Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Absolute Sound" Sept. 2019 award Dev 220
The September 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound gives a "Golden Ear" award to the Devialet Expert 220 Pro.

The short piece is written by Robert E. Greene and starts by saying that the amp is one of the best "ever."

The piece lauds SAM as a killer feature, saying it checks the speaker 86,000 times a second (didn't know this).  "The results," he says, "are all but uncanny."

Now here's the puzzling thing: at the end of the piece, the writer says that "The SAM system is something new, and truly remarkable.  Review forthcoming (my emphasis)."  Say, what?  SAM has been around a long time.  I think I read somewhere that Devialet is intent on rolling out its various bits of technology in non-Devialet devices.  I wonder whether this is what he's referring to.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
He's the best audio reviewer in the business IMHO and I look forward to the review. I assume he means SAM is a truly innovative technology, although you are right it's not new in the sense that it has been around for a few years.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

(17-Aug-2019, 13:30)Flashman Wrote: The September 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound gives a "Golden Ear" award to the Devialet Expert 220 Pro.

The short piece is written by Robert E. Greene and starts by saying that the amp is one of the best "ever."

The piece lauds SAM as a killer feature, saying it checks the speaker 86,000 times a second (didn't know this).  "The results," he says, "are all but uncanny."

Now here's the puzzling thing: at the end of the piece, the writer says that "The SAM system is something new, and truly remarkable.  Review forthcoming (my emphasis)."  Say, what?  SAM has been around a long time.  I think I read somewhere that Devialet is intent on rolling out its various bits of technology in non-Devialet devices.  I wonder whether this is what he's referring to.
hello Flashman.  i cant seem to find the review. not published yet?
(18-Aug-2019, 18:23)Sorensen Wrote:
(17-Aug-2019, 13:30)Flashman Wrote: The September 2019 issue of The Absolute Sound gives a "Golden Ear" award to the Devialet Expert 220 Pro.

hello Flashman.  i cant seem to find the review. not published yet?
It's not online but a friend of mine sent me a screenshot.  I am glad to share it if you send me your email address.  I don't want to put it online out of respect for publishing standards.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(18-Aug-2019, 17:07)AaronG Wrote: He's the best audio reviewer in the business IMHO
Good to know!
I wonder when the review will be online, would love to read it.
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari. 
[img][https://ibb.co/X7myhrB][Image: devialet-220-Pro.jpg][/img]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Thanks for this.
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari. 
https://blinkhighend.com/devialet-expert...olden-ear/
Clearaudio Solution Cmb - Clearaudio Syncro Power - Achromat - The Wand Plus II - AT Oc9 III - Nuc Cirrus7  Roon Rock - Cisco sg200-08 - D220 Expert Pro Ci - PMC LB1 Signature with SAM - Egglestonworks Fontaine II - 2x BK 200Xls ff Mk2 - Meicord Eth - Siltech New York - Audioquest Nrg Z3 - HAF Drc

Marietto - Italia
There's a longer review in the October 2019 issue, now. Its essentially the same thing, only in long form.