Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions, questions & questions! New 220pro
(10-Jan-2019, 21:13)yabaVR Wrote:
(10-Jan-2019, 09:10)Pim Wrote: Before you get into cables, watch this:

http://audiofi.net/2019/01/audio-enginee...-on-wires/

Make of it what you wish but I would rather spend ten hours on setting up my speakers and chair right than work 5 hours to pay for a 'better' cable.

The following is the copy/paste of a comment on the page under the link. Nothing to add from my side. The guy doing the test is completely clueless:

"I always get a kick out of one idiot trying to claim everyone else is the same. Stuff like this ruins the reputation of science – real science.

Boys and girls, science begins with an observation. We can talk all about the circumstances and reliability of that observation, but it begins there nonetheless. If I hear a consistent difference between cables in a stereo system – and YES, I do and so do others, at least with some cables… and YES in double blind listening tests… then we make a hypothesis to test. If that hypothesis is that there is a voltage difference in the cable to account for the sound difference, well the null test described above strongly suggests that our hypothesis is not correct. But it does not DISPROVE the observation. We have to come up with another hypothesis and test again… and round and round it goes. Science, by the way, rarely “proves,” but instead builds evidence. The evidence here does nothing to prove or disprove whether I hear a difference in cables. The absurdity goes further, because the actual claim is that “all wires sound the same.” I don’t know about you, but I don’t listen to cables with an oscilloscope, and I sure as hell don’t plug them into my tympanic membranes. Cables are part of a much larger system that can only be “heard” as a whole after that electrical crap is transduced to an entirely different form of energy at the speaker. Sorry, but we haven’t proven anything here except that we can’t show a measurable electrical difference between whatever cables he tested"

gui

Having lunch today there was a lady behind my wife having a very intensive conversation with an empty Coca Cola bottle. I don't know how science is ever going to be able to measure what she was hearing but to her it was definitely real.  Huh

All I know is, and I know that with 100% confidence, that a proper setup in a good room outperforms any cable at any price on a not so well setup system. Get the room and setup right first, then play with cables if you wish.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Jan-2019, 11:21)Gerronwithit Wrote: Might as well just buy Roon. That way you can get access to all of your music as long as it is on your LAN. My Devialet is connected via Ethernet to my router and Roon runs from my MacBook Air. I only use Tidal these days as I got fed up with having stuff on a NAS. The only limitation is having to have Roon open on the MacBook to access it, say, from my iPad or iPhone. Maybe a Roon nucleus would resolve that at a price. Depending on what speakers you use, these might be SAM’d so check that out and configure it on your 220 and give it a try.

In purchasing my Devialet I was trying to get to the optimum sound with the minimum of hardware and complexity. This is as simple a route as you could get but not necessarily achieving the absolute capability of your system, but it will get you firing on all cylinders very quickly and satisfactorily.

Thanks for the SAM note - yup - have enabled SAM for my speakers. I am in complete agreement with your philosophy of optimum sound with minimum complexity - so so important and is exactly what I'm striving for - do not want extra components, reclockers. Want to have a simple setup that just works and is stable. The big issue is currently trying to get AIR to function through ethernet. I think I've given up on AIR functioning over wifi! Would love for anyone who has AIR over wifi working to help a brother out. 
So far what I've done
I've installed Devialet AIR on my mac and it's showing properly on my audio midi config window.
In Expert Configurator: 
enabled the ethernet option
dhcp - on and let it have whatever options it has (not tinkered around with it); haven't changed anything in special modes
Ensured the other things on configurator specific to speaker/ sam are correct - save the file into the sd card
Question - I bought a used unit and the SD card had a bunch of stuff in it outside of the cfg txt file - should I be formatting the SD card and just load the configurator text file on it?

Got the ethernet cable hooked between the devialet and my router. When I log into my mac and go to the devialet air menu, I find a DEVIALET-ETH entry showing up - but upon clicking it, it keeps blinking every 10-15 seconds (shows an IP address and then apparently loses connection). 
I have the preferred output path selected to the Devialet AIR through my audio midi, but can't seem to get any audio going out.

