Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone turning DPM off?
I noticed an interesting line from the recent review of the Devialet Expert 220 Pro in Stereo (German) magazine.  When describing a particular track as shining "all the way from full but concise bass, to the homogeneous mid-range, and the delicate treble and draining synthesizer waves backed into the depths of the stage." (Okay, the prose is a bit purple but stay with me.)  "The 220 could do this in a more natural way when the 'Dynamic Power Management' (DPM) was turned off."  Huh, it never occurred to me to turn off DPM in the 220 menu.  Has anyone done this and what is your experience in terms of SQ?
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(12-Jun-2019, 03:04)Flashman Wrote: I noticed an interesting line from the recent review of the Devialet Expert 220 Pro in Stereo (German) magazine.  When describing a particular track as shining "all the way from full but concise bass, to the homogeneous mid-range, and the delicate treble and draining synthesizer waves backed into the depths of the stage." (Okay, the prose is a bit purple but stay with me.)  "The 220 could do this in a more natural way when the 'Dynamic Power Management' (DPM) was turned off."  Huh, it never occurred to me to turn off DPM in the 220 menu.  Has anyone done this and what is your experience in terms of SQ?

Yes, my DPM is OFF. Check my signature .. makes a 'huge' difference.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
My 120 sounds truly awful with DPM on.
It’s always off
There is an improvement and I leave mine off.

There is another thread about this here:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-To-DPM-o...amic+power
Roon Lifetime, Innuos Zenith Mk3, Devialet Expert 440 Pro CI, PMC twenty5.26, IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas Power Conditioning 
Bryston BCD-3, Rega RP10, Aphelion MC, Rega Aura, Sennheiser HDV820/HD820 
AQ NRG-Z3, AQ Diamond Ethernet, ISOAcoustics OREA Pucks, AQ Thunder, AQ Castle Rock, IsoTek Evo3 Optimum IEC, Van Den Hul Interconnects, HiFi Racks Podium Reference Rack
(12-Jun-2019, 03:04)Flashman Wrote: I noticed an interesting line from the recent review of the Devialet Expert 220 Pro in Stereo (German) magazine.  When describing a particular track as shining "all the way from full but concise bass, to the homogeneous mid-range, and the delicate treble and draining synthesizer waves backed into the depths of the stage." (Okay, the prose is a bit purple but stay with me.)  "The 220 could do this in a more natural way when the 'Dynamic Power Management' (DPM) was turned off."  Huh, it never occurred to me to turn off DPM in the 220 menu.  Has anyone done this and what is your experience in terms of SQ?

Yes, DPM is OFF.
DPM is on in my case.

Since I failed to reliably identify any difference in a Blind Test (both when it was a D120 and now a D220), I keep it on to lower the temperatures and therefore increase the lifetime of the D220.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Off since day one. Wink

See also: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-To-DPM-o...e-question

Edit; oops, I see Monitor also posted a link to that thread! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks to all for your responses, as well as the link to the previous thread, which I had not seen.

Well, I guess I will experiment, though Jean-Marie's comment about preserving the life of the Devialet with appropriate thermal management must be factored in.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Could someone explain how I turn DPM off? Not sure I’ve noticed this in configurator?
(12-Jun-2019, 19:23)kompressor Wrote: Could someone explain how I turn DPM off? Not sure I’ve noticed this in configurator?

It is in "General settings" section.