Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the Phantom still bad for a home theater?
Thanks for confirming! And in theory I should be able to play with multichannel later via VLC! Let’s see how I get on.
Argh. Catalina isn't properly supported yet.
(20-Feb-2020, 15:44)booshtukka Wrote: Argh. Catalina isn't properly supported yet.

I wouldn't give up hope.  The goal is definitely worth the effort.  The challenge is getting the audio stream into Dante.  If you don't want to deal with Devialet for the audinate adapters you can use from Micromedia (https://www.micromedia.ch/?portfolio=aes...interfaces).  I use these to get audio into Dante from Bluesound streamers in the bedrooms.  But they are bidirectional, meaning they can take Dante and convert it to optical.  Using Dante also gets around a limitation in the custom install mode for the reactors, which is their inability to select L/R channel in the optical stream.  Using Dante you can tell the adapters which channel to send to which reactor.  Let me know if you need more details.

Lastly, using the same family of phantoms for the home theater makes life much easier.  Unfortunately, I chose to mix Reactors and Premieres and it took me a bit to get everything in sync.  Its freaking amazing when I got it all working together. 

And if you want to spend a crazy amount of $$$ then pick up a processor from DataSat.  They will take the digital stream and convert it to Dante so you keep everything digital.   

Good Luck!
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
Thank you! I think I need to wait on Catalina support before the next step.

I have to assume more reasonably costing processors will be on their way later!
(22-Feb-2020, 21:01)booshtukka Wrote: Thank you! I think I need to wait on Catalina support before the next step.

Great information provided by @njaiswal.

Are you attempting to trial Dante because it meets your requirements or because you believe it is the only way to accommodate multi room/multi channel outside of the Devialet ecosystem?

Would you mind describing how you expect to use Dante? I.e. what are your audio components?
(22-Feb-2020, 16:05)njaiswal Wrote:
(20-Feb-2020, 15:44)booshtukka Wrote: Argh. Catalina isn't properly supported yet.

I wouldn't give up hope.  The goal is definitely worth the effort.  The challenge is getting the audio stream into Dante.  If you don't want to deal with Devialet for the audinate adapters you can use from Micromedia (https://www.micromedia.ch/?portfolio=aes...interfaces).  I use these to get audio into Dante from Bluesound streamers in the bedrooms.  But they are bidirectional, meaning they can take Dante and convert it to optical.  Using Dante also gets around a limitation in the custom install mode for the reactors, which is their inability to select L/R channel in the optical stream.  Using Dante you can tell the adapters which channel to send to which reactor.  Let me know if you need more details.

Lastly, using the same family of phantoms for the home theater makes life much easier.  Unfortunately, I chose to mix Reactors and Premieres and it took me a bit to get everything in sync.  Its freaking amazing when I got it all working together. 

And if you want to spend a crazy amount of $$$ then pick up a processor from DataSat.  They will take the digital stream and convert it to Dante so you keep everything digital.   

Good Luck!

Fascinating stuff.

Are you controlling all your audio via the previously mentioned audio processor? Or do you also connect to a pc for additional control etc?
(23-Feb-2020, 00:03)alandbush Wrote:
(22-Feb-2020, 16:05)njaiswal Wrote:

Good Luck!

Fascinating stuff.

Are you controlling all your audio via the previously mentioned audio processor? Or do you also connect to a pc for additional control etc?
No.  I have to Anthem processors that I'm using for the Home Theaters and Bluesound Node 2i streamers for the bedrooms and patio.  The Audinate XLR to Dante adapters are surprisingly good IMHO and I find the sound I'm getting from the Home Theaters to be better than what I hoped.  I'm in the process of getting Savant up and running to manage everything.  Right now Savant is only managing the Home Theaters.  I'm still trying to get it to integrate with my Symetrix Radius audio processor and the Bluesounds so I can use a single app to control the phantoms in the house.  I'm hoping that I can use Savant to also reconfigure the Dante network to allow me to do whole house audio (right now I manually adjust the Dante network through Dante controller).
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(23-Feb-2020, 01:49)njaiswal Wrote: I have to Anthem processors that I'm using for the Home Theaters...
About time you retire your ageing Anthems and go the Datasat Rs20i.   Tongue
(23-Feb-2020, 00:00)alandbush Wrote:
(22-Feb-2020, 21:01)booshtukka Wrote: Thank you! I think I need to wait on Catalina support before the next step.

Great information provided by @njaiswal.

Are you attempting to trial Dante because it meets your requirements or because you believe it is the only way to accommodate multi room/multi channel outside of the Devialet ecosystem?

Would you mind describing how you expect to use Dante? I.e. what are your audio components?

I am trying to trial Dante because I like messing with things and it sounds cool. Smile

I am frequently trying to get audio from one place to another. For example, DJing downstairs while trying to also send the output to my laptop to stream on the internet. That’s a good enough use case to start with.