Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Townshend Platforms
Just ordered some Townshend platforms for my Grimm speakers. They have been a pleasure to deal with so far. Will report back!
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Aaron

Max Townshend is a real gentleman and very clever, either of his own volition or in sourcing capable people.

Guillaume and I heard his "all Townshend" set up at the HiFi News show in 2014 and thought is was best at the show, competing with Absolute Sounds and Kog and others.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I'm glad to hear that. They really seem to know what they're doing.

I contacted them to order a platform and they volunteered to custom make one to the dimensions of the speaker for less than the "off the rack" platform. That's my kind of company.

(28-Apr-2016, 18:27)IanG-UK Wrote: Aaron

Max Townshend is a real gentleman and very clever, either of his own volition or in sourcing capable people.

Guillaume and I heard his "all Townshend" set up at the HiFi News show in 2014 and thought is was best at the show, competing with Absolute Sounds and Kog and others.

Since two weeks I have the Townshend podiums under my Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers. There is more air around instruments and room and floor induced bass has significantly reduced. A great upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
QNAP 653 - MacMini - Roon - AIR 3b - Meicord UTP cables - D400 - Graditech Voima 1- Nordost Heimdall 2 - Harbeth Super HL5 Plus on Townshend Seismic Podiums
Glad to hear it Thiem!

Hi Aaron,
Just curious how you ended up liking the platforms.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
Same here.

Do they offer an evaluation period?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

They do. Give them a call or shoot an email
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
To my great surprise they were a total pain to deal with! Took my $ upfront for a pair of custom platforms (their suggestion). Promised several times they would be ready in a few days, and then no email responses for weeks. Really ridiculous.

When I finally got them they didn't quite fit the speakers. I contacted them and they said that it was fine if the speaker bases went beyond the platforms but when I tested their bass isolation it certainly was not as good as I had expected. I could hear bass in the basement when the speakers were on the stands on the first floor, which was not what I had had hoped.

I'm sure I could send them back to the UK and they would send me new ones. But I was so frustrated and fed up with the experience that I put them in the basement and haven't used them since. I've since sent the Grimms that I had them made for for updating. When I get the speakers back I will try again. Maybe I did something wrong in setting them up.

My guess is I had a unique experience and the experience of others will not be like this. But I was not happy.