Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches - The new generation
(19-Sep-2020, 18:10)supaDean Wrote: This is an interesting thread! I recently installed a mid-range audiophile ethernet switch into my setup, and was pleasantly surprised. The lower frequencies have a bit more punch and my noise floor is dead silent. I acquired the switch primarily for when I stream hi-res Tidal. And, I also happened to need an ethernet switch for the computers in the house. Cheers.

Can you share which switch did you install?
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
    NETWORK EQUIPMENT IN DIGITAL AUDIO AND VIBRATION

Network switches in hi-fi systems - in this case the M12 SWITCH Magic - are very sensitive for vibration. 

Most audiophiles do not realize that network switches, especially those in close proximity to the main hi-fi rig, should be treated with the same attention to vibration as any other high quality digital audio component. In fact, during our listening trials, we've found the impact of anti-vibration footers under the M12 SWITCH Magic to be greater than under a DAC. 

This simple tweak, quite unexpectedly, boosted the performance to the sound quality level that was possible to achieve only with the ultimate network switch; M12 SWITCH GOLD.
I've 2 x IsoAcoustics OREA Graphite (their smallest footer) under my etherREGEN and a pair of Shakti On-Lines on top.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
i guess maybe this was already discussed. those running 1gb network and etheRegen, down shift to 100mbps, and you have drop outs... please try turning off FlowControl on the client's or not sure if EtheRegen can also turn it off.

If flow control is on, and if it "overshoot" since 1gbps is much faster than 100mbps data flow, it will "pause" as part of the "feature" of flow control.

Maybe this helps for those facing drop offs..etc.
(02-Nov-2020, 17:22)audio_engr Wrote: I've 2 x IsoAcoustics OREA Graphite (their smallest footer) under my etherREGEN and a pair of Shakti On-Lines on top.

Hi, did you find that the OREAs under the etherREGEN made a difference? Thanks.
Roksan TMS3 - Vertere arm and motor drive - Dynavector XV1 - Devialet 440 pro - AQ NRG Z3 power cables - Sonictransport i5 - AQ Diamond - etherRegen - isoacoustic Oreas -  Sonus Faber Olympica 3s
Hi, an engineer recently opened the Aqvox switch and came to a devastating verdict:
No new clock
No changes to the original D-Link
Just a little black encapsulation (which is difficult to remove)
I wonder where should  the sound increase etc. come from !! Angry

Big Grin So it looks like the test in hifi magazines did not fail!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
@K4680 - Do you know if this was the original AQVOX switch or the later "SE" version, which was released maybe two years ago?

I bought the original AQVOX switch back in 2017. At first I thought it was maybe doing something positive, albeit only just. Later, after much A/B testing, I eventually decided it was not doing anything positive and I sent it back for a refund. There are a few posts around the link below that detail this story at the time.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-AQVox-AQ...2#pid61252

In fairness to AQVOX, they did honour their 30 day money back trial offer and refunded the purchase price in full "no questions asked", but assuming the above is accurate, it is rather shocking.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-Dec-2020, 13:52)K4680 Wrote: Hi, an engineer recently opened the Aqvox switch and came to a devastating verdict:
No new clock
No changes to the original D-Link
Just a little black encapsulation (which is difficult to remove)
I wonder where should  the sound increase etc. come from !! Angry

I am not surprised. Many of the audiophile switches were minor modifications of standard switches.  Some changed a capacitor or two, others replaced the power supply.  Many charged ridiculous prices!  I became a skeptic.

When I heard about the Uptone EtherRegen (ER) and read about the long gestation period required for a new design, I decided to give it a go.  At least I was buying a product with significant R&D, not one with minor tweaks.  I bought as a skeptic looking to use the no questions asked money back guarantee.  The ER made a difference and I kept it.  However, I will not try other more expensive audiophile switches because many are minor tweaks.  

Note this minor tweaking and charging lots of money is common with other audiophile gear. eg. a very expensive ethernet cable had an added magnetic clamp and a nice looking external sheath.  As long as people are willing to pay, there will always be expensive products based on minor tweaks...
I will try to explain a little better what my experiences are with the EtherRegen and various power supplies and audioquest powercables.

Below you will find my review to Mattijs from Farad Super 3. (using google translate, sorry)

Dear Mattijs,

As promised I would let you know how I like my Farads Super 3.

To summarize: great, the best upgrade I've done in years, the farads are in the more expensive segment, but well worth it.

Years ago I started using ifi IPowers on modem, router and Tp-link switch. That improved. Then to 3 pieces of S-boosters BOTW MK1, which was certainly another step forward. This replaced by the MK 2 versions when they came out and again a small improvement.

At the time the EtherRegen came out, i ordered and had it from the first deliveries. This replaced the Tp-link switch with exceptionally good results. The original uptone smps switch supplied with the EtherRegen, however, sounded better than the S-booster MK2, even when it was upgraded with a synergistic research orange fuse.

So for the EtherRegen after reading the reviews, i bought the Paul Hynes SR4T. That was a big step forward and with the orange fuse in it, even better.

However, it kept gnawing whether the Farad super 3 could be even better, so ordered the farad 12V with level 2 DC cable and put the orange fuse in it to make the comparison with the SR4T. The difference was immediately apparent and after anticipating the choice was ultimately clear for the farad super 3. The tranquility, the beautiful full middle, beautifully layered and tight lows, detailed highs and great resolution, together with the live feeling were the deciding factors. Actually the “high-end” feeling that everyone strives for, but this is difficult for me to describe.

The build quality of the farads is also top. You just have to look at the fuseholders. Then also for modem and router, bought the Farads super 3, placed orange fuses in it, with a step up there (router the most) compared to the S-boosters BOTW MK2.

I also had the opportunity to test 3 different Audioquest powercords on the farads for a long time. They make significant differences. The Z3's sound great, the Monsoons the best, and Blizzards didn't like the farads in my system. (The blizzard sound very good to my niagara 1200.)

For optimal results, a play-in time of 3 weeks, preferably longer then 4 weeks, is necessary for everything.

Thanks to the 3 pieces Farads super 3 with level 2 cables, orange fuses and the EtherRegen, I can now immediately observe and place every change of ethernet and power cables etc., absolutely great. I am very happy that I took that step, thank you also for your kindness and good advice. With friendly greetings
(14-Dec-2020, 10:00)Confused Wrote: @K4680 - Do you know if this was the original AQVOX switch or the later "SE" version, which was released maybe two years ago?

I bought the original AQVOX switch back in 2017.  At first I thought it was maybe doing something positive, albeit only just.  Later, after much A/B testing, I eventually decided it was not doing anything positive and I sent it back for a refund.  There are a few posts around the link below that detail this story at the time.

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-AQVox-AQ...2#pid61252

In fairness to AQVOX, they did honour their 30 day money back trial offer and refunded the purchase price in full "no questions asked", but assuming the above is accurate, it is rather shocking.

Hi Confused, no „SE“ but V1! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria