Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 120 & Chromecast -> Tidal
Hi!

Iˋm a new user of Devialet, coming from a Naim set up and I think the Devialet sound is more then fantastic!
But... I’m only streaming Tidal and Spotify via Chromecast, and I would like some advice for more streaming options. 
I have read about the Bluesound Node2i, so I also can use MQA.

Are there any better solutions then Bluesound, someone maybe have made some tests...?

Budget around 800-1000€

Thanks/ Johan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Devialet 220 Pro CI, Focal Electra 1028be2, Nordost Blue Heaven 2 (LS) speaker cable, Soundcare Superspikes, Tidal
Your budget would be the biggest indicator for suggestions.

I’m not sure what the chrome cast limitations are as far streaming limitations? When I 1st started streaming with my appletv in order to stream applemusic, amazon music, and tidal, it is limited to 16/44.1. Cd quality but not hi res.

I have since switched to a lumin u1 mini and use Roon and the lumin app to stream hi res Quboz up to 32/192. I think the dev and lumin could go higher, but that is as high as tracks I’ve found on the US beta of quboz.

There are many fans of the SOtM products, intel nucs, etc, as well as dedicated streamers such as lumin, auralic Aries, Innuous etc.

You can go from $-$$$ across the gamut, so once we know your intended budget, you will get many recommendations i’m Sure. Your blue sound node referenced would likely be fine. I sure better SQ than your current Chromecast. But I would bet, that many would tell you the other devices listed would be a step up in sq from the bluesound devices. It’s all incremental improvements, you just have to decide at what point does the cost not outweigh the sq improvement.

Welcome to the forum!
(06-Feb-2019, 19:05)mmorrison55 Wrote: Your budget would be the biggest indicator for suggestions.

I’m not sure what the chrome cast limitations are as far streaming limitations? When I 1st started streaming with my appletv in order to stream applemusic, amazon music, and tidal, it is limited to 16/44.1. Cd quality but not hi res.

I have since switched to a lumin u1 mini and use Roon and the lumin app to stream hi res Quboz up to 32/192. I think the dev and lumin could go higher, but that is as high as tracks I’ve found on the US beta of quboz.

There are many fans of the SOtM products, intel nucs, etc, as well as dedicated streamers such as lumin, auralic Aries, Innuous etc.

You can go from $-$$$ across the gamut, so once we know your intended budget, you will get many recommendations i’m Sure. Your blue sound node referenced would likely be fine. I sure better SQ than your current Chromecast. But I would bet, that many would tell you the other devices listed would be a step up in sq from the bluesound devices. It’s all incremental improvements, you just have to decide at what point does the cost not outweigh the sq improvement.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your reply mmorrison55!

Of course, sorry for that... I missed the budget. But around the same cost as the Bluesound node 2i, but we can say around 800-1000€.

Have you also tried MQA, is it available at Quboz?
Devialet 220 Pro CI, Focal Electra 1028be2, Nordost Blue Heaven 2 (LS) speaker cable, Soundcare Superspikes, Tidal
I have not tried it and qobuz does not do MQA. Tidal does so I may find a way to demo to try it out. Also the devialet does not support MQA so all the MQA processing will have to be done by the streamer. To be honest I do not know what this means for us DEV owners. Whether or not we could hear MQA the way it’s supposed to be heard like if we had a DAC that supported it fully like the Mytek Brooklyn etc. that did the processing on the dac side.

I’m sure someone here will chime in that has tried MQA and can comment if it’s worth pursuing.
(06-Feb-2019, 08:49)Graziano Wrote: Hi!

Iˋm a new user of Devialet, coming from a Naim set up and I think the Devialet sound is more then fantastic!
But... I’m only streaming Tidal and Spotify via Chromecast, and I would like some advice for more streaming options. 
I have read about the Bluesound Node2i, so I also can use MQA.

Are there any better solutions then Bluesound, someone maybe have made some tests...?

Budget around 800-1000€

Thanks/ Johan

Why don't you use the Devialet Air?  Better sound quality (IMO) the spdif /usb and free? For better user user interface look at Roon.
Little update, I bought one streamer but no sound difference to the chromecast I have. That's why I leave it.

BUT, now I want to take the step further towards better sound, therefore I have taken my computer with Windows 10 and ripped in a couple of CDs and tested Audirvana and played via ETH, Wifi (Air) and USB. I hear no direct sound difference between them.

But what is the next step...
- Should I buy a Mac instead, I have heard that it should be better purely sound-wise
- Drive on with Audirvana or test Roon and buy some Roon unit and test. Has read about Nucelues but it quite expensive.
- Go for an 220pro and take some benefits for that streaming module?
- Can I use my Ipad Pro in any other context more than streaming via the Chromecast?
(10-Mar-2019, 10:22)Graziano Wrote: Little update, I bought one streamer but no sound difference to the chromecast I have. That's why I leave it.

BUT, now I want to take the step further towards better sound, therefore I have taken my computer with Windows 10 and ripped in a couple of CDs and tested Audirvana and played via ETH, Wifi (Air) and USB. I hear no direct sound difference between them.

But what is the next step...
- Should I buy a Mac instead, I have heard that it should be better purely sound-wise
- Drive on with Audirvana or test Roon and buy some Roon unit and test. Has read about Nucelues but it quite expensive.
- Go for an 220pro and take some benefits for that streaming module?
- Can I use my Ipad Pro in any other context more than streaming via the Chromecast?
If you are looking to use Roon and are in the Apple family then you can run Roon on a Mac or MacBook like me and use the iPad or iPhone to control it.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
>>> Gerronwithit

Whats the benefits of Roon compared to others ones, for example Audirvana?