Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet vs Everything Else
This isn't really a comparison insofar as my Grimm system is a complete solution, so I can't run it with the Devialet. Because the speakers I use with my Devialet are so different from the more standard cones of the Grimm, the systems sound very different and both wonderful. BUT I have been impressed by how much better Native DSD recordings sound on the Grimms than DoP sounds on the Devialet. Native DSD on the Grimms is the closest thing to real I've ever experienced listening to a system.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

If we go back and think how its started before Amara,jplay,Tidal,roon,hq player,switches etc etc etc and Computer Audiofile was the reference for tweakingSmile
Are Devialet supposed to catch up with all this toys and be aligned att all time ?

Is there any one box solution who can handle all this tweaks and new programs without having a living room look like a hifi shop ?

It started with the D Premier…..remember
Summing up
Yes, at $15,995, the Devialet D-Premier seems expensive. But when you consider that in my system it replaced a combination of a D/A preamp and similarly rated power amplifier costing a smidgen short of $29,000 without cables, and in some ways sounded better, that price starts to look more competitive. And that's without considering the additional cost of a high-quality D/A converter for those with a conventional preamplifier. Then there's the fact that the D-Premier's hardware platform has been designed for easy upgradeability via firmware upgrades.
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
(27-Mar-2017, 15:39)Dr Tone Wrote: I knew it was only a matter of time before Confused would show up in this thread wrapped in a French flag and chanting Devialet, Devialet, Devialet!

Big Grin

To be honest, I love my 1000 Pro, I am absolutely delighted with the thing.  I know I can sound a bit evangelical about Devialet sometimes, so I'll accept the ribbing in good grace, I could see it coming I think! Shy

There is a point here though, before buying my first Devialet I went to a huge amount of time and effort comparing different amp / DAC combinations with my speakers of choice, before eventually coming to the conclusion that the Devialet was the one for me.  I do know of others who think Devialet's are overpriced and sound mediocre at best.  OK, fair enough, it is certainly true that all amps /DAC /integrated combinations sound different to degrees and indeed work better with particular speakers, there is no 'best', but there is maybe a best for you.  So the key thing is to find something that works in your system and suits your own ears / taste / music.  For me, I am more than satisfied that Devialet does it for me, and I know others will find alternatives they prefer.  The thing is that I am 100% happy with the way the Devialet performs, and I am sure I'll be happy with my 1000 Pro for many years.  (assuming there isn't another upgrade scheme in a couple of years Huh )  OK, I will keep looking around, but I think it would take something pretty special to emerge in th hifi world to temp me away anytime soon.  So I think it is worth making the effort auditioning to the point you are sure you will be happy with what you are buying, then enjoy! Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(27-Mar-2017, 16:57)Petter Wrote: If we go  back and think how its started before Amara,jplay,Tidal,roon,hq player,switches etc etc etc and Computer Audiofile was the reference  for tweakingSmile
Are Devialet supposed to catch up with all this toys and be aligned att all time ?

Is there any one box solution who can handle all this tweaks and new programs  without  having a living room look like a hifi shop  ?

Because of 2+ years of Air issues and to some extent still, allot of owners on this forum have been adding additional hardware to get over and improve the Devialet and making their living room look like a hifi shop.

I managed to refrain all these years and live with a USB cable from my optimized computer.  HQPlayer made me want to play around with other brands again as it's just so temperamental with Devialet's crappy USB driver and ultimately the Devialet's limit of 24/192.

Oddly I seem to be the only one that could get HQPlayer stable with Air.  That said I also feel like I'm one windows update away from it breaking again.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Those TAD speakers are really superb. Sounding (very) good with all amps I have heard them on. Even on not really expensive amps either. I for one am very interested to hear your opinion on the Aavik. Never heard them myself, but interested none the less. Have fun Octaviars, and please share your findings.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(27-Mar-2017, 18:25)kerkhoffd Wrote: Those TAD speakers are really superb. Sounding (very) good with all amps I have heard them on. Even on not really expensive amps either. I for one am very interested to hear your opinion on the Aavik. Never heard them myself, but interested none the less. Have fun Octaviars, and please share your findings.

TAD is number one on my list over speakers if I only could get over some of the looks of the TAD-E1 that will be my next speaker. Trying the E1 with my D440 is also on the list to do....

I also like HQ Player but as I see it to really benefit from it running 256 or 512 DSD is to use a DAC that not converts it to PCM before decoding.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(27-Mar-2017, 19:39)octaviars Wrote: I also like HQ Player but as I see it to really benefit from it running 256 or 512 DSD is to use a DAC that not converts it to PCM before decoding.

I don't know, HQPlayer upsampling PCM -> PCM is darn sweet sounding as well.  All day yesterday I had HQPlayer doing PCM -> 352/384 and DSD64->DSD128.  I don't know if I could tell the difference DSD->DSD.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(27-Mar-2017, 19:57)Dr Tone Wrote:
(27-Mar-2017, 19:39)octaviars Wrote: I also like HQ Player but as I see it to really benefit from it running 256 or 512 DSD is to use a DAC that not converts it to PCM before decoding.

I don't know, HQPlayer upsampling PCM -> PCM is darn sweet sounding as well.  All day yesterday I had HQPlayer doing PCM -> 352/384 and DSD64->DSD128.  I don't know if I could tell the difference DSD->DSD.

Well I suppose you are right but I have only run 192 with Roon/HQ Player/AIR so I cant speak of the benefits of running higher with HQ Player but it seems to me that the buzz on the internet is doing DSD256 or 512 and a DAC that has Direct DSD mode. I know Jussi who makes HQ Player is talking alot about this direct mode as the best way to use his software.

I know Phison Audio PD2 uses the older AKM4490 chip that can bypass DSD 256 direct and that pre-amp bing a modular construction perhaps he will use the AKM4497 that can do DSD 512 in the future, I have plans to try the Phison pre-amp and amplifier in my system.

http://www.phisonaudio.dk/home/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum...ent=497084
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I had once had the opportunity to visit a lovely store in London by the name of KJ WEST ONE. Absolutely a fantastic place highly recommended store. The very friendly owner of the store had just setup a dCS front end, with Dan D'Agostino mono blocks with the Wilson Alexx speakers. And it was there where I experienced for the first time a perception of truly holographic sound. Its was a solo Violin track and let me tell you the moment was magical, the instrument was surrounded by sonic darkness meaning the sound was contained within a defined area in space, as if the Violin was floating in the air in front of me. When I listen to my D440 everything is stuck to the back wall like notes on a cork board. But to be fair I have to remind myself that the price of that whole system would be around $300,000. For me to have something like that would be an impossible dream to achieve. I am grateful to even have a D440 (Pro) lets put it that way.
(28-Mar-2017, 21:08)Rama Wrote: I had once had the opportunity to visit a lovely store in London by the name of KJ WEST ONE. Absolutely a fantastic place highly recommended store. The very friendly owner of the store had just setup a dCS front end, with Dan D'Agostino mono blocks with the Wilson Alexx speakers. And it was there where I experienced for the first time a perception of truly holographic sound. Its was a solo Violin track and let me tell you the moment was magical, the instrument was surrounded by sonic darkness meaning the sound was contained within a defined area in space, as if the Violin was floating in the air in front of me. When I listen to my D440 everything is stuck to the back wall like notes on a cork board. But to be fair I have to remind myself that the price of that whole system would be around $300,000. For me to have something like that would be an impossible dream to achieve. I am grateful to even have a D440 (Pro) lets put it that way.

I'm not sure what you use for speakers but I'm betting it was the very well set up Alexx speakers that were doing most of the magic in this case.