Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best streaming solution
Hi,
I’m waiting for my new D200 in a couple of days, I’d like to ask you, in term of sound quality, which is the best configuration for streaming wifi files (sd and hd) from a qnap NAS to the Devialet.
- roon on the nas using the d200 as endpoint
- asset/minimserver/ jriver/..... on the nas using upnp input of the d200
I’ve also an iMac but I prefer a solution (if possible) without switch on the mac
Thank you, Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
(29-Sep-2018, 16:01)Paperman Wrote: Hi,
I’m waiting for my new D200 in a couple of days, I’d like to ask you, in term of sound quality, which is the best configuration for streaming wifi files (sd and hd) from a qnap NAS to the Devialet.
- roon on the nas using the d200 as endpoint
- asset/minimserver/ jriver/..... on the nas using upnp input of the d200
I’ve also an iMac but I prefer a solution (if possible) without switch on the mac
Thank you, Alberto

Hi, and welcome to DC!
I have a Mac running Roon and a QNAP NAS with all of my music files on. I have everything hooked up, via a switch, by Ethernet to the Devialet . Sound quality is fantastic and operationally it is very stable with no dropouts at all, and you won’t need to bother with asset/minimserver/JRiver. Just Roon Air. You would need to switch the Mac on though.
If your NAS is powerful enough to run Roon, then this is probably your best bet. Hook everything up using Ethernet, no need to run the Mac, and use something like an iPad as remote control. I used to use JRiver myself, but once you’ve used Roon, there is no substitute IMHO.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
And if your NAS is not powerful enough go get a NUC and run Roon Rock on it.

You can still access all your files on the NAS.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Thank you Axel and baddog,
if I understand well, I can use my NAS (with roon server) connected with the Devialet by ethernet, but.... There is also a wifi options? 
I mean: If I connect the NAS to my wireless point (airport express) is it possibile to stream roon in wifi to the D200?
Or the only option is AIR but I have to run it on a Mac/PC?
Alberto
Wilson Benesch Circle>Shelter 301 II | Devialet LE 200 | Roon>ROCK>NUC7i3 | Wilson Benesch Square Two | Sennheiser HD6XX
- Italy -
You can use wifi if the quality of your wifi environment is good. Most of us use ethernet as that has better stability. There is no difference in sound quality (actually wifi may sound a tad better due to lack of a physical connection between the Roon core computer and your amp/network switch), but you may have dropouts on higher resolutions over wifi. Roon RAAT will come to Devialet Expert amps with the CI board installed. In your case you'd have to upgrade to a 220 Pro CI to get that. With AIR (as Roon uses with your 200) the streaming is less robust than RAAT.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Is your NAS currently connected via ethernet? If so I would advise retaining the ethernet connection.

Also as you can run a trial of Roon for example, you can try using the QNAp with Roon installed and determine if it is able to stream your music files, including the high definition ones to your D200 without any dropouts prior to investing in any additional hardware.

In my case both my NUC and Devialet are connected via ethernet. I did try using Roon on my Synology NAS and while it worked, the performance for some tasks (such as indexing files, etc) was much slower than running it on a NUC or a Mac. However the was a reflection of the CPU/Memory in my NAS.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
D200 just arrive...
In the following days I will try these options:
- Roon on NAS Qnap ts328 (with one ssd dedicated for core only)>Airport Express ))) D200
- Roon server on iMac>Airport Express ))) D200
- Roon server on headless dedicated macmini>Airport Express ))) D200

>means ethernet connection
))) means wifi connection

can you explain in which configuration I need to use AIR?
What could be your preferred options?
Thank you
Alberto
- Italy -
All three. Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

yes I understand, the question is: if I use the iMac, I have to install the software Devialet AIR or is integrated in the Roon Server software?
Again, if both options are correct, there are differences in term of SQ?
Thank you.
- Italy -
Lots of Roon people here, but I've never used Roon and never saw any need to do so.

I've used Minimserve on a QNAP TS451 (non-SSD) ethernet wired through to the Expert and control it from a phone or tablet using MConnect HD or Bubble uPnP. Works perfectly and sounds great. Those apps are Devialet's two recommended options.

The most important thing is to have a wired ethernet connection. WiFi is just asking for trouble. My modem is in my office, as is my QNAP, I then have about 25m CAT cable to an access point (ASUS RT-N66) that connects to the Devialet, TV, etc.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.