Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPDIF Crystal Cable for D400
(08-Mar-2021, 07:13)audio_engr Wrote: If you look back for this topic, you'll find that I had a lot of issues with the DBS not allowing over 96kHz playback. The moment I was playing 176.4 or 192kHz files, the companion would shut-down. Audioquest had 2 attempts to fix this problem with my WILD RCA-XLR and finally, they found a way to fix it and returned me my WILD digital with RCA-XLR build.

sad to hear that it takes so much trouble to fix something that should work from day one .... I was using Audioquest Coffee with a RCA-XLR Cardas adaptor, it works fine for every bitrate, even DSD, I was just wondering if a WEL Signature will be even better sounding ....
(08-Mar-2021, 10:25)ray1234 Wrote:
(08-Mar-2021, 07:13)audio_engr Wrote: If you look back for this topic, you'll find that I had a lot of issues with the DBS not allowing over 96kHz playback. The moment I was playing 176.4 or 192kHz files, the companion would shut-down. Audioquest had 2 attempts to fix this problem with my WILD RCA-XLR and finally, they found a way to fix it and returned me my WILD digital with RCA-XLR build.

sad to hear that it takes so much trouble to fix something that should work from day one .... I was using Audioquest Coffee with a RCA-XLR Cardas adaptor, it works fine for every bitrate, even DSD, I was just wondering if a WEL Signature will be even better sounding ....

I am using an AQ Diamond RCA (1m) with old-style DBS pack, with the Cardas Clear RCA-XLR adapter on the 'receiving' end. I also have the newer DBS packs, and if I replace the old-style DBS pack with a new-style DBS pack on my AQ Diamond cable, it does not work for the link cable - the Companion doesn't even turn on - this is with either RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR.

By way of comparison with other cables - the AQ Diamond sounds way better than the AQ Carbon (RCA-RCA), which in turn sounds better than an older DHLabs D110 I had.

By way of comparison of RCA-XLR adapters, the Cardas Clear RCA-XLR did sound better than a custom made adapter I had before. So the connectors can make a difference.

I also considered using a RCA-XLR adapter on the 'sending' end, but no idea if it will sound better or worse than the RCA-XLR adapter on the receiving end. In theory the RCA cable is more susceptible to noise but may have less capacitance than an XLR cable. And I have not found any Cardas Clear quality premium adapters yet.

I think the best way would be as @audio_engr suggests, to have a custom made RCA-XLR cable from Audioquest, although that may be more difficult to do in Asia.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
Also on a related note - about DBS and HDMI cables this time - I also have an AQ Mocha HDMI cable (it's the 'cheapest' one with DBS) and had been using it for my TV.

I recently upgrade the TV to a 4K 120Hz LG, and my player GPU to an RTX 3090 with HDMI 2.1 output. Unfortunately, the AQ Mocha HDMI does not work for the higher speed modes (e.g. 4K @ 120Hz). I had to use a decent generic HDMI 2.0 cable which did work. I recently bought a new "HDMI 48" AQ cable which works great, but noticed that the HDMI 48 versions don't have DBS until the top end models like Firebird. Looks like they had to redesign the DBS stuff to work with much higher signal bandwidths.
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(08-Mar-2021, 10:40)hardcore Wrote:
(08-Mar-2021, 10:25)ray1234 Wrote:

I am using an AQ Diamond RCA (1m) with old-style DBS pack, with the Cardas Clear RCA-XLR adapter on the 'receiving' end. I also have the newer DBS packs, and if I replace the old-style DBS pack with a new-style DBS pack on my AQ Diamond cable, it does not work for the link cable - the Companion doesn't even turn on - this is with either RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR.

By way of comparison with other cables - the AQ Diamond sounds way better than the AQ Carbon (RCA-RCA), which in turn sounds better than an older DHLabs D110 I had.

By way of comparison of RCA-XLR adapters, the Cardas Clear RCA-XLR did sound better than a custom made adapter I had before. So the connectors can make a difference.

I also considered using a RCA-XLR adapter on the 'sending' end, but no idea if it will sound better or worse than the RCA-XLR adapter on the receiving end. In theory the RCA cable is more susceptible to noise but may have less capacitance than an XLR cable. And I have not found any Cardas Clear quality premium adapters yet.

I think the best way would be as @audio_engr suggests, to have a custom made RCA-XLR cable from Audioquest, although that may be more difficult to do in Asia.

Interesting. I had the same issues with playing 24 bit, 192kHz files. Until AudioQuest researched the problem, and sent me a brand new RCA-XLR terminated pair. Seems the new cable has better shielding. It works fine with hires files now, features the new Carbon DBS unit, and as a bonus sounds better.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(08-Mar-2021, 10:40)hardcore Wrote: I am using an AQ Diamond RCA (1m) with old-style DBS pack, with the Cardas Clear RCA-XLR adapter on the 'receiving' end. I also have the newer DBS packs, and if I replace the old-style DBS pack with a new-style DBS pack on my AQ Diamond cable, it does not work for the link cable - the Companion doesn't even turn on - this is with either RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR.

I am using the latest Coffee RCA, with the latest DBS, and everything works. Strange the Diamond with latest DBS doesn't work .....

On RCA-XLR adaptor, agree that the Cardas is the best. I previously has a Neutrik RCA-XLR adaptor, and that does not sound as good as the Cardas. The Cardas has more bass and is just better at the lower end.
(09-Mar-2021, 00:08)ray1234 Wrote: I am using the latest Coffee RCA, with the latest DBS, and everything works. Strange the Diamond with latest DBS doesn't work .....

My Diamond cable is actually an older one with the older style DBS. I tried to swap to a new DBS pack on the same old cable, and that combination did not work (as the Devialet link cable). So I guess at some point AQ changed the actual cable construction, seeing as you are using a newer model Coffee that comes with a new DBS pack and that works. And @kerkhoffd mentioned he also got a newer cable with new DBS pack and that works too. Good to know.
Sharing a quick update on a successful experiment.

I bought a mid-range RCA-XLR adapter (RCA-Male to XLR-Male), using this with a newer Audioquest Diamond AES cable (it comes with the newer-style DBS Carbon pack) as the link cable between Master and Companion. So the connection is like this:

Master (RCA) ==> RCA(M)-XLR(M) adapter > AQ Diamond AES ==> Companion (XLR)

It works! And holy cow it sounds very different, a lot more open than my old combination of AQ Diamond RCA with the RCA-XLR converter at the Companion end.

Possible takeaways from this:

- Newer AQ AES cables that are shipped with the newer DBS pack should not have the problems the old cables did when used as the link cable.

- A balanced (XLR) cable might sound better for the Link cable than an unbalanced coax cable.

Edit / Addition:

Master (RCA) ==> RCA(M)-XLR(M) adapter > AQ Diamond AES ==> Companion (XLR)

On the RCA(M)-XLR(M) adapter, I find that disconnecting / blocking Pin 1 (the shield ground pin), gives a more natural, larger sound. This would leave the XLR cable shield grounded only at the receiving (Companion) end.

My rationale is both my Master & Companion are connected to the same power outlet, so they should already be at the same ground potential, and I wanted to avoid having another ground path between them that creates a ground loop. I also have no other cable connecting my Master & Companion so they are otherwise isolated.

Another reason is if using the RCA-XLR adapter, if both Ground and Negative pins are tied together (they usually are on these adapters), then the Ground wire and shield could actually pollute the Negative signal and I wanted to avoid that.
Strange...
Nothing has changed in the master: he gives the same signal through the same output. So the master should sound the same.
Companion receives the same signal, but through a different input. Differences may occur here, although this would mean that Devialet did something not exactly right (RCA vs. XLR).
Strange is the fact that all audio system "sounds very different": as long as only the sound from the companion has changed, does this not mean that with one of the cables (connection modes) there is a substantial imbalance between the master / companion channels (left / right)?...
(06-Apr-2021, 19:56)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Strange...
Nothing has changed in the master: he gives the same signal through the same output. So the master should sound the same.
Companion receives the same signal, but through a different input. Differences may occur here, although this would mean that Devialet did something not exactly right (RCA vs. XLR).
Strange is the fact that all audio system "sounds very different": as long as only the sound from the companion has changed, does this not mean that with one of the cables (connection modes) there is a substantial imbalance between the master / companion channels (left / right)?...

I think it's because there is always a little bit of ground noise or signal noise that goes between the equipment through interconnects, and the noise in the ground plane or signal plane affects the master as well. It's not one-way as it is not galvanically isolated.
(06-Apr-2021, 09:54)hardcore Wrote: On the RCA(M)-XLR(M) adapter, I find that disconnecting / blocking Pin 1 (the shield ground pin), gives a more natural, larger sound. This would leave the XLR cable shield grounded only at the receiving (Companion) end.

How do you disconnect the Pin 1? you open the connector and solder out the Pin 1 yourself?

That's very interesting finding, I am going to try that in a few weeks time when I go back home. I am now using a WEL Signature AES from a Denafrips DDC feeding into the AES of my D400 as source, and using a Coffee digital RCA as the digital connect via a RCA-XLR convertor.

I have already ordered a Cardas XLR-RCA convertor, so I can try and swap using the Coffee as source and WEL Signature as digital connect and see which is better. I used to use the WEL Signature on the source as I have the concept that the source should matter the most and the WEL Signature should be a few steps above the Coffee.