Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
dCS Network Bridge
OK - Gentlemen ! this is what we've established here ...

1. For the Devialet, AES input is the "best" format and the way to go.

2. dCS network bridge's AES output fed to the Devialet's AES sounds the best.

3. $4250 is a tall ask but if dCS sounds right, then its the way to go.

Any thoughts of this ??
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(04-Jun-2017, 12:09)audio_engr Wrote: OK - Gentlemen ! this is what we've established here ...

1. For the Devialet, AES input is the "best" format and the way to go.

2. dCS network bridge's AES output fed to the Devialet's AES sounds the best.

3. $4250 is a tall ask but if dCS sounds right, then its the way to go.

Any thoughts of this ??

1- Yes and no, there is a fine line between AES and USB that neither can compensate for the other

2- it depends if dCS NB clock whether it brings improvement to the sound or not. If not, then we can use the USB out when a future update supports it. One advantage though, is the availability of external clock interface similar to Aurender W20 at a much lower price range.

3- If 1 and 2 are both fulfiled, then imho it can be high in our priority list of streamer. It boils down to who auditions it and compares AES and USB to Devialet when update is out.

Screen-less and Storage-less NB should perform better than existing streamers that contain both.

There is one more discussion of ultrarendu and SMS 200 ultra which again brings us back to the purpose of the streamer Vs it's value. Here, NB is a overpriced.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
Regarding @Emeralds and @audio_engr's recent posts I have some thoughts.

Auralic Aries G2 + Auralic Upsampler G2 + Auralic Master Clock - This is indeed a lot more cash than the dCS Network Bridge, but if you are comparing to dCS, the Auralic G2 range is in many ways far more equivalent to the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Master clock. This is £24,000 list price in the UK, so on this basis the Auralic is a bargain! Having said that, the G2 Transporter is roughly the same price as the Network Bridge, and similar spec in many ways. (although the Auralic has a nice screen, which is either a positive or a negative if you are worried about screen 'noise') The dCS Vivaldi is very good though and I doubt the Auralic could match it. However, nobody has listened to the Auralic G2 range as far as I know, certainly nobody has hooked one up to a Devialet, so time will tell on this one, maybe it will be a giant killer?

There was a comment you copied in your earlier post stating that the microRendu is better than the Aurender N10. I have tried both with a D800 and would not agree, the Aurender is far superior. Interestingly, I was at a dealer event once and the dealer demoed the Aurender N10 via USB then AES/EBU with the same music. This was with a D800 and Sasha II's. Everyone preferred the N10 via AES/EBU.

Regarding the ultraRendu, nobody has heard that one either!

Another option with all these lower cost 'end points' / Ethernet to USB converters that are available, is to use the Mutec MC3+USB, which converts to AES/EBU and provides reclocking goodness. In my system the microRendu + Mutec works well. With this 'front end' I am currently experimenting with HQPlayer, with some very encouraging results. I am very interested in the dCS Network Bridge, but it is not compatible with HQPlayer, so that one is a big negative for me. It is also worth noting the new Mutec Ref 10 clock, which is reportedly very high specification, but it is not compatible with dCS products I believe.

There are also products like the IsoRegen and SOtM equivalents. I have noted some negatives with the Devialet's USB input but I do wonder if something like the IsoRegen might mitigate by providing full galvanic isolation and eliminating leakage loops?

This is all very system dependant, and musical preferences are a factor. The issues I have noted with the Devialet's USB have been with the very lowest bass, which I'm guessing might be more of an issue with myself playing electronica on the KEF Blades versus something more refined on the Atohms, we all have different priorities. This low bass issue can be caused by leakage loops, hence my earlier comment.

My conclusion is that there does happen to be a lot of interesting products either just released or due to be released imminently, so a good time for me to sit on the fence, tweak with HQPlayer in the in the short term, and wait to see how the new products perform. There is almost too much choice now, but that is no bad thing I think, it does not make choosing easy though!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
In my experience AES is much better than USB so when I was at the last Highend I investigated the Bridge but then I was also at the Innous stand where they demonstrated the sound differences of the different levels of their products, all USB. So it depends on the quality of the different inputs but also on the quality of the severs and their outputs. Makes all that more difficult to make a decision without having them in a direct comparison with a Devialet xxx.
And there is always the small chance that the sever board will be actually great (only how long we have wait to find out).
IMHO, 'bang for small-bucks' seem to be the Mutec ... and I prefer AES in to the Dxxx
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
dCS is offering me their Network bridge for £ 2,700 (export) thats approx US$ 3,400 ...

what do you guys say ??
(10-Jun-2017, 11:55)audio_engr Wrote: dCS is offering me their Network bridge for £ 2,700 (export) thats approx US$ 3,400  ...

what do you guys say ??

The retail price in UK is circa £3250 (Tax included). Assume that the export price you are being offered is Tax exclusive so you will have to add any import tax/duty applicable, in Sierra Leone, on top of the £2,700?

I also assume that you can not get to demo one, so purchase will be on "trust" and reputation of dCS - will you be able to return it if you are not happy with it? I, personally, would be loathe to make that sort of outlay without hearing it in my own system, but then again that is me - others may have other opinions.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
have one home for review today and it sounds completely stunning, just shockingly good digital! Will post further thoughts soon.
Surprised that AIR is not required..the dCS bridge shows as a source without AIR...l. So ROON ROCK would work without any concerns about ROON compatability with AIR....
(12-Jun-2017, 06:26)Wdw Wrote: Surprised that AIR is not required..the dCS bridge shows as a source without AIR...l. So ROON ROCK would work without any concerns about ROON compatability with AIR....

Where does the bridge show up? Do you mean in Roon or are I missing something?

Do you run AES to your Devialet?
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree