Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet at the Venice Biennale
This thread is to give Devialet owners a bit of glimpse of the French pavillion constructed for this years Biennale in Venice, Italy. Not that it was a Devialet show, but they are a contributor and I made a point of seeing the French pavillion while we were at the Biennale. 

The Fench pavilion is a permanent structure,  and is a classically inspired building, but the installation is all about the contemporary interior and the sound stage created there, which includes performance areas and a recording booth. When we were there, a musician was playing a fairly large harpsicord, and visitors just mill around, while various musicians or creators play and record. 

One observation that I want to relate is the accoustics of this space. Upon entering the room, the sense of quiet is immediate and dramatic. There is virtually no reflected sound, and even with people inside moving and talking, the room absorbs the sounds in a remarkable way. Note that almost all the surfaces are plywood, not absorptive materials.  It was quieter even than the last recording studio I was in. For me, it was an powerful example of the importance of room acoustics. 

Phantom owners will be pleased to see so many white globes in place; they were all Gold Phantoms. 

It was a great experience; even my wife came away impressed. She is the blonde in the black dress with the red shoulder bag, reading the artsy newspaper about the installation. And just to complete the picture, I've included a fetching picture of me at the Canadian Pavillon. 

I have (thankfully, I expect) refrained from posting pictures of the Biennale art, or the food. BTW Wales also had an excellent sound installation in their pavilion; no audio interest except for the auditory experience, but that may be to their credit. 

Ciao a tutti. 

Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks for sharing, love the photos!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Interesting room design! I wonder how it sounds. I like the is uses more diffraction than absorption except some of these plywood structure can also serve as membrane absorbers for low frequencies. Maybe it could be an inspiration to my own new listening room design!
Thanks guys. The room was interesting, visually certainly, but the acoustic quality was quite surprising. I had not thought of the plywood as absorbing low frequencies, but whatever the physics, it was effective. And considering that the Biennale is a collection of very contemporary art installations, this room was absolutely 'plain vanilla' in comparison to everything else we saw. And it would be a great living room, I agree.

Brian Eno is one of the guests who will be using the room at some point this year; I wouldn't mind a return trip for that one.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Being a big Eno fan, that would certainly be fun!
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US