Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subwoofer?
Hi guys,

First post here. I’m tempted to get a Devialet for my KEF LS50 as I heard they are great match. SAM technology of Devialet can push LS50 to have deeper bass down to 30HZ? In the mean time I’m thinking getting a REL T9i subwoofer for LS50. Is it still necessary?
Hard to say. Depends on how much bass you like. I’d say try it without the added sub 1st to see how the devialet does on the SAM with your ls50’s. And decide for yourself if it’s good enough. I have ls50s for my HT setup and Run dual SVS subs for HT. When I 1st got my devialet before my Focals floor standers arrived I ran just the ls50s (no subs) for a few days and I was satisfied. But I will say now that my Focals are hooked to my d200, I definitely get more base from my Focals than I did with the ls50s.

Mike
@Georgios - this might interest you:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/k...ings-r768/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I recently added a REL T7i to my 220 + PMC25.23 system, and it makes a significant contribution to bass evenness. With SAM engaged, the speakers go as low as the sub, so extension was not my problem. It's the fact that from measurement, I know that I have a GIGANTIC wide + deep suck-out at 50Hz. By being in just the right place near the corner, the sub is able to fill that in, with a much smoother bass response graph.

So the success of a sub might depend more on the 'nulls' in your room. Also, getting the time-alignment right took weeks, and I found that the SAM% setting had a critical effect on the smoothness of the response (due to phase relationships), finally ending up with 25% as the best.

Don't forget that once you engage SAM, you can't use REL's High-Level connections from the speaker terminals.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
[quote='JohnnySix' pid='81336' dateline='1548074421']
I recently added a REL T7i to my 220 + PMC25.23 system, and it makes a significant contribution to bass evenness.  With SAM engaged, the speakers go as low as the sub, so extension was not my problem. It's the fact that from measurement, I know that I have a GIGANTIC wide + deep suck-out at 50Hz. By being in just the right place near the corner, the sub is able to fill that in, with a much smoother bass response graph.

So the success of a sub might depend more on the 'nulls' in your room. Also, getting the time-alignment right took weeks, and I found that the SAM% setting had a critical effect on the smoothness of the response (due to phase relationships), finally ending up with 25% as the best.

Don't forget that once you engage SAM, you can't use REL's High-Level connections from the speaker terminals.

How so? That means I need a preout version? I might just get a 140 Pro as other models seem to be overkill for LS50.
Because SAM modifies the bass signal specifically for the speakers, and it isn't appropriate to feed that to the subwoofer.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(21-Jan-2019, 21:16)Georgios Wrote:
(21-Jan-2019, 13:40)JohnnySix Wrote: I recently added a REL T7i to my 220 + PMC25.23 system, and it makes a significant contribution to bass evenness.  With SAM engaged, the speakers go as low as the sub, so extension was not my problem. It's the fact that from measurement, I know that I have a GIGANTIC wide + deep suck-out at 50Hz. By being in just the right place near the corner, the sub is able to fill that in, with a much smoother bass response graph.

[quote pid='81336' dateline='1548074421']
How so? That means I need a preout version? I might just get a 140 Pro as other models seem to be overkill for LS50.

[/quote]

So be sure to get the optional pre-out board installed.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(21-Jan-2019, 21:16)Georgios Wrote: [quote pid='81336' dateline='1548074421']

[/quote]

The passive LS50 has quite a coloured frequency response (appealing in the short term, more wanting the longer you hear it) whereas the active LS50W’s is almost perfect. Unless you are totally taken with that particular colouration, the Kef Ref 1 or R3 would be better bets to drive with an Expert, and could possibly let you avoid a sub altogether.
I´ve a 220 Pro with a pair of SF Guarneri Tradition and i´m considering to add a REL to try to achive a better/big medium/bass.
I’m guessing if I just don’t use SAM, I can still use high level connection?