thanks
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Nice work!
(20-Aug-2014, 19:22)JohnnySix Wrote: I have written a small experimental GUI application to control my Devialet 120, using VS2013 Express on a MacMini running 64-bit Win8.1 (trying to insert as attachment here...)

Hi Johnny,

I will start fiddling with the r232 coming weekend.

In order to prepare for it I took a look at the official r232 documentation and noticed that the USB port is not explicitly mentioned in the source commands section.

So I am suspecting that it is one of the digital sources. Do you happen to know which source in the r232 PDF corresponds to the USB port at the Devialet?
'RS232' is not one of the amp's sources, it is an independent comms port in the back that can receive commands no matter which source you are listening to. It can even receive a turn-on command whilst in Standby. The USB input of the Devialet is not involved at all; any mention of USB here relates to the USB port of a Windows computer into which you will plug the special USB-to-Serial cable.
(Pardon me if I misunderstood your problem)
(11-Jan-2017, 13:56)JohnnySix Wrote: 'RS232' is not one of the amp's sources, it is an independent comms port in the back that can receive commands no matter which source you are listening to. It can even receive a turn-on command whilst in Standby. The USB input of the Devialet is not involved at all; any mention of USB here relates to the USB port of a Windows computer into which you will plug the special USB-to-Serial cable.

Hmm, maybe there is a misunderstanding.

I just bought myself a global cache IP2SL iTach device which allows me to send serial commands to the Devialet via IP.

As my digital music library is located on a NUC, my NUC is connected with Devialet via USB.

So I need to send a serial command to devialet that will switch the input to USB.

My problem is, that I do not know which serial command is the right one for switching input to USB, as the official PDF has every source listed except USB
OK, I'm with you. I believe you just substitute those example source names with "USB".
If I remember rightly, it would be something like
[Devialet>SOURCE:USB]