Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sound quality - Roon RAAT vs Roon Air
Hi guys,

Since it has been a few months with the RAAT support, I was wondering about your views regarding the sound quality in RAAT mode vs Air mode through Roon.

My personal opinion is that the sound through Air + Roon is significantly more refined, transparent,... that the one through Raat. And I have therefore moved back to that.

My system is very revealing with Wilson Benech speakers connected through Cord Sarum T speaker cables.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I also prefer RAAT but there is a poll thread on the issue that you may like to read. There's quite a few who prefer AIR.

Are you using ethernet or wifi to connect with RAAT? There's also quite a few people who are having problems with dropouts and other issues with a gigabit speed ethernet connection. The problem doesn't occur with a 100 MBPS ethernet connection to the Devialet or if you connect by wifi, it seems to only occur with gigabit speed wired connections and not for all people. Both Devialet and Roon have been advised of the issue but despite the fact that it's now over 3 months since we got the Roon Ready update neither Devialet or Roon have come up with a fix or a statement about what the issue is. This problem also does not occur with AIR.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(30-May-2019, 02:14)bernardl Wrote: Hi guys,

Since it has been a few months with the RAAT support, I was wondering about your views regarding the sound quality in RAAT mode vs Air mode through Roon.

My personal opinion is that the sound through Air + Roon is significantly more refined, transparent,... that the one through Raat. And I have therefore moved back to that.

My system is very revealing with Wilson Benech speakers connected through Cord Sarum T speaker cables.

Cheers,
Bernard

I agree with you, AIR is better than RAAT at the moment (I just added my vote to the poll David mentioned)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
The poll mentioned is here: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Which-so...grated-AIR
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks!
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I wonder if the differences in sound quality is due to the listener's preferences or the different systems?
(29-Jul-2019, 17:51)DavidE Wrote: I wonder if the differences in sound quality is due to the listener's preferences or the different systems?
It clearly varies with system, I'm not so sure about preferences. In my setup the difference is quite clear in favor of AIR. So much in fact that I guess one who prefer RAAT in his/her system would find AIR better in mine.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I just updated to Roon 1.8, and have been having audio dropout issues (streaming radio, Tidal and local library files). It starts around 5 to 10 mins into play, once it started it keeps repeating every few minutes, sometimes multiple dropouts within a song, which makes it unusable.

However, there's no dropout issues with Meridian M218 and Devialet AIR endpoints which are on the same network. It's strange since Devialet AIR works on the same device, which points to Roon 1.8 RAAT protocol issues with Devialet "Roon Ready" endpoint. Has anyone noticed the same problem?
Devialet Pro 250 Core Infinity; Meridian: Control15 (2), MS600 and 218 (3), Sooloos Core on QNAP, Roon Core on Nucleus+ 4TB SSD
Technics SL1200GAE, Audio Technica AT33PTG; Focal Utopia Scala; Transparent Reference cables; PS Audio P5 Regenerator (2), MIT in-wall conditioner
The same here: AIR is better than RAAT.
(26-Jul-2021, 22:09)Saint0 Wrote: I just updated to Roon 1.8, and have been having audio dropout issues (streaming radio, Tidal and local library files). It starts around 5 to 10 mins into play, once it started it keeps repeating every few minutes, sometimes multiple dropouts within a song, which makes it unusable.

However, there's no dropout issues with Meridian M218 and Devialet AIR endpoints which are on the same network. It's strange since Devialet AIR works on the same device, which points to Roon 1.8 RAAT protocol issues with Devialet "Roon Ready" endpoint. Has anyone noticed the same problem?

What is your network configuration/setup? Ever since the last Devialet firmware, I have had zero dropouts using RAAT, regardless of file size, source (NUC/NAS or NUC/Qobuz) or format.
Everything in  my network is wired and in the same room as my main system. Everything is on a single Gigabit switch. My second system (home office) is 2 floors up and connected via Mesh wifi6. Also there zero dropouts even with DSD256 files. Both Roon and Devialet are sensitive to network issues, even if nothing else on your network indicates problems. Endless posts on the Roon support forum all end up being about network issues (Roon not liking a particular configuration or a particular piece of hardware in the LAN setup).
If at all possible, run a wired setup in your LAN and check for dropouts. If you still get them, try a different switch (nothing fancy - no need for so-called audiophile network switches, which do nothing anyway).
System: Roon on NUC, music library on Synology NAS, all connected via ethernet. Thorens TD-160 super (revised and restored) with SME 3009-III, Devialet Expert pro 440 CI, Marten Django XL