Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound of Piano
(27-Jan-2017, 03:24)mac Wrote: I do listen to piano especially Chopin.

I completly agree with you and it is the only time I have been disapointed by my pair of silver.

I believe Gold will be better. At least for me, after about 100 hours of break-in, my Gold now sounds a bit more rounded and enjoyable for classical piano.

However, compared to another system I have (B&W 686 S2 and Sonos CONNECT:AMP) that costs only slightly more than $1000 for stereo, Phantom Gold still isn't audibly better at piano.
I did not like piano too much with my Silver.

But I do like piano a lot with my Gold.
LGlwreetings Everyone!

This is my first post and perhaps my third visit to this site which so far looks engaging. We have yet to receive our new phantoms so I am not yet able to speak authoritatively,  but this threat interests me for two key reasons.  First, I had decided years ago that is was better to invest in a player piano rather than invest in audio equipment if I wanted to capture the live performance in my home so given a choice between a 20k dollar audio system or a 20k dollar player piano, I would go with the piano.  Second, in thinking about songs I was going to first play, I thought of "Kara Remembers" as  by Joohyun Park and Bear McCreary along with other similar songs.  I don't expect that it would sound equal to a live performance but I dont think it will disappoint either, I won't rule out that possibility either. Time will tell.

Regards,

JD
(09-Jan-2017, 06:44)partita Wrote: Just got my Phantom Gold over the holiday season and it went well beyond my expectations Big Grin  Most of the music I listen to sound so much better and more realistic...vocals, guitar, strings, and of course anything bass-heavy, except one instrument - piano.

To be honest, compared to my current $1k system, Phantom Gold can render a lot more details and can compare to some $10k system (the Ensemble) I listened to at the dealer. In one classic solo recording, I can even hear every time the pianist presses the pedal! However, the tonal quality doesn't really feel any better and it still doesn't quite sound like the real thing (we have a fairly good grand piano at home). Specifically, I'd like to hear a fuller, more transparent sound that has the singing quality of the original.

Do you listen to piano on Phantom and do you feel the same?  Huh

Try the audioquest Z3 powercables to the feets of the tree.
As a keen piano player myself I do know what to listen for. Firstly and most importantly, every real piano sounds different, even two of the same model. Secondly, Recording techniques have improved but recording a live instrument, particularly the piano is still a long way from perfect. Finally I find a piano won’t sound right unless played at the right volume. A piano is not a quiet instrument.

The golds do a VERY good job of piano reproduction in my opinion.