Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
A Confused streaming system - Mutec / SOtM Ultra
@Confused - how are you powering the SOtM devices?
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
(26-Feb-2018, 14:55)Dan Wrote: @Confused - how are you powering the SOtM devices?

With SOtM's sPS-500, you can see it (together with "Y" cable) in the pictures on the previous page of this thread.  It's the one in the middle of the three SOtM items.  (although they all look pretty much identical)

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english...m/sps-500/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
Time for an update. Please note that I have also posted some of this to the very different audience on Computer Audiophile, so apologies to those who follow both forums. That said, I welcome the different insights I have received from participants on both forums, so there is good reason for me to do this

Anyway, last week was a busy one for me, I spent most of my time spent miles away from my system, with no time for listening. The SOtM kit has been kept powered up 24/7, and I have spent some time feeding it from Roon Radio. The hours are going on the kit. I also nearly got stuck in the snow that struck the UK last week, although some might say that serves me right for driving a large rear wheel drive car and ignoring the weather forecast, but never mind.

Unfortunately, this weekend I was also very busy with many things, but I did get time to for a couple of listening sessions. To be honest, my initial impression from last weekend is little changed. That said, I do have a bit more insight into what might be troubling me with the addition of the SOtM kit. Almost everything seems to be good, but to me the treble seems to be a little overemphasised, and has a slightly unpleasant 'glassy' characteristic to it. You could say a 'digital edge' is there that I do not think was apparent with the humble microRendu. Although one caveat here, this is a characteristic that seems far more apparent with some pieces of music. I am posting this now as an update, and to see if anyone perhaps has any insight into this aspect of the SOtM kit.

One thing does occur to me here, I note in the Steve Plaskin review of the Sonore Signature Rendu versus the SOtM ultra bundle he does refer to the microRendu's 'somewhat dark sound'.

https://www.audiostream.com/content/audi...re-vs-sotm

So maybe this is what I am experiencing? The change from this darker sound. Although maybe whatever this dark sound might be, perhaps it is something I happen to like or happens to suit my system, maybe it's just what I am used to, and it's my brain that needs more burn in time.

Meanwhile, I have a plan for this coming weekend. I will try feeding the MC3+USB with three combinations, the sMS-200Ultra with tX-USBultra, the microRendu on it's own, and the micrRendu with the tX-USBultra. Depending on how this works out, I could try the sMS-200Ultra without the tX-USBultra. This should give me some insight into what each component is bringing, or is taking away, from the end result. Maybe this will clarify matters? We time will tell.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused I always enjoy reading your posts and it amazes me the lengths you go to with your system. I learn a lot from your posts, keep up the good work.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi @Confused
are you using the REF10 when you hear the treble 'characteristic' of the SOtM gear? The 200 connects to the MC3?
My experience with the MC3 is that it lets through the 'sound' of the device on its input. I briefly tried a small laptop as Roon bridge while I waited for the mR 1.3->1.4 upgrade last summer. The laptop was clearly no match for the mR!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(05-Mar-2018, 14:16)ogs Wrote: Hi @Confused
are you using the  REF10 when you hear the treble 'characteristic' of the SOtM gear? The 200 connects to the MC3?
My experience with the MC3 is that it lets through the 'sound' of the device on its input. I briefly tried  a small laptop as Roon bridge while I waited for the mR 1.3->1.4 upgrade last summer. The laptop was clearly no match for the mR!

Yes I am, and I agree that the MC3+USB is transparent to what you feed it.  I tried mine with a mid-priced Pioneer Blu-ray player as a CD player, the end result was a clear step down from feeding it with the microRendu.  

Plus another thought, maybe there is something about the mR that I really like and maybe next weekend will prove to me that an mR to Ref10 driven MC3+USB is my own personal audio nirvana.  Then maybe it is the about to be discontinued mR 1.4 that I need, and if they are no longer available, I might have to offer you a fortune for yours!
(05-Mar-2018, 13:36)Confused Wrote: Although maybe whatever this dark sound might be, perhaps it is something I happen to like or happens to suit my system

Having heard few times the KEF Blade, Blade 2, and the most recently KEF Reference 5, I can say that these are all very revealing speakers. They are also slightly brighter than what I have got used to. Therefore I would probably prefer some slightly darker sounding front end with the KEFs. Maybe I also happen to like a slightly darker sound signature? Anyway, remember to keep the one that you like the most - it doesn't matter what others think Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Not necessarily overemphasised treble, as you described, but I also found treble a touch edgy with the SPS-500 as I already commented earlier. The sound is much smoother/natural with a linear power supply. Before you give up on the SMS-200 ultra (and maybe the tx-USB ultra) try to borrow a good quality 12V LPS. You might like everything better.
People on the CA forum also said that the SPS-500 is very sensitive to the quality of the power cables. I just didn't have enough extra PCs at to play around with but that may be a good first option for you.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(05-Mar-2018, 15:01)petrik Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 13:36)Confused Wrote: Although maybe whatever this dark sound might be, perhaps it is something I happen to like or happens to suit my system

Having heard few times the KEF Blade, Blade 2, and the most recently KEF Reference 5, I can say that these are all very revealing speakers. They are also slightly brighter than what I have got used to. Therefore I would probably prefer some slightly darker sounding front end with the KEFs. Maybe I also happen to like a slightly darker sound signature? Anyway, remember to keep the one that you like the most - it doesn't matter what others think Smile

Yes, I agree.  As an example, the Cyrus / KEF Blade 2 system that was demonstrated at the Bristol sound and vision show last weeks was about five times worse than the issue I am describing here, so it is all relative, and yes, the KEF Balde and Reference speakers can be a little ruthless in this regard.  

Plus, if after next weekends test I find the mR works best, it will stay!  The thing is, with the little bit of listening I managed today, there was something genuinely special about the SOtM kit, hidden layers in the bass emerging with incredibly natural and realistic drums, for example.  So I my fear is that next weekends test might be a mixed result.