Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hugo2, chordmojo, dragonfly, optical..
Hi there, I’ve been using tidal for the last month, I’m trying to get the best possible sound out of my reactors and was wondering if optical connection is the best.
As i is use iPhone and iPad as my main audio devices and i know these two aren’t capable of optical,i came across these external Dac’s where you convert the signal from your phone into analogue audio.
The question is
Is this sort of device good or necessary when you already have reactors own DAC?
And if this device is good and indeed makes a difference, would it be worth to buy and use alongside tidal compared to airplay??
Should i try and find an optical connection solution like this? Or AirPlay is close sound wise
I reckon if you're going to spend any money to improve the sound out of your phantoms it's best spent on either room treatment or going up in the phantom range. Anything on the digital side of things will have minimal impact if any.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
If you are desperate to try optical just buy a Chromecast audio and plug it into the phantom optical socket. Then you can stream direct from iPhone to Phantom optical Smile

But I wouldn’t bother - it sounds like you are trying to find something to mess about with but now you have phantom there is no need for tinkering Smile

I only do it with mine so I can use a Dspeaker antimode for room correction to sort out some bass boom
(05-Jul-2019, 04:56)Juanbk Wrote: Hi there, I’ve been using tidal for the last month, I’m trying to get the best possible sound out of my reactors and was wondering if optical connection is the best.
As i is use iPhone and iPad as my main audio devices and i know these two aren’t capable of optical,i came across these external Dac’s where you convert the signal from your phone into analogue audio.
The question is
Is this sort of device good or necessary when you already have reactors own DAC?
And if this device is good and indeed makes a difference, would it be worth to buy and use alongside tidal compared to airplay??
Should i try and find an optical connection solution like this? Or AirPlay is close sound wise
I am using roon with auralic aries mini via optical out to the reactor 900's, I have DSP set to 24bit / 96 in roon so that the reactors onboard dac has less work to do thus in theory getting pretty decent sound quality. I also own a mojo but have not tried this out with the reactors yet.
(11-Oct-2019, 22:02)Scooboo81 Wrote:
(05-Jul-2019, 04:56)Juanbk Wrote: Hi there, I’ve been using tidal for the last month, I’m trying to get the best possible sound out of my reactors and was wondering if optical connection is the best.
The question is
I am using roon with auralic aries mini via optical out to the reactor 900's, I have DSP set to 24bit / 96 in roon so that the reactors onboard dac has less work to do thus in theory getting pretty decent sound quality. I also own a mojo but have not tried this out with the reactors yet.

How much difference in sound quality you feel while steaming direct to phantoms vs using the aries mini ? Is it worth the extra $$?
Yes I think it is..... definitely clearer and more defined sound with optical from aries mini. Just tried usb audio out from aries mini through chord mojo to phantoms via 3.5mm and although this only supports 24/48.....it sounds amazing! The micro detail and separation of instruments is on another level, Bass it tighter too with lower noise floor. Might invest in a quality 3.5 cable now and run like this all the time.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
(05-Jul-2019, 10:50)Pim Wrote: I reckon if you're going to spend any money to improve the sound out of your phantoms it's best spent on either room treatment or going up in the phantom range. Anything on the digital side of things will have minimal impact if any.

With my experiences, I absolutely disagree with you.
Optical, ethernet, PLC, it all makes a difference in SQ with my golds
(13-Nov-2019, 23:32)Scooboo81 Wrote: Yes I think it is..... definitely clearer and more defined sound with optical from aries mini. Just tried usb audio out from aries mini through chord mojo to phantoms via 3.5mm and although this only supports 24/48.....it sounds amazing! The micro detail and separation of instruments is on another level, Bass it tighter too with lower noise floor. Might invest in a quality 3.5 cable now and run like this all the time.

I agree. I invested in the Auralic Aries G1 (connected on one of the phantoms by optical) and it sounds a lot cleaner and more detailed. I would not say it's night and day but it's pretty significant
I should say that my setup is 2 x phantoms connected via PLC, ethernet. Power is from some RFI/EMI reducing power adapters, nothing crazy expensive. This did improve the stability of the stereo pairing. Auralic aries mini has a IFI power switch. I may try a spdif ipurifer from IFI too. Would love to upgrade my digital source.....The G1 is a lovely piece of kit!

I don't hear a difference between digital sources.
It could be expectation bias since there is no mechanism I know of by which there could be a difference but I know lots of enthusiasts seem to believe they do.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire