Poll: Do you SAM and if so, how exactly do you choose to use it.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
SAM 100% all the time
31.53%
64 31.53%
SAM at a fixed % all the time
21.18%
43 21.18%
SAM all the time, but vary the percent
4.93%
10 4.93%
SAM all the time at 0%
3.94%
8 3.94%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 100% if on
1.97%
4 1.97%
Sometimes SAM on or off, with fixed % if on
1.48%
3 1.48%
Sometimes SAM on or off, and vary the % if on
2.96%
6 2.96%
Sometimes SAM on or off, but 0% if on
0.49%
1 0.49%
I have SAM ready speakers but prefer SAM off at all times
9.36%
19 9.36%
I do not have SAM ready speakers
22.17%
45 22.17%
Total 203 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you use SAM?
(04-Oct-2017, 04:10)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(03-Oct-2017, 13:24)Confused Wrote: It's fun for all the family, why not give it a try!

To be honest mate, last night I was a little bit over it and just went back to listening for fun. Life's too short to spend my nights looking for problems I didn't know I had. Especially now the missus is away for a few days. Cranck it!  Big Grin
Thank goodness, at last some common sense prevails, all this "how many angels dance on the head of a pin" was getting a bit out of hand Big Grin. Just  sit back and enjoy the music - maybe with a glass (or two) of your favourite "tipple"  Cool

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(03-Oct-2017, 13:24)Confused Wrote: It's fun for all the family, why not give it a try!

To be honest mate, last night I was a little bit over it and just went back to listening for fun. Life's too short to spend my nights looking for problems I didn't know I had. Especially now the missus is away for a few days. Cranck it!  Big Grin

Actually, my post was not aimed at you Pim!  In fact I think your approach is a good one, try something once, establish if it makes a difference or not, and with that done, enjoy the tunes!

I do think it is worthwhile test for those that have not tried it.  My thinking is that we get reports of huge differences, tiny differences, no differences for the same thing, so I think it is good to try this in your own system with your own ears, just so that you can gauge where you are with respect to some of the SQ related stuff that gets posted on this forum.

Of course the other approach is to ignore all this nonsense and crank it!  Seams reasonable to me. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(04-Oct-2017, 12:56)Confused Wrote:

Actually, my post was not aimed at you Pim!  In fact I think your approach is a good one, try something once, establish if it makes a difference or not, and with that done, enjoy the tunes!

I do think it is worthwhile test for those that have not tried it.  My thinking is that we get reports of huge differences, tiny differences, no differences for the same thing, so I think it is good to try this in your own system with your own ears, just so that you can gauge where you are with respect to some of the SQ related stuff that gets posted on this forum.

Of course the other approach is to ignore all this nonsense and crank it!  Seams reasonable to me. Shy

I knew it wasn't aimed at me, no worries.

This sort of stuff will always be around, rightly or wrongly. If only ears were as reliable as eyes, the life of an audiophile would be so much easier.
The problem with tests like this (and cables, re-clockers, different sources, etc.) is that there are so many things that influence what you're hearing that it's hard to know what change, if any, something makes.

I don't have a solid spot for my chair. Every time I listen I need to re-align where I sit. That can make a difference. 
Background noise changes all the time. That can make a difference.
I don't have a power conditioner so the power supply can make a difference. I guess the list goes on.

Some things are for sure; There is an undeniable difference between my old Denon amp and my D200. There is an undeniable difference between my old B&W speakers and my newer Dynaudio speakers. There's an undeniable difference between my D200 and my Od'A. There is an undeniable difference between the way I used to set my speaker up and how I do it since I read 'Get Better Sound'. Those four have made a huge difference to SQ and you don't need to be an audiophile to hear that.

Everything else is much harder to hear. I remember buying a Curious USB cable. I even started a thread named 'I'm coming off the fence' before it arrived to write about my findings. The thread went on for a while before I had the cable. The fact is, once I got the cable I got tired of trying to prove to myself whether it sounded better or not. I just got on with enjoying music and never wrote about my findings. I bought a 3R re-clocker; same thing.

Where does that leave us? Well for me it's quite clear. I want better speakers and once my new living room is finished it will be time to make a decision. Either the living room will sound ok and I will save up for a nice set of floor standers or the room will sound like crap (very possible) and I will concentrate on getting the best two ways I can afford and build a system for the bedroom, which will be acoustically better.
I'm quietly hoping the new streamer board will blow us away with great SQ. If not, I'll have a look into a good source. But it will be a one box solution. I'm not going to muck around with converters, re-clockers and the like. It will be a simple test. Mac mini running Roon over AIR versus the source running Roon. And the difference will have to be in the same league as the changes in speakers and amplifiers or I'll stick with the Mac mini.

Back on topic; yes I use SAM. Set to 100% and loving it. It's in the same league as changing speakers, setup and amp so it's staying.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(04-Oct-2017, 13:52)Pim van Vliet Wrote: ...
This sort of stuff will always be around, rightly or wrongly. If only ears were as reliable as eyes, the life of an audiophile would be so much easier.

And eyes are not as reliable as you might think!  Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I originally voted no as my speakers where not SAM’ed. But they were yesterday—today I loaded the new profile with SAM, have for now settled for 75%

I think it is amazing, not only better lows but the soundstage is deeper, and I have also noticed that there seems to be more “air” between the instruments.

I was also in the store when the Devialet technician did the measurements, funny to see—and he explained about the process.

I know Devialet have a somewhat bad reputation but this free upgrade to my 3½ year old amp is excellent ?

Kind regards Morten
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(13-Oct-2017, 20:42)Morten Wrote: I originally voted no as my speakers where not SAM’ed. But they were yesterday—today I loaded the new profile with SAM, have for now settled for 75%

I think it is amazing, not only better lows but the soundstage is deeper, and I have also noticed that there seems to be more “air” between the instruments.

I was also in the store when the Devialet technician did the measurements, funny to see—and he explained about the process.

I know Devialet have a somewhat bad reputation but this free upgrade to my 3½ year old amp is excellent ?

Kind regards Morten
Hello Morten i Think you where In high performence Yesterday and get your speakers samed , and nov Danish. Morten i Havnegade har fået banket en lille fin butik op der , og godt for dig du har fået dine højttalere samed . Hilsen fra Finn
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,