Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any in depth Reactor reviews or users here?
(10-Dec-2018, 06:54)fgleason Wrote: Waiski Could you measure 20hz - 20khz @ 75db. Would be interesting to see.
Nice! Surprisingly good.

Could you put distortion visible. 75db and 85db.

Also listenin spot measurement would be interesting to see.
(10-Dec-2018, 12:21)Waiski Wrote:
(10-Dec-2018, 06:54)fgleason Wrote: Waiski Could you measure 20hz - 20khz @ 75db. Would be interesting to see.
Nice! Surprisingly good.

Could you put distortion visible. 75db and 85db.

Also listenin spot measurement would be interesting to see.

I think with the room modes visible on the graphs between 40-300hz and clearly audible to me I'm going to stop posting graphs and let someone better equipped post professional graphs.
fgleason, LOL. I was actually surprised you came back the first time and responded with more graphs as one good graph begets 10 more questions.Smile No good deed goes.... Kidding aside, Thanks.
(08-Dec-2018, 02:27)fgleason Wrote:
(08-Dec-2018, 01:45)MountainGuy Wrote: I'd love to read some reviews on the Reactor - as to how it compares to the regular full sized Phantoms. Any out there? 

Or has any received theirs here? 

Thanks.

I got mine today. I'm very impressed. Usually I can pick out flaws very quickly. Obviously a mono speaker playing a stereo signal can be a little muddled but given that it's really good so far. It's going to take longer to come up with a better review.
I got mine a month ago. It seems to open up after a week or so; it sounds very similar (in mono) to a (mono) phantom gold. I would say a 90% similar sound. I goes down just as low to my hear. 
The bass has the same speed and "muscle" (low fat bass I would say). But the big advantage is : it sounds just as good in a large room, on an outside terrace, near the swimming pool,  or on upclose on my desk when I listen at very low volume while reading or working. 
When I listen outside on a terrace with no room reflection, at a realistic volume, a small jazz band just seems to be there playing for me. The saxophone listened to a realistic volume is really impressive: close your eyes it is there...

https://open.spotify.com/track/5P3XPiPHn...5pj_jKuXgw
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
Just heard a 900 in the local shop. What to say? Well, it looks good and mids are really amazing! (don't know how they did it with such a small single speaker), very clean, open sound..... however, the bass was a long way from my Silver (even if the mids on the reactor sounded better). Of course one cannot expect the reactor to have the same "creamy" and wide bass as the larger phantoms, but it was infact much less than I expected after all the hype. Beautiful clean sound yes, but some bass was lacking.

It was a new unit, so it was not broken in yet and was only connected via bluetooth, but still it was obvious that the bass is lacking. But for what it is, impressive. Would I sell my silver and get 2 stereo reactors instead (as i was planing) not so sure anymore, + price is much too high. Two 900´s is more than one gold.

What do you people think?
It has been a month now since I am enjoying the Reactor, essentially with CD/Hi-res audio source files using Audirvana. I just moved for work, leaving a pair of Atohm GT3 behind so I neeeeded some good sound, hence the reactor.

- For the size, the low end part of the spectrum, the bass is absolutely stunning. Powerful, fast, precise for sure.
- I feel a real sound quality gain using Network streaming over Bluetooth.
- I am a bit less enthusiastic on the medium, they might be drowned by the bass... Especially female voices on Jazz tracks in the presence of a contrabass... I don't really know if that's just a perceived sensation.
- Room correction? Certainly due to its location (near two walls in an angle), I had a really bad resonating low-frequency that disappears when placing the speaker right in the middle of the room... not co convenient. Sadly, I had to use a software equalizer and reduce the 80Hz frequency at -5dB!! Now it's way better.
- I really miss the openness of stereo speaker, so I guess we'll wait for Devialet to release this feature. Any idea on how it would work without the dialog hub via UPnP/AirPlay?

Another comment: The listening conditions in stores are really bad and detrimental to the product.
Mangeurdpommes,

Your critique of the mids hghis something I've heard from others. I think it is a matter of physics. Devialet is pushing the boundaries of speaker design. But when they came out with a 40mm sized driver to produce the mids and trebles/highs, I was surprised. I am not surprised that the mids may be a bit recessed. I thought perhaps a 50mm or even 60mm driver would be better. I have a speaker with a 90mm driver that produces beautiful, fast articulate trebles so it is possible. However, I assume that they used 40mm driver due to space constraints.
(10-Jan-2019, 20:17)MountainGuy Wrote: Mangeurdpommes,

Your critique of the mids hghis something I've heard from others.  I think it is a matter of physics. Devialet is pushing the boundaries of speaker design. But when they came out with a 40mm sized driver to produce the mids and trebles/highs, I was surprised.  I am not surprised that the mids may be a bit recessed. I thought perhaps a 50mm or even 60mm driver would be better. I have a speaker with a 90mm driver that produces beautiful, fast articulate trebles so it is possible. However, I assume that they used 40mm driver due to space constraints.

My experience is different, when i heard the 900 I actually found the mids and highs to be very detailed, in fact a lot better than my Silver Ph. 
I am not sure how they managed to do that with a 40mm driver? but sounded good to me.
(07-Jan-2019, 19:32)ChalleB Wrote: Just heard a 900 in the local shop. What to say? Well, it looks good and mids are really amazing! (don't know how they did it with such a small single speaker), very clean, open sound..... however, the bass was a long way from my Silver (even if the mids on the reactor sounded better). Of course one cannot expect the reactor to have the same "creamy" and wide bass as the larger phantoms, but it was infact much less than I expected after all the hype. Beautiful clean sound yes, but some bass was lacking.

It was a new unit, so it was not broken in yet and was only connected via bluetooth, but still it was obvious that the bass is lacking. But for what it is, impressive. Would I sell my silver and get 2 stereo reactors instead (as i was planing) not so sure anymore, + price is much too high. Two 900´s is more than one gold.

It is not advisable to draw conclusions from listening via bluetooth, and from an unknown audio file...
When sometimes a friend comes home and wants to listen from his phone via bluetooth a bad mp3, the sound of my reactor becomes so bad: garbage in, garbage out, this is the law of digital audio !
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac
(07-Jan-2019, 19:32)ChalleB Wrote: Just heard a 900 in the local shop. What to say? Well, it looks good and mids are really amazing! (don't know how they did it with such a small single speaker), very clean, open sound..... however, the bass was a long way from my Silver (even if the mids on the reactor sounded better). Of course one cannot expect the reactor to have the same "creamy" and wide bass as the larger phantoms, but it was infact much less than I expected after all the hype. Beautiful clean sound yes, but some bass was lacking.

You cannot draw any conclusion from listening via bluetooth !
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac