Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet vs Everything Else
Oh, I wish I could find much better. So far my 800 sound amazing good. I'm dying to try naim 500 but no one around me carry it.
For me any comparison of amplifiers must be done with the same speakers without moving the speakers, or anything else, in the room.
The contribution of the speakers, the room and the position of the speaker and listener in the room make a massively bigger difference to the sound than any electronics. The only thing which comes close is if you are into analogue sources, particularly LPs where there is, again a much bigger difference between the individual elements of turntable, arm and cartridge than any electronics.
I have heard The Devialet up against Constellation elsewhere and against Goldmund, Job and valve amps here and I find the Devialet very close to the Constellation (I prefer the Devialet), it is much less coloured than either the normal push-pull but particularly SET amps which are warm but lacking detail in comparison.

The recording itself, speakers and room acoustics are pretty well 100% responsible for the imaging - expecting much contribution to this from the electronics is an error IME.

Overall the Devialet is the least coloured amp I have heard, which isn't necessarily what everybody wants. There are times when I feel like using my valve amp - but not often...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(05-Aug-2017, 19:16)f1eng Wrote: For me any comparison of amplifiers must be done with the same speakers without moving the speakers, or anything else, in the room.
The contribution of the speakers, the room and the position of the speaker and listener in the room make a massively bigger difference to the sound than any electronics. The only thing which comes close is if you are into analogue sources, particularly LPs where there is, again a much bigger difference between the individual elements of turntable, arm and cartridge than any electronics.
I have heard The Devialet up against Constellation elsewhere and against Goldmund, Job and valve amps here and I find the Devialet very close to the Constellation (I prefer the Devialet), it is much less coloured than either the normal push-pull but particularly SET amps which are warm but lacking detail in comparison.

The recording itself, speakers and room acoustics are pretty well 100% responsible for the imaging - expecting much contribution to this from the electronics is an error IME.

Overall the Devialet is the least coloured amp I have heard, which isn't necessarily what everybody wants. There are times when I feel like using my valve amp - but not often...

+1
(05-Aug-2017, 19:16)f1eng Wrote: For me any comparison of amplifiers must be done with the same speakers without moving the speakers, or anything else, in the room.

I cannot agree more.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France

+1 re comparisons are best done in a controlled manner, and also re Devialet seems to be the least coloured system that I have had - 'seems' because my ancillary gear, eg. cables, speakers, source, have all changed over time, somewhat confounding any comparison between systems.

Over time I have cycled through Halcro DM58 monoblocks/DM8 preamp, and EAR Yoshino 509 monoblocks/868 preamp, and notwithstanding my constant faffing around with ancillary gear, and I am happiest with the Devialet sound and functionality.
WTL TT / HP laptop (JRiver) / Devialet 400 / Marten Django / Crystal Cable

Sydney Australia
The previous posts reference some seriously budget-busting products, and I admit that I've never seen any of the recently mentioned products. But I did recently get a small system for my office; it is a Nuprime IDA-16 integrated and Amphion Argon 1 speakers. A quick pre-emptive note to say that I agree with the points F!eng makes about testing products with identical associated equipment and in the same location and position.... and I have not done that.

But I have listened to the office system for about three months with other bits that I know and am familiar with. With all that out of the way, I'm only intending to offer up this comment: the Devialet, both as a D120 and a D220 Pro is seriously better than the Nuprime. Strangely, it is (I almost hate to say this) a kind of ... warmth or musicality to the Dev. Maybe the Nuprime is 'dry'? But there a more listenable, engaging sound that comes from the Devialet, and it is more than just details, or drive, or depth. Or whatever. I think the Nuprime is an amazing amp for $2,500.00 (CDN) but if I remain rich and get bored I'll sell it and buy a used D120. It just makes me realize that not all digital amps are the same, and that there is no 'digital sound'.

Oh, BTW, the Nuprime remote is crap. I could post a video of the rattling sound the buttons make when you shake the remote. Or looking at it from the other side, it is like getting a free castanet with your amp.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(12-Apr-2017, 17:21)Dr Tone Wrote: I will have officially moved on to a McIntosh C47 Preamp and MC301 mono blocks next week.

C47 is the same preamp as C52 minus the 8 band eq and extra inputs/outputs.

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/mcintos...mplifiers/

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/t...amplifier/

I have the opportunity to buy the same set as you have for a good price. But no in the position to home demo the kit.

Are you happy with yours? Care to share the similarities and differences with a Devialet?
I know this is not a fair comparison as the Totaldac d1-tube-m2 costs €9900 (that does not include the amplifier or the streamer), and a 440 Pro is 14,990 which leaves us with around €5000. A Leben CS600 amp costs €4100 leaving us around €900 for a Auralic streamer. So which combination would you pick. I have read such glowing reviews about the totaldac mainly on AudioStream. How much better is the DAC sound quality as compared to a D440 Pro? A small snippet from the review of the totaldac:

"Listening through the totaldac late at night in the relative darkness, I can listen in to my music as deeply as I care to go. There is nothing in between it and me except my thoughts, so when I connect to the music and quiet my brain's activity, it's as if space (and time) are defined by the music. This is in distinct contrast to most other DACs I've heard where that same experience is cut short, as if my journey into the music's space (and time) bumps up against a pane of glass. I can 'see' through it, I can mostly ignore it, but it's there. I prefer when it's not."

Would we get the same sort of praise for the D440 Pro? I am waiting for Audiostream to do a review on the 440 Pro, as the last Devialet product they covered was a D120. Welcome anyone who has heard the Todaldac to chime in and let us know how it compares to a Devialet.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
I suppose @GuillaumeB is the closest to answer a question like this as he owns Totaldac units.
I am sure the ADH amplifier is more challenging to replace than the streamer part. Maybe the d1 server? This will be great with the 440 Pro CI (if you choose to keep it). The Devialet monoblocks are quite exceptional. As you say, very difficult to find equipment costing the same that beats it. If price is not a limitation a stack of Totaldac boxes and a great power amplifier is probably better, but you'll easily end up at 50.000 Euro or more...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
D1 and Dev 800 is an exceptional combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk