Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul's System
(31-Jul-2020, 18:45)Sailor4W Wrote: Two things will be done in the near future: upgrade the Expert 120 to either the Expert Pro 140 or 220 and new speakers. As for speakers, I am eying two options: either the Buchardt S400s, or the Harbeth M30.1. I don‘t know which way to go first.

As you think about other upgrades, I'd suggest spending a bit of time going over the threads from 2016 or so about the Pro & CI upgrades. I went from a D120 to the D220 Pro, and the sonic character of the amps really is different. My thinking is that a Pro CI amp will sound different enough from the D120 Expert that it would, or could, affect your speaker choice.

Tha is just a thought, and you may already know about the sound profile of the Pro amps, but I wanted to mention it.

Nice room, by the way. I can certainly see that stand mount speakers are the right look & feel for your space.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(31-Jul-2020, 22:07)Damon Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 18:45)Sailor4W Wrote: Two things will be done in the near future: upgrade the Expert 120 to either the Expert Pro 140 or 220 and new speakers. As for speakers, I am eying two options: either the Buchardt S400s, or the Harbeth M30.1. I don‘t know which way to go first.

As you think about other upgrades, I'd suggest spending a bit of time going over the threads from 2016 or so about the Pro & CI upgrades. I went from a D120 to the D220 Pro, and the sonic character of the amps really is different. My thinking is that a Pro CI amp will sound different enough from the D120 Expert that it would, or could, affect your speaker choice.

Tha is just a thought, and you may already know about the sound profile of the Pro amps, but I wanted to mention it.

Nice room, by the way. I can certainly see that stand mount speakers are the right look & feel for your space.

Good point! Interestingly, the dealer I bought my Expert 120 from advises me against upgrading. They did that for some of their systems and he likes the somewhat smoother sound of the Experts better.

I will for sure audition the Pro thoroughly before deciding for an upgrade.

Again, the size of the room speaks against largish floorstanders, so monitors are the way to go. Furthermore, after many discussions, my wife came to like the slim standmounts and the speakers. Larger caliber speakers just wouldn‘t settle with her  Wink
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1