Is there something I need to be doing with the router? Do I need to give the devialet a fixed IP? Is Devialet support/ customer care helpful? Really a bit lost. In the interim,have usb and airplay options working so I managed to hear some hi-res songs last night thru USB - but I definitely do want AIR as my primary transport layer. Any advice? Sad
Would Roon be much easier to manage the AIR transport layer? The Devialet would still probably need to be connected through ethernet to my router for a stable Roon AIR connection (should I choose to buy Roon - correct?)

Lesson #1: You actually need to select the ports in the "Expert Configurator" page and make them light up - it wasn't immediately apparent! I just thought that some of them were dim 'cos there were no configuration options/ details to tweak in them! Perhaps I'm just a dimwit too - very possible! I had optical (to my TV) not work because of that all day yesterday!
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

Power path: Wall outlet > Shunyata Delta power cable > Devialet 220 pro
(11-Jan-2019, 20:15)zambie Wrote: Question - I bought a used unit and the SD card had a bunch of stuff in it outside of the cfg txt file - should I be formatting the SD card and just load the configurator text file on it?

Yes. Get everything off the card but the cfg.txt file. Here's a link to a 'how to'

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method

Is there something I need to be doing with the router? Do I need to give the devialet a fixed IP? Is Devialet support/ customer care helpful? Really a bit lost. In the interim,have usb and airplay options working so I managed to hear some hi-res songs last night thru USB - but I definitely do want AIR as my primary transport layer. Any advice? Sad
Would Roon be much easier to manage the AIR transport layer? The Devialet would still probably need to be connected through ethernet to my router for a stable Roon AIR connection (should I choose to buy Roon - correct?)

DHCP usually works but some have better luck with a fixed IP address. Roon has come up with their own version of AIR. It just works. There's nothing more to say about it. If you go the Roon way, all you will end up doing is listen to music. The tinkering will be a thing of the past.

You can either use a router in between with Roon or go direct but that's a bit more complicated. Stick with the router for now.

Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Jan-2019, 20:59)Pim Wrote:
(11-Jan-2019, 20:15)zambie Wrote: Question - I bought a used unit and the SD card had a bunch of stuff in it outside of the cfg txt file - should I be formatting the SD card and just load the configurator text file on it?

Yes. Get everything off the card but the cfg.txt file. Here's a link to a 'how to'

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method

DHCP usually works but some have better luck with a fixed IP address. Roon has come up with their own version of AIR. It just works. There's nothing more to say about it. If you go the Roon way, all you will end up doing is listen to music. The tinkering will be a thing of the past.

You can either use a router in between with Roon or go direct but that's a bit more complicated. Stick with the router for now.

Awesome writeup that Pim! That should be pinned; bookmarked it - will take a look once I get home today. Immediate focus is to try and get AIR to work through ethernet. 

Tinkering for later: 
  • Whether Roon is a good option for Music mgmt/ player
  • Figuring out music upsampling and impact on SQ
  • Whether to use a Music Server/ streamer solution instead of storing music on my mac/ external hdd and best transport path to the devialet
  • Power cable/ conditioning
  • Other cables
Signal path: Macbook Pro (Qobuz/ Vox Player) > Router > CAT 8 Ethernet > Devialet 220 pro > Shunyata Delta speaker cables > Wilson Sabrina speakers

**SOLVED**
Managed to get Devialet AIR through ethernet working with my mac.
@Pim @Gerronwithit @David A - thanks for setting me on my way! Pim - special thanks for referring me to your thread on doing configs the right way ... did away with all of the redundant files, reset my router to factory and stood up my wireless, restarted the devialet and my mac .... all's working like a car right out of service!
Looking forward to the interactions here!!

