Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
In my setup I‘m using Roon on a Synology NAS that directly streams to my Devi. Much improved sound over my hardware solutions:SOtM-SMS100, Raspi + allo-digione
Just now got the Roon Nucleus with an iPad 6th Gen. Ditched the Macbook Air.

What a difference it made ...

===============================================

- - I have the Roon Nucleus Ethernet going into a switch. The music files are on an Ext HDD plugged into Roon Nucleus using USB.
- - I have my WiFi Router going into the switch using ethernet.
- - I have my 440-Pro CI going into the switch using Ethernet [AQ Diamond].

Earlier, I had my Macbook Air direct to 440-Pro CI using an AQ Diamond. 

How can I achieve a direct cooection of the Roon Nucleus to the 440-Pro CI using just one Ethernet cable, i.e. AQ Diamond ?

Is there a way to get rid of the switch ?  My music files are on an External HDD plugged into the Roon Nucleus using USB.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(24-Oct-2018, 20:49)audio_engr Wrote: Just now got the Roon Nucleus with an iPad 6th Gen. Ditched the Macbook Air.

- - I have the Roon Nucleus Ethernet going into a switch. The music files are on an Ext HDD plugged into Roon Nucleus using USB.

How can I achieve a direct cooection of the Roon Nucleus to the 440-Pro CI using just one Ethernet cable, i.e. AQ Diamond ?

Is there a way to get rid of the switch ?  My music files are on an External HDD plugged into the Roon Nucleus using USB.

Some servers (Innuos, Antipodes CX and EX, maybe others) have 2 ethernet ports. one for connection to your LAN and one for connection to an end point which in your case would be the Devialet. They let you do what you want.

Unfortunately the Nucleus only has one ethernet port like my Antipodes DS. Roon needs an internet connection so you need to connect that port your LAN which is what connection to your switch does, and that means you can't connect it directly to the Devialet because the Devialet doesn't provide an internet connection to any device connected to it via ethernet. That means you, and I with my Antipodes DS, are stuck with having to connect both our server and our amp to a switch. We need something that allows Roon to connect to the internet and also to pass music to our amps and since we only have 1 ethernet port on our respective servers the only device I'm aware of that can function in that way is an ethernet switch.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(24-Oct-2018, 21:31)David A Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 20:49)audio_engr Wrote: Just now got the Roon Nucleus with an iPad 6th Gen. Ditched the Macbook Air.

Some servers (Innuos, Antipodes CX and EX, maybe others) have 2 ethernet ports. one for connection to your LAN and one for connection to an end point which in your case would be the Devialet. They let you do what you want.

Unfortunately the Nucleus only has one ethernet port like my Antipodes DS. Roon needs an internet connection so you need to connect that port your LAN which is what connection to your switch does, and that means you can't connect it directly to the Devialet because the Devialet doesn't provide an internet connection to any device connected to it via ethernet. That means you, and I with my Antipodes DS, are stuck with having to connect both our server and our amp to a switch. We need something that allows Roon to connect to the internet and also to pass music to our amps and since we only have 1 ethernet port on our respective servers the only device I'm aware of that can function in that way is an ethernet switch.

How about using a USB to Ethernet adaptor like this one on the incoming side?

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/startec...gzEALw_wcB
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Yes I believe some people are doing this, or trying. I’ve never tied so I can’t say but all this stuff just seems so subjective and so much extra hassle.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Oct-2018, 21:56)Pim Wrote: How about using a USB to Ethernet adaptor like this one on the incoming side?

Hadn't thought about something like that. My problem with it is that I, like a lot of us, are waiting for our Devialets to become Roon Ready so we can take advantage of RAAT and Roon uses RAAT between the server and a Roon Ready device it sees on the network and that means a device connected to the network by ethernet or wifi.

If I were to consider using the USB output on my server rather than the networked ethernet connection, I'd simply connect the USB server output to the Devialet's USB input. I've tried that and it works well but I prefer the sound I get with the network connection over the ethernet path. I could try an adapter but in terms of what happens along the signal path it just replaces a switch with an adapter and still doesn't give a direct path. If people like Innuos and Antipodes are right about a direct ethernet connection delivering better sound quality than a connection which passes through a switch, then why wouldn't we expect a direct USB connection to deliver better sound quality than a USB connection which passes through a USB to ethernet adapter and then connects to the amp via ethernet? I'm not saying that it can't deliver better sound quality but I am saying that it's not something I would expect based on my own very limited knowledge of the science and art of digital connections.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(24-Oct-2018, 23:44)David A Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 21:56)Pim Wrote: How about using a USB to Ethernet adaptor like this one on the incoming side?

Hadn't thought about something like that. My problem with it is that I, like a lot of us, are waiting for our Devialets to become Roon Ready so we can take advantage of RAAT and Roon uses RAAT between the server and a Roon Ready device it sees on the network and that means a device connected to the network by ethernet or wifi.

If I were to consider using the USB output on my server rather than the networked ethernet connection, I'd simply connect the USB server output to the Devialet's USB input. I've tried that and it works well but I prefer the sound I get with the network connection over the ethernet path. I could try an adapter but in terms of what happens along the signal path it just replaces a switch with an adapter and still doesn't give a direct path. If people like Innuos and Antipodes are right about a direct ethernet connection delivering better sound quality than a connection which passes through a switch, then why wouldn't we expect a direct USB connection to deliver better sound quality than a USB connection which passes through a USB to ethernet adapter and then connects to the amp via ethernet? I'm not saying that it can't deliver better sound quality but I am saying that it's not something I would expect based on my own very limited knowledge of the science and art of digital connections.

I meant using it on the incoming side. So when playing music off your HDD, the adaptor is only used for meta data.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(24-Oct-2018, 21:56)Pim Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 21:31)David A Wrote:

Roon Nucleus has only 1 Ethernet. And 2 USB 3.0

If I were to incorporate the USB-to-ETH converter, I would use it on the Roon Nucleus's USB and connect the Router to this. That would leave me the main Ethernet to feed the Devialet. 

Will this work ?
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(25-Oct-2018, 00:35)audio_engr Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 21:56)Pim Wrote:
(24-Oct-2018, 21:31)David A Wrote: Some servers (Innuos, Antipodes CX and EX, maybe others) have 2 ethernet ports. one for connection to your LAN and one for connection to an end point which in your case would be the Devialet. They let you do what you want.

If I were to incorporate the USB-to-ETH converter, I would use it on the Roon Nucleus's USB and connect the Router to this. That would leave me the main Ethernet to feed the Devialet. 

Will this work ?

I think we're threading into Roon forum territory now. I wouldn't be surprised the question is already answered there.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(25-Oct-2018, 01:36)Pim Wrote:
(25-Oct-2018, 00:35)audio_engr Wrote:

Will this work ?

I think we're threading into Roon forum territory now. I wouldn't be surprised the question is already answered there.

I just realised that I used a USB-to-ETH adapter made by Apple when I used my Macbook Air as a source hence quickly inserted the USB into the Roon Nucleus and the Ethernet cable into the adapter from the router. The Audioquest Diamond moved directly to the Roon Nucleus and feeds the Devialets. 

Indeed - it works and does so well ... no hitches !!

I will need to evaluate whether this DIRECT Ethernet connection is preferred vs. via the switch ... (will let you guys know in a few days) 

Thanks to ALL for the great-great support !!