Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound of Piano
Just got my Phantom Gold over the holiday season and it went well beyond my expectations Big Grin Most of the music I listen to sound so much better and more realistic...vocals, guitar, strings, and of course anything bass-heavy, except one instrument - piano.

To be honest, compared to my current $1k system, Phantom Gold can render a lot more details and can compare to some $10k system (the Ensemble) I listened to at the dealer. In one classic solo recording, I can even hear every time the pianist presses the pedal! However, the tonal quality doesn't really feel any better and it still doesn't quite sound like the real thing (we have a fairly good grand piano at home). Specifically, I'd like to hear a fuller, more transparent sound that has the singing quality of the original.

Do you listen to piano on Phantom and do you feel the same?  Huh
I do listen to piano. Have a grand at home. Nothing compares to a live instrument. At least not in anything I've heard. Now to be fair, sometimes, some speakers may actually sounding better in a larger room that is beyond the instrument's capacity to fill to satisfying volume. But others wise, in terms of realism, no audio system is as good as live.

Gold is good for piano - must better than Silver for me.
(09-Jan-2017, 06:44)partita Wrote: Just got my Phantom Gold over the holiday season and it went well beyond my expectations Big Grin  Most of the music I listen to sound so much better and more realistic...vocals, guitar, strings, and of course anything bass-heavy, except one instrument - piano.

To be honest, compared to my current $1k system, Phantom Gold can render a lot more details and can compare to some $10k system (the Ensemble) I listened to at the dealer. In one classic solo recording, I can even hear every time the pianist presses the pedal! However, the tonal quality doesn't really feel any better and it still doesn't quite sound like the real thing (we have a fairly good grand piano at home). Specifically, I'd like to hear a fuller, more transparent sound that has the singing quality of the original.

Try to connect them with cat 7 ethernet cables and do after that a complete factory reset!
One of the first records I tried when switching from Silver to Gold was a solo piano album (Marc Cary's "For The Love Of Abbey"). Having been impressed by the piano sound on Silvers I can't wait to test this recording on Golds. And the result was outstanding. Of course the real live piano should have sound even better, but I never experienced such a near-to-real audition.
Devices :
2 Gold Phantoms (previously 2 Silver) + Dialog - Denon DCD-SD/300 -
Project Essential II Digital equipped with Ortofon 2M Blue,
Accessories :
Tree, Cocoon, Remote

Lyon - France
(09-Jan-2017, 11:29)Johnnydev Wrote:
(09-Jan-2017, 06:44)partita Wrote: Just got my Phantom Gold over the holiday season and it went well beyond my expectations Big Grin  Most of the music I listen to sound so much better and more realistic...vocals, guitar, strings, and of course anything bass-heavy, except one instrument - piano.

Try to connect them with cat 7 ethernet cables and do after that a complete factory reset!

I could give it a try, but how does that suppose to help given that all other categories of music sound sooooooo good to me?
(09-Jan-2017, 08:52)MountainGuy Wrote: I do listen to piano.  Have a grand at home.  Nothing compares to a live instrument.  At least not in anything I've heard.  Now to be fair, sometimes, some speakers may actually sounding better in a larger room that is beyond the instrument's capacity to fill to satisfying volume.  But others wise, in terms of realism, no audio system is as good as live.  

Gold is good for piano - must better than Silver for me.

Yeah, nothing really compares to the real thing. But what I'm really curious is why Phantom Gold is talented at so many different types of music but not so much for piano...acoustically, I know piano has a really wide range and very rich harmonies, but not sure if that makes it harder for speakers.
(10-Jan-2017, 00:03)partita Wrote:
(09-Jan-2017, 11:29)Johnnydev Wrote:

I could give it a try, but how does that suppose to help given that all other categories of music sound sooooooo good to me?

In my case with silvers, everything sounds much better with ethernet cables and the phantoms and dialog on the same powerblock.

And it was a not a small difference with piano and the whole sound!

It sounds fuller, more detail, more resolution, more "high-end"
I'm a long time single silver owner and tested a single gold last week. One of my artists was pianist Abdullah Ibrahim. I thought the richness across the spectrum was way better. I listen to a lot of piano music so curious about your observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like listen to live jazz records with my phantoms gold. 
The Piano will sound very realistic  if the recording is made upclose in a small club.

I recommend this live recording  of Michel Petruciani (piano) and Eddy Louiss (hammond organ) recorded in Paris at "le petit cheval", a very small jazz club (sadly Michel Petruciani passed away a few years ago).[Image: sad.gif]

https://open.spotify.com/album/4K5eeXGPIjPJFPkhSUTtpA

I found that the sound of piano and hammond organ is very realistic when I listen to the CD on a DVD player connected with an optical cable to one of the phantoms. When I turn up the volume to realistic levels and I close my eyes I could swear I am sitting there at "le petit journal" (I have been there a few times). 

It is less realistic and "full" when I stream this record using  Spotify connect in high quality setting (see the link above).

Enjoy the music !
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
I do listen to piano especially Chopin.

I completly agree with you and it is the only time I have been disapointed by my pair of silver.