(12-Jan-2019, 02:06)zambie Wrote: **SOLVED**
Managed to get Devialet AIR through ethernet working with my mac.
@Pim @Gerronwithit @David A - thanks for setting me on my way! Pim - special thanks for referring me to your thread on doing configs the right way ... did away with all of the redundant files, reset my router to factory and stood up my wireless, restarted the devialet and my mac .... all's working like a car right out of service!
Looking forward to the interactions here!!

Awesome!
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Jan-2019, 20:15)zambie Wrote:
(10-Jan-2019, 11:21)Gerronwithit Wrote: Might as well just buy Roon. That way you can get access to all of your music as long as it is on your LAN. My Devialet is connected via Ethernet to my router and Roon runs from my MacBook Air. I only use Tidal these days as I got fed up with having stuff on a NAS. The only limitation is having to have Roon open on the MacBook to access it, say, from my iPad or iPhone. Maybe a Roon nucleus would resolve that at a price. Depending on what speakers you use, these might be SAM’d so check that out and configure it on your 220 and give it a try.

In purchasing my Devialet I was trying to get to the optimum sound with the minimum of hardware and complexity. This is as simple a route as you could get but not necessarily achieving the absolute capability of your system, but it will get you firing on all cylinders very quickly and satisfactorily.

Thanks for the SAM note - yup - have enabled SAM for my speakers. I am in complete agreement with your philosophy of optimum sound with minimum complexity - so so important and is exactly what I'm striving for - do not want extra components, reclockers. Want to have a simple setup that just works and is stable. The big issue is currently trying to get AIR to function through ethernet. I think I've given up on AIR functioning over wifi! Would love for anyone who has AIR over wifi working to help a brother out. 
So far what I've done
I've installed Devialet AIR on my mac and it's showing properly on my audio midi config window.
In Expert Configurator: 
dhcp - on and let it have whatever options it has (not tinkered around with it); haven't changed anything in special modes
Ensured the other things on configurator specific to speaker/ sam are correct - save the file into the sd card
Question - I bought a used unit and the SD card had a bunch of stuff in it outside of the cfg txt file - should I be formatting the SD card and just load the configurator text file on it?

Got the ethernet cable hooked between the devialet and my router. When I log into my mac and go to the devialet air menu, I find a DEVIALET-ETH entry showing up - but upon clicking it, it keeps blinking every 10-15 seconds (shows an IP address and then apparently loses connection). 
I have the preferred output path selected to the Devialet AIR through my audio midi, but can't seem to get any audio going out.

Lesson #1: You actually need to select the ports in the "Expert Configurator" page and make them light up - it wasn't immediately apparent! I just thought that some of them were dim 'cos there were no configuration options/ details to tweak in them! Perhaps I'm just a dimwit too - very possible! I had optical (to my TV) not work because of that all day yesterday!

I run TIDAL -> AIR over wifi on my MacBook Air with zero dropouts, and according to the router software, no lost packets. Needs the occasional reset after a long session. This took repositioning the router to have a direct line of sight to the Devialet (I have a 140 Pro).  The aluminum cover over the antenna doesn't help much, and luckily my unit is also hardwired for ethernet, so I have the option down the line to switch.  Just not so sure about the quality of the cabling in the wall, so on.

For AIR to work consistently over wifi, Devialet claims you need a signal strength of -55dbm or higher, which is basically saying you need the router sitting on top of the amp.  Luckily my router software lists signal strength, and through experimentation, I've been able to keep the connection at around -65dbm.  If I hide the router for aesthetics, this drops to -75dbm or lower, which sometimes works.  The amp still shows 44.1hz when streaming TIDAL Master (first unfold) when it should really be 88.2 as I've seen through Roon.  

I'm happy keeping it wifi as it means one less cable in my very simple system. To get wifi to work, you either need a monster of a router (think Ubiquti, etc.) that will display the signal strength of connected devices, or simply proximity and some tinkering.  Keep your laptop and the Devialet on the 5ghz radio and everything else on the 2.4 radio, and knock the strength of the 2.4 radio down a bit.  I noticed dropped packets when using 2.4. 

