Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
MELCO
The Melco's "raison d'etre" has always been very high quality, low noise, storage and delivery of music files. In the past there were repots of Melco trying to run Roon on the original N1A and N1Z. Apparently this was problematic due to the lack of power in the ARM processor, so this was abandoned and the Melcos never became" Roon Ready" as a core device.

So the N1A / N1Z cannot be used as a Roon core, only a Roon end point? You could have Roon core on a PC or whatever, and feed this to the Melco, but then you lose the Melco's prime function of low noise music storage. I guess you could store files on the Melco, these could be picked up by a noisy PC or whatever running Roon core, and then you could send these back to the Melco as a Roon end point, but having the electrically noisy PC in the middle of this chain seems to me to eliminate the benefits of Melco's electrically quiet file storage.

So what is the idea behind of all this? I am a little puzzled.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-Sep-2019, 12:25)K4680 Wrote:
(09-Sep-2019, 09:29)tategoi Wrote: I think this is the name of the Melco given by the owner. I named mine N1ZH2, boring!

Hi, look at the icon on the bottom right !!!!  Big Grin

A conversation with a Melco employee ended with the phrase "Let's surprise you" !!

I missed that tiny little icon. Pleasantly surprised! Smile
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(13-Sep-2019, 13:25)Confused Wrote: The Melco's "raison d'etre" has always been very high quality, low noise, storage and delivery of music files. In the past there were repots of Melco trying to run Roon on the original N1A and N1Z. Apparently this was problematic due to the lack of power in the ARM processor, so this was abandoned and the Melcos never became" Roon Ready" as a core device.

So the N1A / N1Z cannot be used as a Roon core, only a Roon end point? You could have Roon core on a PC or whatever, and feed this to the Melco, but then you lose the Melco's prime function of low noise music storage. I guess you could store files on the Melco, these could be picked up by a noisy PC or whatever running Roon core, and then you could send these back to the Melco as a Roon end point, but having the electrically noisy PC in the middle of this chain seems to me to eliminate the benefits of Melco's electrically quiet file storage.

So what is the idea behind of all this? I am a little puzzled.

You have a point there. Would have been great if Melco was able to run Roon core.

With Melco as an end-point, the signal from the PC / Roon core can be routed through the Melco, with some potential benefits albeit less than if the signal was kept completely within the Melco.

Without this Roon end-point function, the Melco would just have been a (quite expensive) NAS feeding the PC / Roon core which then feeds the (potentially noisier) signal to the DAC.

Could this approach also be similar to the dual PC setup advocated by some as sounding better - a control PC running Roon core + the audio PC (substitute Melco here) connected to the DAC?
IMHO, the greatest selling point of the Melco is the “Ethernet Purifier” and not the “audiophile-grade NAS”.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
??? Big Grin
https://www.melco-audio-masters.com/roon.html
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
New Melco Device: EX SERIES

https://www.melco-audio-masters.com/melco-range.html

But where is ROON? Confused

Attached Files
.pdf   mel_2081_exseries_4pp_bro_web.pdf (Size: 1.86 MB / Downloads: 26)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
28th May, 2020

System software Ver 4.02 is now released for N1/EX, N10 and N100.

Installation without problems!

https://www.melco-audio.com/downloads/
Germany / Bavaria
Dear all
I am jumping in that 6 years old thread...
Could somebody make a summary of the current best set-up to use the Melco.
As far as I understood the best use is to connect it directly to the Devialet Expert with USB or use UPnP, in order to enjoy the high quality storage of the product.
What are the best applications for those 2 type of set-up ?
Some people in the forum have mentioned the DELA brand in Japan. Is it possible to put a Melco firmware (in English) into a DELA machine?

Thanks.
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
Wrt Melco vs Dela, it’s the same product but marketed under different names.

In Japan, it’s Dela. Outside Japan, it’s Melco.

My Melco N1ZH/60 has the Melco logo sticker pasted over the Dela logo on the front plate. Later versions have the Melco logo printed on it instead of a sticker.

Generally, Dela branded models are priced lower than equivalent Melco branded models.
(30-May-2020, 14:28)nicoludio Wrote: Wrt Melco vs Dela, it’s the same product but marketed under different names.

In Japan, it’s Dela. Outside Japan, it’s Melco.

My Melco N1ZH/60 has the Melco logo sticker pasted over the Dela logo on the front plate.  Later versions have the Melco logo printed on it instead of a sticker.

Generally, Dela branded models are priced lower than equivalent Melco branded models.
Thanks for your answer.
Dela is mentioning on their website that Dela products have to be used in Japan... and that firmware specifications would prevent people from using Dela product outside Japan (I guess what they mean is they would prevent users from installing the Melco firmware with English menu into a Dela product where the menu are only in Japanese). 
They do not mention the new dedicated Melco application for Ipad.
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100