Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reactors for deejaying
Hello, tried searching for this thread somewhere here but couldn’t find it.
My question is, if i want 2 reactors for deejaying, am i going to be able to use them?
I know that with the option of reducing latency the delay will improve
But, is going to work?
Can i properly dj?
In theory, it could work for deejaying. However, I would be concerned whether they can survive the rough treatment, being dropped, moved around or even being handled by the crowd (looks so cute!).
I think your going to have a problem with the latency.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
What i mean is not moving them from place to place and make parties, what i mean is more on the latency side, i will have them at home with a decent sound level, but that latency is not going to be an issue when mixing tracks
The latency is unacceptable for any type of live performance, in my opinion.
(10-Oct-2019, 02:41)njaiswal Wrote: I think your going to have a problem with the latency.
You are the experienced one here on latency of the Reactors! Will they work when only track mixing is done, per below?

(10-Oct-2019, 02:54)Juanbk Wrote: What i mean is not moving them from place to place and make parties, what i mean is more on the latency side, i will have them at home with a decent sound level, but that latency is not going to be an issue when mixing tracks
The latency is a minimum of 60ms and realistically more than that in real world applications.

This means that when you press a performance pad or pull the record back or whatever (I don’t know your setup) it will feel slightly disconnected from what you hear. I couldn’t DJ with them.
(10-Oct-2019, 05:51)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(10-Oct-2019, 02:41)njaiswal Wrote: I think your going to have a problem with the latency.
You are the experienced one here on latency of the Reactors! Will they work when only track mixing is done, per below?

(10-Oct-2019, 02:54)Juanbk Wrote: What i mean is not moving them from place to place and make parties, what i mean is more on the latency side, i will have them at home with a decent sound level, but that latency is not going to be an issue when mixing tracks
They won’t. For any type of performance you want to have them in “custom install mode” which will eliminate any issues arising from syncing them. In that mode the reactors are hard coded at 190ms. That is way to much for any live performance.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(10-Oct-2019, 20:17)njaiswal Wrote: They won’t. For any type of performance you want to have them in “custom install mode” which will eliminate any issues arising from syncing them. In that mode the reactors are hard coded at 190ms. That is way to much for any live performance.
Thank you. Pardon my ignorance, but why do you need "custom install mode"? If using normal mode with its smaller latency, why can't the Reactors be used? I would have thought that mixing tracks on a PC is like any of us playing music? Yes, there would be latency when DJ is doing announcements, but if it is small enough, maybe this does not matter?
You need custom install mode for reliability. But if you were using the smaller latency mode, this depends on your definition of DJing.

For me, DJing is a performance art. I might be scratching, triggering samples, and so on. For that, I need instant response or it becomes impossible.

If I'm mixing two songs together, I would listen to the incoming song on headphones (with zero latency) while listening to the current song out of speakers (with 60ms of latency). I would time these perfectly together, then fade in the new song (mass simplification, but hopefully you get the idea). If the speakers have a slight delay then when I bring the new song in, they will be out of time by 60ms.

Imagine trying to play a piano where every time you press a key, the sound didn't occur until 60ms later. It would be awful. This is the same.