Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom remote control (hardware)
Hi from Italy.

I’m a brand new owner of a couple of Phantom Golds + Dialogue. I also own a single Phantom Classic  positioned in a different room and used as a mono/mix speaker.

Satisfied with the purchase and products. I used to be an audiophile with the classic big, heavy, expensive multi component hi-fi set. I do not regret I left  behind a 60k€ system while accepting minor but subtle quality listening limitations given by these new surprising toys. Flexibility, space saving and easy use was my need. File streaming is just what I need: it is the present and future development of the industry in any case, both for movies and music. 

The only minor downside (at the moment) is the volume control. A bit annoying to wake up the iPhone every time you need some volume adjustment and enter the Remote App (above all while watching movies when large volume gaps happen, e.g. action movies). At the same time the Devialet App Remote is not even immediately responsive as you touch the “virtual” knob; it takes a couple of seconds to “wake up”. The whole operation takes a few seconds that, even if not tragic, are distracting above all during movies.

If I set the volume control using the + and - buttons onto the iPhone or iPad, this is not granular enough to reach a satisfying dB emission. The volume gap is too large btw one touch and the other. 

Question: does the phisical -separately sold- Remote Control (hardware) solve these problems?
I mean: easy use/connection and immediate responsive feedback as you rotate the knob?

Surfing the web I see few very user reviews and some old and pour comments referred to few years ago (2015-2016).
The thing is not cheap and I just want to be sure to spend money properly. I feel like nobody knows if this hardware will be really updated soon.

Thanks for your feedbacks.
(12-Mar-2019, 23:27)massi.rav Wrote: Hi from Italy.

I’m a brand new owner of a couple of Phantom Golds + Dialogue. I also own a single Phantom Classic  positioned in a different room and used as a mono/mix speaker.

Satisfied with the purchases and products. I used to be an audiophile with the classic big, heavy, expensive multi component hi-fi set. I do not regret I left  behind a 60k€ system while accepting a minor but subtle quality listening limitatios given by these new surprising toys. Flexibility, space saving and easy use was my need. File streaming is just what I need: it is the present and future development of the industry in any case both for movies and music. 

The only minor downside (at the moment) is the volume control. A bit annoying to wake up the iPhone every time you need some volume adjustment and enter the Remote App (above all while watching movies when large volume gaps happen, e.g. action movies). At the same time the Devialet App Remote is not even immediately responsive as you touch the “virtual” knob; it takes a couple of seconds to “wake up”. The whole operation takes a few seconds that, even if not tragic, are distracting above all during movies.

If I set the volume control using the + and - bottoms onto the iPhone or iPad, this is not granular enough to reach a satisfying  dB emission. The volume gap is too large btw one touch and the other. 

Question: does the phisical -separately sold- Remote Control (hardware) solve these problems?
I mean: easy use/connection and immediate responsive feedback as you rotate the knob?

Surfing the web I see few users reviews and some old pour comments from 2015-2016.
The thing is not cheap and I just want to be sure to spend money properly. I feel like nobody knows if this hardware will be really updated soon.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

Yes it solve that kind of problems
I have 3 phantom remotes in my room
Thanks Johnny, already one positive feedback is a good thing to have.

Does the Remote Control connect via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? In case can you decide which one?

If, let’s say, the remote is already coupled to the stereo paired phantoms and I change the room moving the remote hardware with me, does it connect straight away to the other one and you can instantly operate the volume on the single mix phantom?

Thanks
Max
(13-Mar-2019, 19:29)massi.rav Wrote: Thanks Johnny, already one positive feedback is a good thing to have.

Does the Remote Control connect via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi? In case can you decide which one?

If, let’s say, the remote is already coupled to the stereo paired phantoms and I change the room moving the remote hardware with me, does it connect straight away to the other one and you can instantly operate the volume on the single mix phantom?

Thanks
Max

I have them not connected by Bluetooth but directly to one off the phantoms and it connect straight away to the other
(13-Mar-2019, 19:52)Johnnydev Wrote:
(13-Mar-2019, 19:29)massi.rav Wrote: Thanks Johnny, already one positive feedback is a good thing to have.

Thanks
Max

I have them not connected by Bluetooth but directly to one off the phantoms and it connect straight away to the other

Ok, so I guess this is happening also when you change from one room to another one and you get in proximity of a different phantom (and once the remote was previously paired with every phantom speakers).
(13-Mar-2019, 22:33)massi.rav Wrote:
(13-Mar-2019, 19:52)Johnnydev Wrote:

Thanks
Max

Ok, so I guess this is happening also when you change from one room to another one and you get in proximity of a different phantom (and once the remote was previously paired with every phantom speakers).

I don’t now
(14-Mar-2019, 09:15)PJohnnydev Wrote:
(13-Mar-2019, 22:33)massi.rav Wrote:
(13-Mar-2019, 19:52)Johnnydev Wrote: I have them not connected by Bluetooth but directly to one off the phantoms and it connect straight away to the other

I don’t now

I have then bought the Devialet Remote.
For the benefit of other readers: it works well indeed and I am mostly satisfied (even if expensive for the simple job it offers).

It probably pairs using Bluetooth with the phantoms. If, like me, you have two phantom systems in two different rooms (multiroom phantoms) and just one single Devialet Remote, you need to pair it to the phantom/s every time you change the listening room and you want to use the same Remote. 

Anyway pairing is a matter of three-four seconds by just bringing the Remote close to the speaker. If the speakers are both/all joined in the same room, it is enough to pair the remote to just one speaker. 

Downsides:
- The remote has an “infinite turning” metal knob (very smooth feeling) so a display indicating the dB level would have been appreciated. Otherwise it could have been enough having a knob with a “finite” turning/screw rotation, so to easily get minimum and maxim db level like in any standard -not displayable- volume knob ever existed. Nevertheless this is a very minor downside to me. 
- the remote probably goes in a sort of stand-by mode after few seconds folllowing the very last rotation. So if you want to instantly turn up the volume, the first tentative of rotation wakes up the remote, the second rotation raises the volume. It is a matter of one second so this is better than the same operations done with a tablet or phone (wake up the phone, insert the protective code or face/print control, then raise the volume with the application). 

The hardware remote is actually very granular for the dB increases or decreases, just like the App. 

Hope it helps other interested listeners.