If anyone knows of a router on the market with software that lists the signal strength of connected devices, please let me know!  I'm looking for that -55dbm moment.
(03-Feb-2019, 11:46)awkaplan Wrote:
(11-Jan-2019, 20:15)zambie Wrote:

So far what I've done
In Expert Configurator: 

I run TIDAL -> AIR over wifi on my MacBook Air with zero dropouts, and according to the router software, no lost packets. Needs the occasional reset after a long session. This took repositioning the router to have a direct line of sight to the Devialet (I have a 140 Pro).  The aluminum cover over the antenna doesn't help much, and luckily my unit is also hardwired for ethernet, so I have the option down the line to switch.  Just not so sure about the quality of the cabling in the wall, so on.

For AIR to work consistently over wifi, Devialet claims you need a signal strength of -55dbm or higher, which is basically saying you need the router sitting on top of the amp.  Luckily my router software lists signal strength, and through experimentation, I've been able to keep the connection at around -65dbm.  If I hide the router for aesthetics, this drops to -75dbm or lower, which sometimes works.  The amp still shows 44.1hz when streaming TIDAL Master (first unfold) when it should really be 88.2 as I've seen through Roon.  

I'm happy keeping it wifi as it means one less cable in my very simple system. To get wifi to work, you either need a monster of a router (think Ubiquti, etc.) that will display the signal strength of connected devices, or simply proximity and some tinkering.  Keep your laptop and the Devialet on the 5ghz radio and everything else on the 2.4 radio, and knock the strength of the 2.4 radio down a bit.  I noticed dropped packets when using 2.4. 

If anyone knows of a router on the market with software that lists the signal strength of connected devices, please let me know!  I'm looking for that -55dbm moment.

I probably mentioned elsewhere that I use my Devialet to drive the front speakers of my AV system. This means that I have all my gear on a single very heavy stand but reasonably unobtrusive as you can only see functional devices with everything else including router, switch and God knows what else hiding behind the 65” tv. Admittedly, the D3s are not visually subtle either. 

However, am a little puzzled with your router issues. I use a Sky router with an attached switch. The Devialet is connected via Ethernet to the router and that is how my music is received. Control of the music is via Roon on my MacBook Air which itself is connected via WiFi to the outside world and the Devialet. This is utterly transparent  and requires no understanding of or tinkering with routers. The AV system works via Line 1 connected from the AV amp which itself has an Ethernet connection to the router or switch (I can’t remember which). I just have to remember to turn on Line1 when using the tv.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(03-Feb-2019, 13:46)Gerronwithit Wrote:
(03-Feb-2019, 11:46)awkaplan Wrote:
(11-Jan-2019, 20:15)zambie Wrote: Thanks for the SAM note - yup - have enabled SAM for my speakers. I am in complete agreement with your philosophy of optimum sound with minimum complexity - so so important and is exactly what I'm striving for - do not want extra components, reclockers. Want to have a simple setup that just works and is stable. The big issue is currently trying to get AIR to function through ethernet. I think I've given up on AIR functioning over wifi! Would love for anyone who has AIR over wifi working to help a brother out. 
So far what I've done
In Expert Configurator: 

I probably mentioned elsewhere that I use my Devialet to drive the front speakers of my AV system. This means that I have all my gear on a single very heavy stand but reasonably unobtrusive as you can only see functional devices with everything else including router, switch and God knows what else hiding behind the 65” tv. Admittedly, the D3s are not visually subtle either. 

However, am a little puzzled with your router issues. I use a Sky router with an attached switch. The Devialet is connected via Ethernet to the router and that is how my music is received. Control of the music is via Roon on my MacBook Air which itself is connected via WiFi to the outside world and the Devialet. This is utterly transparent  and requires no understanding of or tinkering with routers. The AV system works via Line 1 connected from the AV amp which itself has an Ethernet connection to the router or switch (I can’t remember which). I just have to remember to turn on Line1 when using the tv.

My apologies, just some commmentary from the WiFi/WiFi Air community :-).   Considering WiFi/Eth but so far so...tolerable.