Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet "Instant SAM" at the customer's expense
Lightbulb 
I by no means, try to make devialet think out of the box for their marketing. 

By all means, you can criticize this approach all you want. What I am getting is that it takes a long while to make SAM happen with Voting system. Some of us, who own dated state-oft-the-art speakers or new concept that got released with promising reliability want to get their setup done in a healthy time period. 

Going for the vote is fun. But it takes a while. 
The rest of audiophiles, who can afford to fund a SAM process, are supposed to get an optional "Instant SAM" with a studied price that covers Devialet the expense and motivation of doing so. 

Do you think this request is unfair ?
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
A very reasonable request I think:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4127

It is also perhaps worth noting that Devialet never really followed the 'vote for SAM' system. When SAM was very new there were many speakers with low votes that were 'SAM ready' and many with high votes that were not. Since then, the speakers getting the SAM treatment were done on a very ad hoc basis.

There have also been some people who have managed to get their speakers SAMed by sending them to Devialet HQ, and some via SAM Lab, so there are possibilities.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(04-May-2017, 05:43)Emerald Wrote: Do you think this request is unfair ?

No, not all. It's probably worth you requesting it.

Depending where you live that was the supposed benefit of SAMlab, but they don't exactly advertise it's whereabouts these days, or even if you can pay for a measurement at your home etc. It seems even though they've invented SAMlab and their promo video makes out measurements with it are quick and pretty much 'plug and play' it still had to be accompanied by 'top' Devialet engineers for some reason. Not even sure how many they have - seems might just be a single unit?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

And they aren't really speeding up the process of adding speakers to SAM database - there were over 600 speakers in database at the beginning of last year, and now there are 734. After a very quick burst of hundreds of speakers this seems to have slowed considerably.
• Kuzma Stabi S turntable • Kuzma Stogi S arm • Benz Micro ACE H cartridge • PC with MusicBee / WASAPI source • Oyaide d+ NEO B-Class USB cable • Devialet 200 amplifier • Blue Jeans Ten speaker cable • GoldenEar Triton One •

Yes, there seems to be no link between votes cast and SAM-readiness. I was delighted when my Yamaha NS 1000's, out of production for 30-odd years, became SAMmed. I presume that someone carted a pair to a clinic. Three cheers for them!

Fraser
I used the form to add my speakers to the Vote For Sam list, and then responded to their email when they confirmed addition of speaker to the list. Here's their response:

Me: "Is SAM Lab still on tour? If not, what's the best way for me to get these speakers SAM'd?"
Dev: "The best way to get your speakers SAMed is to send them to Paris, or Hong Kong, where there are two SAMLAB currently working. If it is too much trouble, I am afraid you will have to wait for another SAM Tour."
Me: "Is there a cost associated with the SAM service itself (in addition to the shipping I will incur)? Is SAMLab going to make another tour within the next year? Is there a tour schedule that you can share with me?"
Dev: "We are currently assembling new SAM Labs, so in the following months we will be able to launch new SAM Tours, but for the moment nothing has been planned yet. There will not be any cost associated with the SAM itself, we provide the service for free. If you are willing to ship your speakers to Hong Kong, let me know, and I will contact my counterpart in Hong Kong."

This should help answer the outstanding questions above.

Cheers!
Devialet 400 / Von Gaylord Return Of The Legend + VG-1 Plus / Well Tempered Simplex w/ Dynavector 20x2L
(09-May-2017, 20:59)absolutk Wrote: I used the form to add my speakers to the Vote For Sam list, and then responded to their email when they confirmed addition of speaker to the list. Here's their response:

Me: "Is SAM Lab still on tour? If not, what's the best way for me to get these speakers SAM'd?"
Dev: "The best way to get your speakers SAMed is to send them to Paris, or Hong Kong, where there are two SAMLAB currently working. If it is too much trouble, I am afraid you will have to wait for another SAM Tour."
Me: "Is there a cost associated with the SAM service itself (in addition to the shipping I will incur)? Is SAMLab going to make another tour within the next year? Is there a tour schedule that you can share with me?"
Dev: "We are currently assembling new SAM Labs, so in the following months we will be able to launch new SAM Tours, but for the moment nothing has been planned yet. There will not be any cost associated with the SAM itself, we provide the service for free. If you are willing to ship your speakers to Hong Kong, let me know, and I will contact my counterpart in Hong Kong."

This should help answer the outstanding questions above.

Cheers!

We are aware that they can SAM a speaker if you ship it to them. 

That is not what I suggested. The paid service is obviously for Devialet SAM team to buy a ticket, travel to the nearest dealer/manufacturer and get the specified speaker SAMed in an agreed time. That will cost them and ultimately charge the client who asked for it. 

Think about how much well earned money you spent on the system. The clients who reach to that point of requirement, I assume that they can finance this process. Paying 1000-3000 Euros "Instant SAM" won't hurt to get your favorite/rare speaker SAMed to get the most of Devialet. They will like this approach actually, hopefully not to discourage them to stop SAM tours all together.
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia